Eastern San Diego County?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
obie

Post by obie »

Hi folks. A friend of mine from NorCal is going to be in San Diego for a few days and we've decided to meet up and do some exploring out east from San Diego. This will be in January.

I've never been to Anza Borrego SP, Borrego Springs et al. What would you suggest?

This looks like a good start in Borrego Springs?
http://www.abdnha.org/

Caveat: I may still be on crutches and/or the boot:( ....so we may have to work with the road system for the majority of the exploring.

We'll bring our sleeping bags and have the pickup truck for a fallback if the camp sites aren't avail. and/or the weather is pouring buckets. We can handle the weather - we're both excited to be heading out there for the first time! Thanks.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

There's a road that leads to the Top of Mount Laguna that you can take on the way out to Anza Borrego called Sunrise Highway, about ten miles north of the actual summit is a pullout on a road called Kwaaymii Point Road. Find that road and go the 1/4 mile down it, you can see all the way across all of Anzo Borrego, Salton Sea, north to San Jacinto's and on clear day San Gorgonio - you literally walk two minutes out of the car and there's a 3,500 foot drop to the desert floor in front of you, the Pacific Crest Trail touches the the edge of this parking area, cannot miss it, all the tourists stop here, well worth going slightly out of your way when headed to Anzo :D enjoy