Quick bear bag question

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Would those of you in the know suggest hanging bear bags at such spots as Lupine or Little Jimmy?
I've hiked through them both but don't remember, or expect, bear boxes. Is it necessary or just an extra precaution?
Thanks in advance.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Hang it; Both of those places have a history of bear problems.
Odd, but LJ has had more problems (attacks) than the camps right on the pavement.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

tracker wrote: Hang it; Both of those places have a history of bear problems.
Odd, but LJ has had more problems (attacks) than the camps right on the pavement.
Appreciate that Tracker. Thanks.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hey Tracker, do you have any additional info on the LJ bear attacks at all? Any would be appreciated since I tend to spend a great deal of time in that general area.
tracker

Post by tracker »

Dragon wrote: Hey Tracker, do you have any additional info on the LJ bear attacks at all? Any would be appreciated since I tend to spend a great deal of time in that general area.
What do you want to know? I may be able to come up with a few facts....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There was one bear at Little Jimmy that was so aggressive that he was literally knocking over campers. One person set their pack down just after arriving at camp and was knocked over by that bear as the bear went straight for the pack.

I think they got rid of that particular bear, but Little Jimmy is a high use area visited by a lot of low experience campers. In other words all the things that add up to bear problems. Good bear protocols definitely recommended.

HJ
tracker

Post by tracker »

I used to be an Assistant Scoutmaster with my local troop so I kept real close tabs on things that parents get spooked about. Of course, bear and mountain lion activity is high on that list. What surprised me about LJ was the number of incidents compared to those roadside dumps AKA "campgrounds". You would think places like Buckhorn or Coldbrook would have more problems than a campground that the public can't drive to; but not so. Well, Chilao had that one attack but that was caused by an employee living on-site and intentionally feeding bears.
Years ago I did notice that LJ's problems started when the concessionaire at Crystal Lake was thrown out, leaving the place empty. Just a guess but a whole bunch of dumptster divers found their selves homeless and LJ is just over the hill. It might account for the aggressive, almost competitive nature of the LJ stuff too.

:shock: I'd still hang it all though. :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Enh. Don't sweat it. I mean, what could happen? :wink:

HJ
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Enh. Don't sweat it. I mean, what could happen? :wink:

HJ
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco

Post by Taco »

One of the best Gary Larson cartoons ever.