Desert rehab hike

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
everyday

Post by everyday »

So, this morning (4/19/11) 13 days after surgery, I finally got to go out for a lil bit. I took a friend with me in case i needed help, also, she yells at me if I try to run, ha.
My surgeon said he didn't want me hiking until June, but fuk that. I was mentally freaking out, and I couldn't stand to be inside any longer just doing weights. Anyway, I only went 7miles and only had a 1500ft elevation gain, and didn't run, or climb or go cross country, so I don't get what the big deal woulda been. :roll: -I did get a little dizzy about 3 miles out after one big hill, but after sitting down for only 2 or 3 minutes I was fine.

anyways, here some pics...Oh, this is a loop, In the Santa Rosa mtns, art smith trail, to hop along trail, to schey trail, which crosses art smith again n takes you back if you go left. I didnt take any pics of me, because I look pretty funny since i still have the cast type thing attached to my upper jaw, and my face is still swollen a little. :( anyway, i feel MUCH better after getting out 8)

Highway 74 out there, thats where I started at

This is where I suddenly needed to sit down for a minute,,figured Id take a pic as long as I was there, ha

Cool rocky part of the Schey trail...I wonder if falling in an area like this is what my Dr was worried about, haha

The Hop along trail is that faint zig-zag trail out there

Taco

Post by Taco »

That's a cool looking trail, the Hop Along one. Kinda lame name but hey. ;-)

Your cast is just the first step towards your new bionic exoskeleton, designed purely for war.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Lol. And all the Titanium stays in permanently. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I think you look fine with the jaw thing.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

LOL. thats just silly
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

NM
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: Image

I like these two photos. Is there running water there?

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

Not that ive ever seen. theres another one about 3 miles farther down that does have water sometimes though.

:) and thanx
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Pretty cool. I have to get out there more often. I've been out to about 3 palm canyons on the res. but that's it.

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Very nice looking area. Good to see you're ignoring doctor's orders as well. :)

That picture of the Ocotillo: what's going on with the yellow along the stalks? I thought Ocotillo leaves were all green with no flowering?
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Very cool TR. Get well soon and heal gracefully :-)
everyday

Post by everyday »

obie wrote: That picture of the Ocotillo: what's going on with the yellow along the stalks? I thought Ocotillo leaves were all green with no flowering?
I have no idea, I'm not a botanist :)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Great trip report!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Burchey wrote: Number one rule of Jaw Cast: You can't talk about Jaw Cast (and not post a picture)
Uh, you're on thin ice there, pal.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

Fine , here...I dont mind posting pics of just the cast 'n permanant plates, I just dont wanna post pics of my FACE all puffy and bruised, ! theres a difference..... heres the dang pics...jeez :roll:

(btw-the "cast" is simply the small plastic thing attached to my top teeth. the titanium you cant see at all its whats holdin my bones together)

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... %204-6-11/
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Wow, that must have killed! You poor thing. I thought my braces were suffering, now I feel like a wimp.
everyday

Post by everyday »

yeah, it definately wasnt the most fun thing ive ever done! ha the first 4 days were the worst.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: the titanium you cant see at all its whats holdin my bones together
You'll never get through an airport scanner again. :wink:

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

Yeah I will.. Ryan says titanium doesnt trigger the metal detector 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yes, in all seriousness you shouldn't have a problem with airport metal detectors. I've got a Ti rod in my right leg from my knee to my hip and second Ti rod from the first rod up into my hip. Neither triggers the detectors.

HJ
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

the picture popped up...I screamed
everyday

Post by everyday »

LOL, ya, theyre pretty gross. but you asked. ha :D
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Ok after that site were ready for good laugh, picture of your face now... :D

btw: thanks for rinseing your mouth after lunch before those pictures were taken :oops:

mark
everyday

Post by everyday »

I dont have any new pics, but now I'm 28 days past my surgery and am finally starting to get better. I could only hike 2 days last week because my body is still spending most of my energy healing all the bones and severely bruised nerves n everything else they cut up...anyway. This past monday, the 2nd, I went hiking and got in 6.5 miles in 1hr 50min. which I wasn't happy with, but at least I wasn't getting dizzy like my first rehab hike. And I was able to slowly jog a tiny bit.
Then, yesterday, I did 9.8 miles in the San Jacinto area (Murray peak). The first 3 miles have a 2200ft elevation gain, the rest of the loop was mostly flat desert with some little hills, a dry wash to get through, and then back. I walked most of it, but was able to jog a little more than the previous day, but still cant full out run yet. I finished it in 2hr 35min. So, I am recovering pretty well now. It's not a great time at all, but I'm happy i was able to do almost 10miles without being totally beat. My endurance is coming back well. My speed however, will obviously take longer to get back.
Most likely because I had to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks, dropped 14lbs, and lost muscle tone....n everything else major surgery does to your system.
anyway...thats my recovery update if anyone cares, haha....Oh, also, on the days i was too tired to hike, I did get in some weights and core work. So thats wat kept me from going crazy when i couldnt get outside.
Next week, i think monday, Im going to hike up mount baldy. I'll take pics and letcha know if I made it or if i passed out, lol
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

glad your coming along and getting out... I had no idea what went into that surgery, more shock to the body than I thought...

have fun on baldy if you make it over this way...

mark
everyday

Post by everyday »

Yeah, I didnt know either! It takes at LEAST 4 to 6 months for even a really health person to fully heal from this surgery. They totaly had my face in 4 pieces, then put it back together. Its pretty intense.

And I'll make it! Ive been planning on it for a couple weeks. Ima be there 2 or 3 days 8)
everyday

Post by everyday »

Did the same loop over and around Murray peak, as listed a couple posts up, yesterday, and knocked off 9 minutes. So 9.8 in 2hr 26min. So im back to 4mph now,. However, its still hard on me. Normally, after doing that Id be totally fine the rest of the day and would be ready to go out and do the same or more the next day...But now, Im pretty beat. even though i slept well (8hrs) last night, I feel like I need a nap, and i get light headed today whenever I stand up. So ima just sit in bed and read. My recovery time sux. again,

Has anyone on here had to deal with this kinda thing? Is it normal to still need a long recovery time from a hike so long after surgery? I did take the whole first 12 days off, then eased back in by only going 2 days a week. Maybe im outa shape from sitting around too much??? Have any of you guys taken a few weeks off befor, and if so, how long did it take you to get back to normal???
obie

Post by obie »

Recovery for me is pretty slow at times (like weeks at a time) then I notice I can do something smoothly that was a struggle for months. Doctors told me it's one year for 'full recovery' on my leg so I'm not too down anymore. I can see the big improvements in mobility, flexibility and strength now that I have 8 months to look back at and see how far I've come.

It's a good thing you're in shape and keep working out. I'm always hearing that w/o some good conditioning and a willingness to train while down with a major injury that recovery can spread into years for some people. Damn, the thought of that gets me up and moving everyday.

Keep at it.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Oh cool, thanx! I was worried there was something wrong with me. Im glad to hear it can be a long time for other people too. hope youre better soon too :D