Feb 2014 Death Valley Weekend

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Headed to Death Valley the other day with Amanda and Kevin, where we met up with the usual suspects and did a couple canyons. Day one was Big Shit Canyon, which was fun and easy. Usual long steep approach. Day two we went out to the famous Widowmaker/Undertaker with the 580ft rappel. I didn't nearly have as much fun as I was initially scared as I don't dig long rapps in Death Valley in particular, but then I was just pissed as I had my haulbag (carried the 600ft rapp line up the hike in it) with another couple packs inside the haulbag. Wore it on my back instead of hanging it off my secondary belay loop. Not a good plan. Had a chest rig I made which improved things, but point is I was lying horizontal unable to really control my rappel much for nearly the entire time. Cursed up a storm until I landed flat on my ass on the ground. Not fun. Amanda had a blast, but she's weird like that. Everyone else had a good time.

Albums
Day 1:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 128969714/

Day 2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 128428873/

Some select pics:

Hike up on day 1

Madness

Cool things with ropes

ID the car

Beautiful looking wall of awful rock in Undertaker

50ft rapp or so to the top of Widowmaker

I'm just so excited.

I think that's Amanda.

Reppin'
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Love the Death Valley. Something for everyone. Jealous.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Perfect weekend for the desert. That last rap shot really gives you a sense of scale. Freakin' massive.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Actually had the chance to visit DV two weekends ago. Had an amazing time as well. Can't wait to head back.

We spent a couple of days in Panamint City, hiked in from Chris Wicht Camp.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

that Widowmaker is so aptly named 8)
fantastic pics showing the scale of everything.