End of Spring Backpacking in the Sierra's

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Went on a 5 day backpacking trip with a couple good friends. Started outside Mammoth Lakes over Duck Pass, walked around a few days, visited hot springs & ate some food. Then ended at Devil's Postpile

Story & photos here: http://jdboggs.blogspot.com/2013/06/iva ... cking.html

Here is the video synopsis. Enjoy friends.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Super nice JDB. Jealous.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Most excellent!

I'm going to be in that area over the July 4th weekend.

How was the mosquito situation?

Was there any damage from the wind event south of Reds Meadow?

Could you send me a GPX of your trip? (Trimble outdoors requires a paid account to download)
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

mattmaxon wrote:
How was the mosquito situation?
The higher elevations on the first couple days weren't too bad. No bites. Lower in Cascade Valley they were present near the river, but weren't overwhelming. DEET & it was solved. Iva Bell was a bit worse, but again, not a nuisance. By the end others had different perceptions of the situation, again it didnt bother me, but the worse of us walked away with 15 to 20 bites over the 5 days.
Was there any damage from the wind event south of Reds Meadow?
There was significant damage evidence starting at Iva Bell Hot Springs on down to Island Crossing, then again the last few miles to Devil's Postpile due to the Rainbow Fire. Lots of trees blown down with large root systems showing everywhere. In no way did it detract from the beauty, the forest is extremely full in that area, if anything it was an odd landscape at times. Lots of work has been down to clear the trees from the trails. May have only climbed over 4 or 5 trees... could have been something close to 30 if it weren't for whoever put in the work.