Mt Baldy in April 2013

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have a friend coming in from the East Coast in early April next year and wants to hike to the Summit of Baldy. Does anyone have any data on if the snow is usually gone by then in an average year? I cant remember when it clears enough to hike up the hut trail.

Thanks for your help,
Sean

Post by Sean »

It's quite possible you'll encounter snow in early April. At that time last year storms were still dropping snow as low as Icehouse Canyon. I did hike the Bear Canyon Trail to Baldy in March with only a few patches of snow and none on the summit. But most of that trail melts quickly because it's exposed to the sun much of the day. My experience with the Ski Hut is that snow and ice tends to linger around the bowl area, especially the climb through the trees up to the ridge after the hut.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Good intel on Bear Canyon Trail I have done that one also and it is a great hike. We can divert there if there is still snow on the ground.
Thanks again.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Every year is different. Some years people are skiing and glissading down the bowl in April and other years the mountain is bone dry in April. It's way too early to know what conditions will be like in April 2013.