Mount Whitney via the Main Trail 5.15.10

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
norma r

Post by norma r »

I had not done a snow camp of Mount Whitney via the Main Trail so when Jim (Calicokat) invited me to join him and two of his friends, it was easy to say "Yes!" :D

On Friday 5/14/10 we had a nice relaxed hike from the Portal to Trail Camp via the Main Trail to Outpost Camp where we filled up and treated water. Bighorn Park, Outpost Camp and Wotan's Throne.

From Outpost Camp we took the winter snow traverse below Candlelight Peak, passing Consultation Lake to Trail Camp. I love the direct routes you are afforded in snow. It was a pleasant traverse and saved time.

We arrived at camp about 2pm which gave us plenty of time to dig a platform for our tent, melt snow for water and enjoy a gourmet dinner before the sun set over the Whitney Crest. Fresh steak, asparagus & rice.

Friday had been partially cloudy, but Saturday 5/15/10, we woke up to a bluebird day and enjoyed a great climb of the chute next to the swithbacks to Trail Crest. From Trail Crest we followed a nice boot track on the traverse of the backside.

Some sections were more exposed than others.

I arrived at the summit at 12:30 to perfect weather, still wearing just a long sleeved top.

We returned safely to Trail Camp and were treated to a beautiful evening and sunset over Mount Muir.

Sunday we followed the boot track back on the traverse to Outpost Camp and regained the Main Trail. On the traverse.

My companions during this great weekend: Jim, Mark and Paul. Thanks guys! :D

Rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... ailMay2010#
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice report Norma - sounds like you are going back again this weekend, correct? Conditions look assume - thanks for sharing that.

If you looked South East from the summit you could see Greg and I coming off the top of Telescope - little hazy so you would have to have looked real close :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

Hi Patrick!
The plan is to head back to the Sierra with Split Mtn in mind. The weather will dictate if it is a Go.

You know, i DID look at Telescope and pointed it out to both Paul and Andy who were not familiar with the peaks in the distance. I'm sure you had a great time! Did i miss your TR? i better go back and look for it. :roll:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote:Some sections were more exposed than others.
Yeah, maybe just a little. :shock: :shock: :shock:
norma r wrote:I arrived at the summit at 12:30 to perfect weather, still wearing just a long sleeved top.
Freakin' awesome!!

HJ
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Looks like a fun trip. I like the way you eat!
mve

Post by mve »

Norma:
more exposed than others
:shock:

Very cool TR -- thank you for sharing great story and these awesome pictures.

PS: did you get new boots? How did they work? I am still searching for a good pair of boots for my GF. She's tried LA Sportiva NEPAL, TRANGO S EVO and now KARAKORUM. Nepals really dug into her hills, TRANGO's leaked badly, and KARAKORUM are also chewing her hills on steep terrain. I am thinking of going back to Lowa for her.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a wonderful trip.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Nice pics Norma, that snow looked really good to hike on did it soften up in the day at all?

Phil
Lcpl Hughes

Post by Lcpl Hughes »

Too Awesome!

Got some grub going on to :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

Thanks all! the weather was the antithesis of when i did the MR eary April. it was spectacular to climb in it and enjoy the summit for nearly an hour.

Vitaly (i know i spelt your name wrong, there's another vowel in there i believe),

i still have the Trango's for day snow hiking, but i bought double plastic boots, Scarpa Inverno. i refuse to have cold feet on multi-day snow camps and these were the most affordable. they're heavy, but i figure the extra weight will build up my legs muscles. :roll: i really wanted La Sportiva Spantik's but i could not justify spending $700.00, yet! i felt all the glorified Trango's had the risk of getting wet and freezing overnight. Dave G keeps his boots warm by melting snow and filling two nalgene's with hot water and putting them in his boots at night. i want to sleep with my hot nalgene's as i sleep cold, so that wasn't an option for me. i put my inner boots in my sleeping bag at night and my feet are happy in the morning. Good luck!

Phil B, the snow was awesome! it was in the 20's to 30's during the day, so it was pefect for cramponing. climbing uphill you did not slide backwards. plunge stepping down your footholds held. it was soft enough for a comfortable glissade, but not too soft for postholes. we all had a couple postholes but usually near rocks as expected or on the low slopes as we descended on Sunday. i did do one "header" on a steep slope near LP Lake and slid a ways with my full pack on which scared the crap out of me.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I'm really going to have to do more Sierra climbing next snow season.
Nunc est bibendum
James

Post by James »

Great TR Norma, congrats!!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Nice pix and TR Norma. With all the hiking/climbing you're doing I doubt you have any worries about leg strengthening (i.e., boots)