Head lamps and hiking at night.

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The other day from my back yard I saw a lone hiker up near Hastings Peak just before sunset and got to thinking how cool it would be to watch the sunset from up there. Of course you would need a light of some sorts to safely hike back down. Any recommendations for head lamps?

My criteria would be:
- fairly lightweight to always carry (rarely use it on purpose but have for an emergency)
- bright enough to provide enough contrast to see roots, rocks other trip hazards
- significant battery life (AAA batteries?)
- multiple settings (lo, hi, etc.)

Does color of the light beam matter? Red, white, green, etc.?

I currently carry the Photon Freedom Micro (white LED beam) with a visor clamp. Weighs about 0.7 ounces (talk about lightweight). I've used it once hiking up from Wanker Flats to the Ski Hut but had to take it slow because I was stumbling alot over rocks I couldn't see very clearly.

Comments? Recommendations? Tips on hiking at night? Critter issues?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've got one of these http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/20405/

I rather like it since I like to back pack and sometimes I like to take (ahem) short walks in the middle of the night. It also helps if you're getting back late or up after dark at your campsite.

The XP has a boost mode that really casts quite a bright light for such a small device. Head down to an REI or whatever and check out the options, but I like this one. A bit pricey, but a lot nicer than my old 1st generation LED headlamp that I got in 2000 (2001?).

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

I have the average Joe Petzl Tikka. The XP uses LED's or something. AAA's last a long time (on my first set for the past couple years), great for anything I've done.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Petzl Tikka = yuck....no power(cant see squat), no distance, what else? Why not just use a flashlight?
pilot

Post by pilot »

I use a Princeton Tec EOS. It's waterproof to 1 meter, used 3 AAA batteries and has a single 1 watt LED. There are four modes: hi, med, low and flashing. The Petzl Tikka XP is also pretty good, especially since it has that diffuser lens that you can slide out over the LED. Generally, a headlamp with a flood is more useful around camp and one with a more focused beam is more useful while hiking on the trail.

If you like hacking things, some of these headlamps can be easily modified with a better LED emitter. I modified my EOS by swapping out the LED with a more modern Seoul P4 LED. This made it twice as bright for the same power and the beam also became more flood. It's like a wall of light now and probably way overkill but way cool to use.

For night hikes I also carry an LED flashlight for backup and to illuminate something in the distance. Some headlamps have a red filter or a red LED. This is to help preserve your night vision.
Augie

Post by Augie »

I second Hiking Jim's choice of the Tikka XP. It's as light as you want yet gives you plenty of light with nice options of diffuse or focused beam.
Taco

Post by Taco »

AW wrote:Petzl Tikka = yuck....no power(cant see squat), no distance, what else? Why not just use a flashlight?
Guess it helps that I have 20/10 vision. Works great for me, having used it in all sortsa weather conditions. I'm easy to please.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote:Why not just use a flashlight?
If it is just for emergency use, then a flashlight seems like it would be fine. Certainly would be cheaper than a lot of the headlights on the market. On the other hand, weight, battery life and hands free capabilities make the headlight an attractive option...especially if you would use it for more than just emergency purposes.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I don't even carry a flashlight anymore. I bought a really tiny 2nd head lamp as a back up.

Once you go hands free, you won't go back. I used to grip my flashlight in my teeth if I had to get something out of my pack or whatever. Now, I just use the headlamp, and it is so much more convenient.

Headlamps are also really great if your car breaks down. One time my throttle cables worked free. I opened up the hood and popped the guide back into slot, but it took two hands to worry it down into the slot while holding the cables in the right position. If I had to do that with a flashlight, it wouldn't have been pretty.

Also, if you backpack or camp, it's great. Cooking, setting up camp, fetching water -- pretty much everything you do -- is a heck of a lot easier with a headlamp. Just taking a stroll in the woods before bed is made easier. Your hands are free and move as God and nature intended them.

Also, a couple of times when I've been running late and I'm out after dark, the headlamp has been really handy when scrambling over downed trees. I can't imagine doing any kind of scrambling with a flash light in my hands.
He219

Post by He219 »

AW wrote:Petzl Tikka = yuck....no power(cant see squat), no distance, what else? Why not just use a flashlight?
Why; so you can use two hands for tools, piolet, poles, climbing, checking maps, cooking etc.
It gets tough with a flashlight clenched in your teeth after a while.
:wink:

Nothing wrong with the Tikka XP, heck even the military uses the Tactikka XP.
There is a reason it's the Backpackers Magazine Editor's Choice of 2006.
My batteries have lasted all season from 15F up and they're still going ..
Try lifting the diffuser if you can't see squat.

My backup is a Black Diamond Spot LED and Princeton Tec Aurora LED.
They're a lot lighter than my Russian NVGs
8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I had my Tikka XP in -17C wx when I was in Canada in January, and my batteries are still going strong. The LED thing is the way to go for most applications. You can still just get an LED flashlight, but there are so many things that you really need two hands for. The simplest things like tearing open a bag of chips are so much easier with two hands.

