8.6-7 - minaret lake overnighter from devil's postpile

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Went out for what became an overnighter for me to Minaret Lake, up from Devil's Postpile. Full TR, pics, and my overdetailed commentary is here: http://summitascents.com/2013/08/08/8-6 ... ernighter/

My three friends and I spent the first night car camping at Lake Mary to acclimate. Didn't get much sleep though, due to some dumb drunks next to us, as well as a couple of fighting bears running through the site the whole night. I think I got about 30 minutes of sleep.

We drove in to Postpile around 630, had a quick bar breakfast, and were off. We took a wrong turn (no turn really) at a three way junction. This added 2-3 miles to our trek and 800' of gain. Suck.

We backtracked and began ascending the real trail. About 2 miles up that, I began to bonk hard, probably from the lack of sleep the previous two nights. Up til now, my HR had been around 80% or higher and I was using a lot of glycogen. This is a limited energy source - which I knew - but I couldn't seem to drop below that, no matter what I did. We fought on, going up the trail that was somewhat steep (think Mt Wilson trail with a full pack). I just focused and fought and fought, eating, drinking, using different steps (lots of rest steps), until we finally made Minaret Lake.

ML is absolutely beautiful and has an insanely cool view of the Minaret spears and their glaciers. I tried to focus on the beauty around me but I started barfing up water and anything I ate (or would try to eat). I slept through the night maybe 6 hours and in the morning, things seemed as bad or worse with my body. We decided to take a 0 day for everyone to recover.

By 1:00, I was actually getting worse. I knew the next day would be 10 miles of class 1 and 2 cross country terrain towards 1000 Island Lake through Ediza and Nydiver. I would need my A-Game ready and bailing out mid journey would not be a very easy option. At 2, I made the really sad and disappointing decision to split from the group and depart.

I weighed myself when I got home; I lost about 8 pounds during this trip. This confirmed my decision to leave (at least to me). However, I was able to take in some beautiful scenary and hang out with some awesome friends.

A few pics:

Smoke from the nearby Western Sierras Fire

Unique guest on our lunch break

Minaret Creek

Minaret Lake
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Love that area up there. I've never been to Minaret Lake, but I'm definitely adding that to our next trip up.

Sorry to hear you had to bail out, but sounds like you definitely made the right decision again.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks mcp. its absolutely beautiful and worth the hike. i'll definitely be back there for sure.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Good move to call it off before you got into a bad situation. The mountains will always be there.
I noticed on my trip that my heart rate was pretty high, I blamed it on the elevation. While going up the steeper parts (Forester) I was around 170, even my resting rate in the tent at 13K feet was 96.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks Jeff. It helps to know I'm not the only one who gets nutty with elevation. I liked your idea in the other post on two days of acclimation. I think I'm going to give that a try next. Keep posting your trips, they're always enlightening.