Ride today?

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
obie

Post by obie »

Got hit by a car (again) on Saturday. Walked away, 29'er OK, and the fool that hit me gave me $100. for "my troubles." My rear wheel actually broke a couple of her front light lenses. FATBIKES!!!!

I swear I'm gonna ride dirt all the time now, the roads in OC are hell these days. This happened 1/4 mile from where Armin Britel got taken out on San Joaquin.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Woah, no injuries?!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dang. Not good.

Like do we need to buy all drivers glasses?

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Obie,

Glad you are OK, I've been hit three times in my life, they all sucked.
obie

Post by obie »

No injuries now. Thought my ankle was jammed up the next morning since I ride with clip-ins on the 29'er. It loosened up later that day.

I was kind of stunned thinking how bad that would've been if I was on the roadie. I think a 700c wheel would've taco'ed and I would then be down on the floor getting rolled by the car. Nasty thought that is.

I think about an article a few months ago in 'Outside' in which a researcher said that vehicle drivers may actually "not see" a cyclist simply because they not conditioned/used to watching out for them while driving. Kind of maddening from my point of view as a cyclist but, how else do you explain this? The gal that smacked me in Redlands also said she "didn't see me". I guess it's true.

More dirt. Less hassle.

Enough serious dreck:

Dig this GMR/Monroe Truck Trail ride with a Go-Pro:

(Kudos to "Dynamicz" at STR for the video work)

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/r ... ideos.html
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I love Monroe Truck Trail. I haul ass on that thing. Favorite trail so far. Glad to hear you're arright. I know what you mean about people not being conditioned to see cyclists. That's no bueno.
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: I love Monroe Truck Trail. I haul ass on that thing. Favorite trail so far. Glad to hear you're arright. I know what you mean about people not being conditioned to see cyclists. That's no bueno.
Thanks you guys. I ain't done yet! :)

Taco - I'm gonna hit Monroe up when I get further along. Last week I rode Bommer Ridge ( my favorite ride around here) and down Boat Canyon for the first 'fast' ride in a long time. Feels ok but I'm not ready go haulbutt down Monroe yet.

I think GMR/Monroe would be a good training loop - no shuttles.

Just sayin' :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

obie wrote:
Taco wrote: I love Monroe Truck Trail. I haul ass on that thing. Favorite trail so far. Glad to hear you're arright. I know what you mean about people not being conditioned to see cyclists. That's no bueno.
Thanks you guys. I ain't done yet! :)

Taco - I'm gonna hit Monroe up when I get further along. Last week I rode Bommer Ridge ( my favorite ride around here) and down Boat Canyon for the first 'fast' ride in a long time. Feels ok but I'm not ready go haulbutt down Monroe yet.

I think GMR/Monroe would be a good training loop - no shuttles.

Just sayin' :)
Lemme know if you wanna meet up and go with us one of these days.
everyday

Post by everyday »

"conditioned to see bicyclists" WTF does that even mean? IMO, they are just dumb-ass drivers who dont pay attention to the world around them. it seems that a lot of people who dont take driving seriously never see shit til its way to late :(
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote: Lemme know if you wanna meet up and go with us one of these days.
Yea, Taco that would be cool. How technical is that near the bottom 1/3 when it goes singletrack?
obie

Post by obie »

everyday wrote: "conditioned to see bicyclists" WTF does that even mean? IMO, they are just dumb-ass drivers who dont pay attention to the world around them. it seems that a lot of people who dont take driving seriously never see shit til its way to late :(
Yea, problem too is that I'm just wearing basically underwear and a helmet and they got a whole lot more wrapped around them if they screw it up for both of us. :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

obie wrote:
Yea, Taco that would be cool. How technical is that near the bottom 1/3 when it goes singletrack?
Actually only about the last 1/4 on the top is NOT singletrack, the rest is all narrow trail currently with tall vegetation up on either side.

I made a little page for it: http://www.mbpost.com/trail/280413/Lowe ... Trail.html
obie

Post by obie »

Taco wrote:
obie wrote:
Actually only about the last 1/4 on the top is NOT singletrack, the rest is all narrow trail currently with tall vegetation up on either side.

I made a little page for it: http://www.mbpost.com/trail/280413/Lowe ... Trail.html
Good stuff. I'll be ready in two weeks. Did another ride down Bommer to Slow 'n Easy ( some gnarly rutted sections near the bottom this year) and then back up Pacific Ridge. Sheit, I dig Moro and I wish I weren't thinking about the bionic leg but, that's gonna be the deal up there. Anything over 15% on a descent, on sandstone and ball bearings like you get at Moro is gonna be some sweating for me. Hell, it was always a sweat for me.

What's the road to the Notch like now? Wet? Scraped yet? That's my favorite ride there - Village to top of Lift #4 (8600').

GF in town friday - we're gonna do Mulholland fire road and Malibu Creek to Bulldog and on and around there. Should be good fun.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sweet dude, looking forward to it. I'll respond more when I've had fewer beers. Party time! 8)