Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth on the JMT

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
everyday

Post by everyday »

was trying to run from Tuolumne to Mammoth yesterday, and made great time the first 12 miles, then got into lots of snow and lost the trail often, which made running impossible, walked the next 15 miles and trudged through snowfields, and crossed over 20 snow melt creeks, most ankle deep, alot knee deep, a few waist deep, then the last 6 miles i was able to run more but was pretty slow and tired after all the snow crossing. It was pretty challenging for me this early in the year because there were still large areas of snow making finding the trail difficult at best. Got a lil scared when i couldnt find the trail on the backside of Donohue pass for 45 minutes due to snow, and sank to my waist a couple times in deeper rocky areas, but everything worked out, i got a little almost-panicked, but got myself together an' scouted the area for the trail from the east side to the west and finally found it. things would go smooth awhile, then another snowy area to cross would come up, and the hunt for the trail would begin again. When it started getting dark, Ryan (Taco) walked up the trail a few miles to meet me which was awesome so i didnt have to find my way to the end alone at night :) ==So, my 9 hour run became a 15 hour hike/trudging through snow learning experience, but thats cool, it gave me some excitement and occasional feelings of fear to handle. ill do it again in august when snows gone. the scenery was absolutely amazingly beautiful. I cant wait to go out in this area again.

heres pics and for location, open garmin link

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/323026534

pleasant enough beginning.

Marmot!

Heading to those mountains ahead there

Making ok time, thatll end when i hit the snows at bout 10,500

the less maintained trails, i like these :)

See the trail just behind that grey rock, yes, you wade that creek, yes its cold and waist deep. (glad im only wearing my running shorts n brooks trailrunning shoes n tshirt, so I dry really fast, the air was probly 70?

yay, more water crossings

oh good, now the creeks are ON the trail, easier to refill my waterbottle

over 10,500ft now

dressed for snow!

top of Donohue Pass

In yo!

my time is suffering, ha

South i go! if only i can find ze twail ..., as long as im heading south and down im good right?

pretty cool

stormy

cloudy sunny cloudy sunny....crazy mountain weathers!

Living here is pretty cool :) itsa pretty awesome place to get to run around in everyday.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Amazing! One day, ill make it there.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Looks so awesome! how long did it take you to Mammoth?

I am gearing up to do the JMT, starting on July 2nd, never been to Yosemite and can't wait! I don't think I will have as much snow when I go.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the awesome pics of your epic run. It takes some special motivation and willpower to look at those snow-covered mountains and say, "I'm going to run through that in shorts and t-shirt!"
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ Beantown- 15.5 hours 730AM til 1100PM. I think hikers do it in 2 or 3 days though. Ima trailrunner traveling VERY light, , 1 tiny pack, 1 bagel, 4 granola bars. cranberry juice, lemonade, and some jelly beans, 1 warmy long-sleeve, 1 pair gloves, 1 pair dry socks, 1 pair YakTrax for snow. total pack was 5.6LBS. and i live at elevation and do this all the time, I run mountainy trails between 4000-8000ft almost everyday as i live here in Yosemite, so dont go by my time unless you do that too. however, that said, youll have less snow, and that added hours to my trip.

@ Sean, thanx! it was a little sketchy sometimes, im pretty smart and have LOTS of experience runnin alone in the middle of nowhere, and am good at routefinding, but I DEFINATELY had some good luck in places, where if i hadnt had it, I woulda been sleeping out there last night instead of at the condo here in Mammoth! It was the most unnerving run ive ever done for sure . :shock: but now i get to keep what i learned and not be afraid next time which is why i like this kind of stuff :D
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sweet adventure ED. It makes me happy to know there is still a fair amount of snow up in them thar hills. I really like that stretch along Shadow Creek west of Shadow Lake. Spectacular scenery all the way to Ediza.

Out of curiosity, what was the motivation to stay on the JMT down to Red's Meadow as opposed to following the PCT from Thousand Islands Lake down to Agnews Meadow (or continuing down Shadow Creek to the N. Fork of the San Joaquin and the out at Agnews)? Mileage, trail conditions, avoiding the miserable grind from Olaine Lake back up to Agnews after a long day on the trail? Inquiring minds want to know.
everyday

Post by everyday »

@ Uncle Rico-- Taco parked at the Reds meadow area to meet me near Devils postpile. We just did it that way cause I wanted to see the postpile, which i didnt see after all. it was dark n i was pooped. no logistical reasons though.

oh, and at Sean again, the shorts were fine actually as it was a windless day and maybe 70 degrees ide guess?? (Also, the dryfit shorts n T actually were great for the waist deep creek crossings, as that nike stuff drys REALLY fast. so i didnt stay soggy for long. same with my Brooks Puregrit2 shoes, they dried well too, never even changed socks) - i never felt cold until after 6pm, then i put on my longsleeve dryfit top and my gloves. after meeting up with Taco for the last 6 miles, i put on his beenie, and was a little chilled. but all in all was ok
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

Oh man, what great memories from my JMT trip last year. That stretch was one of my favorites, especially that small fording across the creek just in the shadow of Donahue. It was so pretty in that area that we ended up staying the night on the other side of the creek there. Things look a little more covered in white than when I did it! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

LOL can't believe you ran all that way, then again I can't believe i'm going to hike all that way!