Try it out for yourself: Some time in the coming week, go out and do a brief night hike. While you're out on the trail in the dark, try the below tests. I've got an old headlamp I can loan you, and I'm in Pasadena M - F in the old town area.

Test #1: Simple Camp Chores. Bring fixin's for your supper and your stove if you've got one. Prepare a portion of dinner with a flashlight and then the remainder with a headlamp.

Test #2: Rough terrain after dark. Find an obstacle to overcome, something where you need to scramble up, over, and through things (steep embankment, rockslide, sizeable downed tree, heavy brush, etc.). Try it with the flashlight first, and then try it with a headlamp.

Test #3: Equipment Repair. Pretend your boot sole has separated from your boot (a common equipment failure). Using the flashlight, "repair" your left boot with duct tape. Make sure it's good and snug, just as you would if your sole had really separated. Now try it again with your right boot but this time with a headlamp.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Let us know how it goes. :D
pilot

Post by pilot »

About the only drawback to a headlamp is that you look like a dork, unless you happen to be a caver or a miner. The first time I saw them on a regular person was on the Amazing Race. The other contestants also thought they were dorks. But sure enough, the dorks were the ones able to read maps at night in the car and get to their pitstops first.

Seriously, once you've use a headlamp you'll love it. Flashlights are still handy for certain things but for hiking and camping, headlamps are the way to go. It just makes sense to have your hands free. There is one other drawback and that's a headlamp will blind the person you're looking at, so remember to not point your head right at them or flip the headlamp straight down when you're talking to them.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

pilot wrote:About the only drawback to a headlamp is that you look like a dork
Way, way, way too late to start worrying about that.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Jim,

For test#1&3, all I have to do is set my xenon flashlight on the ground. They actually make them now all the way to 1200 lumens which means those could set yards away.

Test#2, terrrain scrambling,I have done a couple of times. My first hard test w/ the Xenon was returning down Yosemite Falls trail in the dark during late May 2005. It wasnt enough to make me comfortable, but played an important safety component. The 125 lumens chinese beam was able to highlight the terrain as much as about 25ft and give me enough info on the waterfall's rain pattern on the rock trail(and it wasnt just drizzling either).

On an easier terrain, I wore the Tikka. Weather was nice and clear. I think I fell at least 3 times on uneven terrain. I could see the rock not able to support my balance, but couldnt see anything beyond that. At a rapid pace, good luck. When it came time to cross a river, I took the Tikka off, it was worthless to me, and just swam across.

The other time I relied on the xenon was in the backcountry of Yellowstone...weather was snow/heavy rain at night. Flashlight was very effective. I also used it to heat things back to normal(like socks I had that froze solid). Part of my night gear is glow tape that I use to identify stuff quicker, and the xenon flashlight works ultraquick in activating it.

Nowadays, I could either tape the flashlight to a helmet or to my shirt even. The drawback is the battery life(is a serious subject I understand,believe me, carry a LED keylight as well) & a lot of them are not waterproof. On the other hand they even have ultraviolet filters for them now :roll:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

BTW as far as critters....

gulp :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote: For test#1&3, all I have to do is set my xenon flashlight on the ground. They actually make them now all the way to 1200 lumens which means those could set yards away.
Nice light! Still, having a light that points where your eyes do is a real advantage.
AW wrote: Test#2, terrrain scrambling,I have done a couple of times. My first hard test w/ the Xenon was returning down Yosemite Falls trail in the dark during late May 2005. It wasnt enough to make me comfortable, but played an important safety component. The 125 lumens chinese beam was able to highlight the terrain as much as about 25ft and give me enough info on the waterfall's rain pattern on the rock trail(and it wasnt just drizzling either).
It did it's job, which is way cool. Still, I wonder what it would have been like in terrain where you needed both hands simultaneously.
AW wrote: On an easier terrain, I wore the Tikka. Weather was nice and clear. I think I fell at least 3 times on uneven terrain. I could see the rock not able to support my balance, but couldnt see anything beyond that. At a rapid pace, good luck. When it came time to cross a river, I took the Tikka off, it was worthless to me, and just swam across.
I'm right there with you. The first generation Tikkas were really bad on giving light sufficient to really see the rocks and bumps on a trail. I've thrown my old Tikka in my glovebox in my car. It's suitable for working on the engine or tires if something goes wrong, but I wouldn't recommend it for night hiking. The much newer Tikka XP is so vastly improved over the first generation Tikka, that I think Petzl should have given it a new name. To call it a "Tikka" is to do the XP a disservice.
AW wrote: The other time I relied on the xenon was in the backcountry of Yellowstone...weather was snow/heavy rain at night. Flashlight was very effective. I also used it to heat things back to normal(like socks I had that froze solid). Part of my night gear is glow tape that I use to identify stuff quicker, and the xenon flashlight works ultraquick in activating it.
LED's definitely won't produce heat, but they work really well with that reflective stuff built into my packs and stuff. That heat by the way comes at a price: inefficiencies in the circuitry and the nature of incandescent light cause much of the power to be turned into heat rather than light, resulting in shorter battery life.
AW wrote: Nowadays, I could either tape the flashlight to a helmet or to my shirt even.
Yeah, I guess, but let's say it's cold, wet, and windy. Are you really going to tape your primary light to your wet helmet? I'd be pretty paranoid about having the thing hit the ground and leave me hiking with a mini LED squeeze light. Also, if it's cold, wet, and windy, are you really going to have the dexterity you need to tape the light properly and all? I dunno, but I like the idea of having a quick, easy on and off that's really stable and secure.

