My morning run in the Grand Canyon

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Heres some pics I took on my morning run on tuesday. I ran down the Bright Angel trail, thats 9.5 miles long and 5000ft down. That took me 1hr 59minutes (I walked the first 15 minutes just ta sorta get mentally prepared and also to look around, when running i dont always get to see the views...hafta watch where my feets are going on this trail :) )

Then I rested at the bottom, by the Colorado river for bout 20 mins, then ran back up the first 4 miles to Indian gardens, then just chilled n mostly walked the rest of the way. Wasnt real tired, just wanted to take it easy cause I havent done 20+ miles since august.(I walk home when done, so that adds 2 miles to make it 21 total) So my time up the 5000ft and 9.5 miles was 3hr 27minutes. I think next time (next week) im really gonna go for time...we'll see, but if the weather stays this great why not, right? :D Need ta get lotsa long runs in b4 snows come here, and my lil 6 mile after-work runs are getting a lil dull...anywho...heres some more pics of my backyard...

I love this one...reminds me of home in the desert...

No other people in site! just how I like it! :)

the bottom. this is where i fill up on water from the lil creek

my lil Ferrari pack

Bright Angel wall, theres climbing routes here! 8)

and back on top, now to walk home...
(Oh and that green area way below in this pic, is where Indian Gardens is, where my lil waterfall pics were taken)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Oh (yawn), just my morning run. :wink:

Pretty nice.

HJ
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

That Angel Bright wall looks epic. I bet the climbs are amazing. And it might not see as many climbers because it is such a walk for most.

Nice pictures. The landscape is amazing.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice pix and good pace!
turtle

Post by turtle »

Very nice!

On my morning trail run this morning I could see... ummm... Burbank Airport? :cry:

Admit it, though, weren't you at least a little bit tempted to keep on going over to the North Rim? :wink:
everyday

Post by everyday »

@Moppychris--actually, that wall is close to the trailhead. maybe a 5-10 minute walk to get there

@ turtle, yeah, I plan on running over to the other side and back when I have more then just one day off work, I dont wanna have to go back to work the very next day, having one to rest and eat would be nice. I only had one day off this week, so I just went to the river n back. :D
everyday

Post by everyday »

I'm gonna run the same trail again tomorrow, wont take any pics and goof off so much though. Im gonna try and be serious (which im not always good at! Ha!) and try for a good time. Im aiming for 90-100minutes down, and under 3hrs for the up :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice! Be safe.

HJ
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

find any snakes to eat?
everyday

Post by everyday »

No, only pineapple n cookies :(
everyday

Post by everyday »

hello, im back from this weeks morning run :) . I got down in 114minutes (1hr 54) sooo, still 14 off of my goal, but still faster than last week by 8minutes. (same trail/same distance as posted above in my first post..)..it had rained all last night so the trail was wet, a lil slick, and I got stuck behind mules for a few til they pulled over for me to pass...anywho, im happy with my pace. The way up took 3hr 21 min. only 6min faster...I ended up stopping to take pics cause the sky was cool..cloudy. anyways, it was fun, and i feel great, my enduance gets better every time and not drinking alcohol n smoking anymore really helps too! ha. its been 2 months now :)

hey, heres some pics of a canyon n some clouds ...lots of the big wall :)

Coloradoriver n clouds

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool photos. Congrats on increasing endurance and decreasing time.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

Thanx! Im really having fun with this! -maybe/hopefully next year when ryan comes out, I will have pics of us climbing that big wall :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: I will have pics of us climbing that big wall :D
:shock:

Better you than me. :wink:

HJ