How to upload data from GPS to PC

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and have no idea how to upload the track data from the GPS unit to my PC. The manual says nothing. Garmin's website is useless (search broken, nice). Got the serial cable (OMG! Serial? In 2007?) connected and everything, but no obvious way to suck the data out of the unit.

Any pointers?
Nunc est bibendum
Rob

Post by Rob »

simonov, do you have Garmin MapSource software installed on your PC?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Rob wrote:simonov, do you have Garmin MapSource software installed on your PC?
No I don't. I don't really need the maps for the moment.

I gather some kind of utility program is needed?
Nunc est bibendum
Rob

Post by Rob »

simonov, earlier this year I purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista CX (the same model that you have?) and included in the box was an installation CD for the Garmin program "MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager." I use MapSource as the utility to transfer data between the GPS and my PC. As I recall, it was no easy task getting the software to talk to the GPS unit, but once it started working, it worked trouble-free. BTW, my unit came with a Garmin USB cable which seems to have an odd-shaped plug on the small end -- my camera USB cable won't fit into the GPS unit.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I also have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, which I purchased a couple of years ago. It came with a USB cable.

1. I have used the MapSource software to upload GPS data. There are many other options.

2. There are freeware programs like EasyGPS which you can use to upload data in gpx format.

3. You can upload GPS data into Google Earth. As I recall, I paid $20 for the privilege a couple of years ago.

4. Software such as National Geographic's TOPO! handles uploading of data.

5. I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch earlier this year. It comes with software called Training Center that handles data uploading.

There are many other options out there.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Thanks guys. Things are becoming more clear.
AlanK wrote:I also have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, which I purchased a couple of years ago. It came with a USB cable.
What I have is the plain old black ad white eTrex Vista, which comes with a serial cable, not a USB. I thought this was ridiculous at first (see my snark in the first post in this thread), but I later realized (while hiking Icehouse Canyon) that these GPS units are designed to talk to devices other than Windows PCs, so I guess a serial connection is a bit more flexible.

The eTrex Vista (non-Cx) doesn't come with a CD-ROM, and the manual doesn't even mention data upload except it tells you how to physically connect the cable to the unit.
2. There are freeware programs like EasyGPS which you can use to upload data in gpx format.
That's what I'm talking about. I knew there must be something.

GPS Visualizer has a utility for converting .GPX to .KML for plotting tracks on Google Earth. That's the primary application I am interested in at the moment.
Nunc est bibendum
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

simonov wrote:What I have is the plain old black ad white eTrex Vista, which comes with a serial cable, not a USB. I thought this was ridiculous at first (see my snark in the first post in this thread), but I later realized (while hiking Icehouse Canyon) that these GPS units are designed to talk to devices other than Windows PCs, so I guess a serial connection is a bit more flexible.
I do not recall when Garmin changed over but my previous GPS was an eTrex Summit and it had a serial port connection. I dropped the GPS down a steep chute on San Gorgonio and is was never seen again. At least one friend claimed that I just wanted an excuse to get a new GPS unit, but I would not litter the Wilderness to accomplish that. :oops:

Of course the problem with the archaic connection is that it is easier and easier to find oneself using a computer with no serial port connector on it.
simonov wrote:GPS Visualizer has a utility for converting .GPX to .KML for plotting tracks on Google Earth. That's the primary application I am interested in at the moment.

I should have mentioned GPS Visualizer. That is one great Web site.
Travis

Post by Travis »

simonov wrote:What I have is the plain old black ad white eTrex Vista, which comes with a serial cable, not a USB. I thought this was ridiculous at first (see my snark in the first post in this thread), but I later realized (while hiking Icehouse Canyon) that these GPS units are designed to talk to devices other than Windows PCs, so I guess a serial connection is a bit more flexible.
I also had one of the old model Vistas and was forced to buy a Serial (Rs232) to USB converter in order to upload to my laptop that did not have a seirial port. I bought mine on e-bay for a few dollars. I sold my Vista (along with converter) when I upgraded to the GPSMap60Csx.

This is similar to what I bought (except mine had a cord between the plugs)
http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html

Other than that, I use MapSource to upload data to and from the GPS to PC. Newer versions of Mapsource allow you to view your uplaoded track directly on Google Earth and then save as kmz file. Makes it easy. The converters take time.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

simonov
Try easygps
http://www.easygps.com/

It's free, has no mapping; but is a very good interface.
You can save the tracks, waypoints and/or routes as .gpx for use in gps visualizer and google earth.