Cloudburst Canyon

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I am hoping to go on a canyoneering trip within the next 1-2 months descending cloudburst canyon.
http://www.dankat.com/advents/cldbur.htm

There is more difficult canyoneering route in the same vicinity called Supercloud as well, I always get them mixed up.
http://www.dankat.com/advents/sprcld.htm

It has been a while since I have done a canyoneering trip, and this time I am planning for fewer surprises than the last one...

Augie

Post by Augie »

Great addition to the categories!

I'm ready to go Travis. Since our last trip, I bought a 60m 9.2mm canyoneering rope as well as a rope bag so we don't waste time untwisting the rope. The rappels will be smoother with this thicker rope than the last time when we used two 30m x 8mm ropes tied together and one of them was dynamic.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'll give it a shot. I dunno what kinda "rack" I'd need... have several belay devices and a figure 8, etc etc. I imagine that's it. I've got old rope that needs to be retired ASAP, so I can't pitch in there.

If this is the canyon you pointed out on the way up SR2 in the morning, then hell yeah. Looks badass. Beautiful area.

What kinda junk do I need to bring?
Travis

Post by Travis »

TacoDelRio wrote:If this is the canyon you pointed out on the way up SR2 in the morning, then hell yeah. Looks badass. Beautiful area.

What kinda junk do I need to bring?
Yes, this is that canyon I pointed out, but the full extent of the badassness is actually Supercloud Canyon and not Cloudburst Canyon. As for what you need, it would be good to have a backup rope, so you could bring your old rope. Augie has a good rope to use as our primary rope. And other than that a rapell device (ATC or Figure 8 ), carabiner and a harness. Plus a few rapel rings and some webbing incase we need to make up an anchor.

AND A HELMET (Edit).
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've got a good selection of slings/runners, and I forgot that I had a rappell ring. Want to get to using that more, since I can fit it in a personal survival kit real easy. I've got a normal Metolious BRD (Belay-Rappel Device) for normal ropes, a DMM Buggette for smaller ropes, etc.

I'll bring the extra rope.

Supercloud.... sounds even better! :twisted:

Helmet overkill?
Travis

Post by Travis »

Augie wrote:Great addition to the categories!
I'm ready to go Travis. Since our last trip, I bought a 60m 9.2mm canyoneering rope as well as a rope bag so we don't waste time untwisting the rope. The rappels will be smoother with this thicker rope than the last time when we used two 30m x 8mm ropes tied together and one of them was dynamic.
What canyon were you thinking, supercloud or cloudburst? I am also ready to go. Maybe Oct. 27 or 28th? Or I am open any weekend in November. It looks like Supercloud will not be any more dificult than Allison Gulch, and it is dry except after rains, so I am leaning towards Supercloud...
Travis

Post by Travis »

TacoDelRio wrote: Supercloud.... sounds even better! :twisted:

Helmet overkill?
No, definetly not. I forgot to include this and just added it to my original post. Helmet is needed. And I am leaning towards Supercloud also. Augie has the experience and the 60 M canyoneering rope, so I figure to leave the final decision up to him....

travis
Taco

Post by Taco »

Will do.

Will also bring sake. AND A SWORD. DON'T FORGET A BASEBALL BAT. :wink:
Augie

Post by Augie »

Travis and Ryan,

I've sent you both a PM about this outing. Sounds like fun.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Replied, can't wait! First real canyoneering deal for me.