Nate Freund (lost guy) & Personal Locator Beacons (PLB's

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There's an article about Nate Freund who was "lost near Mt. Baldy" (he was actually lost on Bighorn Pk) and Personal Locator Beacons (PLB's):
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stor ... d2c92.html

The first three lines are a little sensationalistic, but overall, it's not bad for a journalist.

Taco

Post by Taco »

Neat. Thanks for posting the article!

(I'd say more, but I shall not, fire discipline! 8) )
Travis

Post by Travis »

I wouldn't mind having the security of a PLB if things got really bad and I absolutely needed it, however the cost at this point is the deterrent. The initial costs have come down a lot, and you can get a unit for $150 or less, but the $100/year subscription gets me. I would like it better if you could subscribe for shorter periods. For example, if I was going on a trek in the Sierra Nevada I would be willing to pay $5 to activate it for duration of the hike. Or better yet, get charged ONLY when activated :) I would be happy to sign a contract saying that I would pay $500 if activated, otherwise no charge. I know the cost is insignificant compared to losing your life, but I can’t justify it yet.

Anybody on the forum have one? The thing about the article is that this guy was able to make cell phone contact, if he knew where he was and was able to communicate this then the PLB would not have helped him and more than his cell call.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I just researched and realized that the annual subscription fee is only for the low cost unit (http://www.rei.com/product/766529). If you buy the expensive unit (http://www.rei.com/product/709917) you don't have this fee but just need to fork out upwards of $500. I also read the reviews on the cheap units and they have some issues.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Travis wrote:The initial costs have come down a lot, and you can get a unit for $150 or less, but the $100/year subscription gets me.
Just a clarification: I think you're thinking of the SPOT. The SPOT device is not a PLB. The SPOT is a specific product; PLB's are a general class of devices that broadcast at 406MHz to COSPAS-SARSAT satellites in low earth orbit and geostationary high earth orbit. Alerts go to the US Air Force which serves as the coordinating body. SPOT uses satellite phone technology to transmit only to geostationary communication satellites in high earth orbit. Alerts are sent to a private company which I believe is part of the same company that sells SPOT. Note: satellite phones are known to sometimes have difficulty in picking up a signal.

I'm not saying SPOT is good or bad; I'm just highlighting the differences between a PLB and SPOT.

A few observations:
A PLB has no subscription fee. SPOT has a $100/yr fee.
A PLB can be purchased for about $450. SPOT costs $150.

Do the math, and I think you'll see that you break even after three years. A PLB actually costs less over a four year period ($450 vs. $550) than a SPOT. All years after the fourth year are essentially free of charge when compared to SPOT. Note: this comparison is based on a lower end model PLB.

Note: The lithium batteries in a PLB are rated at five to eleven years, depending on the model. The batteries are replaceable. I imagine you'd have to replace the SPOT battery too. See also http://www.acrelectronics.com/misc%20in ... ompare.pdf

Also, 406MHz devices have been used for years in marine and aviation environments; they're proven technology. The SPOT on the other hand is new and unproven. I'm not saying SPOT is bad, but we really don't know that it's good either.

All that being said, I'm still holding off on buying a PLB (for now). 406MHz devices have been used for years in other arenas, but use as a PLB on land wasn't legalized until 2003. I think as they become more widely used the price will fall and the quality will go up, just has it has for digital cameras, laptops, cell phones, etc.

One man's opinion.