Recreational Shooting

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
brianb83

Post by brianb83 »

How many of you guys go shooting regularly in the SG mountains?
OutdoorAbstract

Post by OutdoorAbstract »

I don't always go shooting but when I do I enjoy Burro Canyon.
http://www.burrocanyon.com/
brianb83

Post by brianb83 »

OutdoorAbstract wrote: I don't always go shooting but when I do I enjoy Burro Canyon.
http://www.burrocanyon.com/
Shooting ranges are cool and all, but going hiking and setting up a few targets is always better to me for some reason :b Of course, being considerate afterwards and picking up my empty casings afterwards.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Most places in the ANF are off limits to recreational shooting. They had some areas available in the past, but there were so many problems with the areas getting utterly trashed, that they closed some or all off them down. I don't know if any "open shooting" areas exist anymore.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Not since I was real little. I go way into the high desert for that, far from people. Used to shoot a lot.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Most places in the ANF are off limits to recreational shooting. They had some areas available in the past, but there were so many problems with the areas getting utterly trashed, that they closed some or all off them down. I don't know if any "open shooting" areas exist anymore.

HJ
Exactly. When target shooting in ANF was banned it was done with the condition of allowing private concessionaires and responsible entities to establish public and private shooting ranges. When the law went into effect there were 16 open areas where it was still legal to target shoot. Over the years those were all closed for a variety of reasons, ranging from arroyo toads to trash and safety concerns. Legal hunting with firearms is still allowed within an assortment of restrictions.
If anyone wants to look up the wording, it's in the LA County Code, title 13, chapter 66, section 550.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thank you for that. I thought all the "open" shooting areas were closed, but wasn't sure.

HJ
tracker

Post by tracker »

If you ever saw Lytle Creek in its heyday, it was scary. There was no brush taller than about your waist and there was a mat of shotgun hulls about 8" thick in the firing area. Kentucky Canyon wasn't much better.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

umm fires too

It only takes a few irresponsible people to screw over the remaining majority of responsible users

This is the case through out the area in all recreational pursuits
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Was there one at Sulfur Springs back in the day? I remember being on a hike and hearing gunfire.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

shreddy wrote: Was there one at Sulfur Springs back in the day? I remember being on a hike and hearing gunfire.
Yes...Pinyon Flats. It was a horrific war zone, with every kind of furniture and appliances all shot to hell. Not long after the Arroyo Toad closings, which included the road between Sulfur Springs and Littlerock Dam, the FS cleaned it up.

(EDIT: Pinyon, not Cedar! D'OH!)
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks Tom. Now that I reflect back I recall a bullet-ridden TV and bullets whizzing by. Go outta there fast!
David R

Post by David R »

On the hike up to Bare Mountain through the closed zone from Sulphur Springs, just after you leave the fire road to head up the steep firebreak to the ridge, you cross a small hill which is covered with broken glass. the legacy of the shoot outs. If you hike from 39 up to the start of Pigeon Ridge you will also find evidence of a prior war zone that used to be up there pre-1995, not too bad but pretty obvious.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Private range at Burro Canyon is the hot ticket:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/s ... 535713500/

A Place to Shoot is said to be pretty good, but I have never been there.
Nunc est bibendum