AW wrote: The drawback is the battery life(is a serious subject I understand,believe me, carry a LED keylight as well) & a lot of them are not waterproof. On the other hand they even have ultraviolet filters for them now :roll:
Battery life is huge. Particularly when I'm on a multi-day trip, I want a light I can count on. My old halogen flashlight was brighter than my LED headlamp, but I couldn't night hike with it due to battery constraints. I always had to carry a extra set -- or two -- of batteries and even then use the light somewhat sparingly.

Just based on my experience, you never know when you might be caught out. Last April, I did a loop in the SGW from Forsee Cr TH to Johns Meadow to SB and E SB Pks, camping at Trail Fork Spgs. I got a late start, and I ran into unexpectedly deep snow up on the divide, which delayed me significantly. I didn't make camp by dark, and I lost the trail in the snow in the dark. I did an XC route based on my map and a compass bearing. Thank God that I a) had a light that left my hands free for parting trees and for steadying myself as I went over obstacles and b) had a light that I could use for an extended period with out battery life being a concern. I got into camp around 11:00 or so and had to set up and cook all in the dark.

By the way, I still haven't changed the batteries, and the light is still strong. LED's are unbelievable in terms how long a battery will last. It's like night and day, if you'll pardon the pun.

Sheesh, I'm sounding like I'm in the lighting business. Long week; I'm loosing my sense of perpective. :D Anyway, flashlight, headlamp, or candle in the night, may all your outings be good ones.
Taco

Post by Taco »

My Tikka is a standard with 3 LED's. It works great. Goes on my helmet and all that jazz, or on my head if I don't need a helmet, yo.

That is all I have to say.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

What a great invention...LEDs and headlamps. I got into caving when they still used carbide headlamps (what a mess!) and then Justrite 4-Ds in a battery pack you wore on your waist with the awful wire. Then all kinds of Petzl and Princeton and Pelican and REIs and...

For the price I think the $15 EverReady LED headlamps are a good deal, and I have a Tikka standard I carried as backup (I'm on a search and rescue team). Neither one is very bright for any kind of distance so I recently bought a Garrity 1Watt LED that has 3 power settings plus 3 low power diffuse LEDs that can be set using 1, 2, or 3 at once. Then it also has 2 red LEDs that you can use for night vision (if you ever go to an astronomy event that's what is required) and it has an emergency blinking setting.

Because of its 1watt LED it uses 3 AA (yes, double A batteries) in a pack that is attached to the back of the headband (similar to old Petzl headlamps). I love this headlamp! Has all the power you could want and a lot of variations to meet different situations, and is bright enough for SAR work. And with 3 AA it really does last forever! Almost :lol:

I also sometimes carry a single AA LED flashlight (from Walmart, $5 I forget the brand) that I use for misc things. If I don't have it with me I sometimes carry my headlamp in my hand when I hike. Why? Having the light near your eyes gives you no depth vision (all shadows are gone). Thsi is something you should try: wear your head lamp on your head and look at the trail before you. See any footprints? I doubt it. Now take it off your head and hold it at or below waist level. You should now easily see many tracks. The same works for rocks, tree roots, and other thinks on the trail because you can see the shadows the light makes when not it's not next to your eyes. One of the reasons for driving lights mounted lower on the car or 4x4 lights mounted on the roll bar. Once on a search while tracking a lost kid I put my headlamp on my pack's waist belt and it made travel and tracking far easier than on my head.

I must admit that if I'm not in the trees, I usually try going with no light, especially if I'm on snow/ice. Moon and star light are great if you have good night vision.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

REI is currently having a sale on Petzl Tikka XP at $34.95 instead of the regular $49.95 (30% off - better than the member discount sale currently going on).

disclaimer: this message will self destruct at an undetermined point in the future
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:REI is currently having a sale on Petzl Tikka XP at $34.95 instead of the regular $49.95 (30% off - better than the member discount sale currently going on).
Sweet price.
HikeUp wrote:disclaimer: this message will self destruct at an undetermined point in the future
Their site, http://www.rei.com, says "only 4 days left," so I assume that price would end this Sunday.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

pilot wrote:About the only drawback to a headlamp is that you look like a dork.
I'M A DORK. http://www.bdel.com/gear/icon.php
crazyazunboy

Post by crazyazunboy »

I love Black Diamond Gear, actually now that I think of it almost all my canyoneering gear is black diamond....WEIRD.
Taco

Post by Taco »

You evil supporter of China. Or something.