How are we doing on the n00b front?

Comments & questions about this site.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I left a shitload of stickers in the Baldy register during the snow clinic day. Have we got any fresh meat out of that?

Been away for a week at a trade show.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yep. Got a steady flow of more folks. Now if only all of them would fill out their profiles...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote: Been away for a week at a trade show.
Shot show. Oooh. Aaah. Any cool stuff? Photos?

HJ
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
simonov wrote: Been away for a week at a trade show.
Shot show. Oooh. Aaah. Any cool stuff? Photos?
No, I was working the whole time. All I saw of the show were the booths between mine and the crappers.

It is ever so.
Nunc est bibendum
droolmonkey

Post by droolmonkey »

i am a noob. ...ive been going on extended (2-3 weeks) backpacking trips since i was 16, so that make 12 years this summer, and get out every other month or so when there isnt snow on the ground and would love to change that, i just dont know how to yet. i assume this would be a good place to start.

anyway, i stumbled upon this forum looking for winter backpacking information and how to get started in it and what other considerations i could find in addition to warmer clothes and 4 season gear. apparently this is a new world. i am eager to learn, so thank you for this website and i look forward to learning and maybe one day meeting people from here!

does anyone have some recommendations as to how to get started without taking a $2000 course? ...im about to just go for a solo overnight in the snow and see if i can survive a 2-4 mile jaunt.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Easy place for a winter overnight experience would be up on Mt. San Jacinto via the Palm Sprins Tram. Its pretty easy to get from the Tram to Round Valley/Tamarak Valley for the night, and you could also hoof up to the San J summit or Wellmans Divide (both great viewpoints). The Tram costs about $22 for a round trip, but that's cheaper than a guided trip, AND you don't have to drive in the snow!
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

simonov wrote: I left a shitload of stickers in the Baldy register during the snow clinic day. Have we got any fresh meat out of that?

Been away for a week at a trade show.
Would love to get one of those stickers soon. I hope to get my cast off in about 3 weeks and change, and mother nature willing there's still some winter weather left to enjoy up in the mountains.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Gah! I didn't get a sticker! Anyway to get one or anyone got a collection in a register somewhere?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

droolmonkey wrote: does anyone have some recommendations as to how to get started without taking a $2000 course? ...im about to just go for a solo overnight in the snow and see if i can survive a 2-4 mile jaunt.
The Sierra Club has a Wilderness Travel Course (WTC) every January. It's a lot less than commercial courses. One of the highlights is a snowshoe backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierra. I took the course in 2007, and I highly recommend the course.

Unfortunately, the course has already started for this year at three out of it's four locations where it is taught. The Long Beach/South Bay location starts their class this week. For other locations, you might be able to make up the first class or two if you really wanted to do it. I know that they allow such a thing. No ice axe/crampons training or training with ropes, but it covers all season hiking and backpacking from A to Z. Better get on it ASAP if you want in for this year.

The textbook they use, Freedom of the Hills, 8th edition, is excellent. The textbook is worth picking up on it's own. It's a compendium of knowledge and has several excellent sections on snow, snow travel, and snow camping. Earlier editions are probably available from the library.

In terms of winter camping itself, it's not that much different from three season camping. Depending on the conditions of the weekend (or whenever) you go, you might want a "four season" tent which you can rent from A16. In S. Calif. you can get away with a three season tent much of the time. You can use snow stakes or make "deadmen" using sticks or stuff sacks filled with snow to anchor your tent. You use (at least I do) two sleeping pads instead of one. I use a Ridgerest underneath my Thermarest. There are pads available that have a high enough R value where you can sleep on snow using only one pad. I just don't camp on snow often enough to make it worth my while to buy such a pad and therefore I just put an extra pad under my normal pad. You'll need a sleeping bag rated for the conditions. A16 rents winter bags.

You of course need to layer your clothing appropriately. Avoid cotton (aka "death cloth").

You need to be able to melt snow. Gas stoves often conk out in cold weather, so either get a gas stove that can handle an inverted canister (e.g. MSR Rapidfire or MSR Windpro), a winter specific gas stove (e.g. Coleman Xtreme or Coleman Xpert), or use a liquid fueled (white gasoline typically) stove for snow melting (e.g. MSR Whisperlite or MSR Simmerlite). It's usually best to start with a little liquid water in your pot before you start melting snow.

Anyway, I won't try to write an entire book here, but suffice it to say that it's not that big of a leap to camp in the fourth season, but it is a lot of fun, particularly since you'll often have the place to yourself.

HJ
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
droolmonkey wrote: does anyone have some recommendations as to how to get started without taking a $2000 course? ...im about to just go for a solo overnight in the snow and see if i can survive a 2-4 mile jaunt.
The Sierra Club has a Wilderness Travel Course (WTC) every January. It's a lot less than commercial courses. One of the highlights is a snowshoe backpacking trip in the Eastern Sierra. I took the course in 2007....
HJ
Nice post - a lot of great info for newbies. The double pad thing is pretty important for most, I find a short pad for my head torso works great with my emptied pack under my lower legs and feet.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Whoa, just got back after a few days on Mt Whitney and see many new n00bs. I think those stickers are having an impact.

My last couple times on Baldy, I must have left fifty or more stickers in the register. They keep getting grabbed.
Nunc est bibendum
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

I'm noob-ish. Been lurking for a long time though, and have posted a few times now, but I just got a sticker yesterday from the Ski Hut register 8)

Are there still plans for the forum to be migrated over to the actual eispiraten.com domain? I remember reading about that a while back...
simonov

Post by simonov »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Are there still plans for the forum to be migrated over to the actual eispiraten.com domain? I remember reading about that a while back...
Plans are for the weak.

Still, click this link: http://www.eispiraten.com
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

simonov wrote: Plans are for the weak.
LOL.

Busy weekend for this forum that's for sure. Mo' TRs mo' better.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote: Plans are for the weak.
That's a strong statement. :wink:

HJ