Part of the way up Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

We hiked from Manker Flats to past the Ski Hut today - turned around at about 8500 feet or so. It was cloudy, cold, and windy - and it was getting colder; so we called it a day - I'll wait for a bit more snow before heading up again. There's lots of ice on the trees but not on the trail until where we turned around. It might be very icy up higher on the mountain though.

Some pics:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/39 ... /227543279
Rob

Post by Rob »

KathyW, ditto on Bear Canyon trail. Executed U-turn at 9200 feet (just above the mini-backbones) when footing became treacherous. Saw 10 other hikers on BC trail: 4 Europeans equipped with crampons and ice axes passed me; 4 others (2 pairs) turned short of summit; remaining 2 (wearing sunglasses and singing) passed me and I did not see them again.

My lesson learned #1: buy crampons. #2: buy warmer gloves. #3. protect Camelbak hose from freezing.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks for the photos, Kathy.

Sucks that it's all rime, no snow yet. :(
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Sounds like you guys had the same experience I did on Vivian Creek today.
http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1196557231.html
Rob

Post by Rob »

Photos from Bear Canyon attempt on Baldy:
http://picasaweb.google.com/freeburns/2 ... rCanyonRob
Rob

Post by Rob »

hvydrt, good TR.
Rob

Post by Rob »

A hiking pair (who passed me on the way down BC Trail) reported that they u-turned (at perhaps 9400'?) when snow depth was 6 inches.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I stopped at Baldy Village Restaurant for an end-of-hike burger. Pleasant, seasonal atmosphere. Good hot fire burning in fireplace, Christmas tree & decorations in place, customers playing Christmas carols on piano, and looking outside I could see the first snowfall at Baldy Village this winter. The only thing missing was my date. (Just remembered -- gotta pick her up at airport in 30 minutes.)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Kathy - great photos of the Ski Hut Trail!

Rob - great photos of the Bear Canyon Trail too!

Fun day in the ice and snow. Thanks for sharing.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic stuff guys! Hvydrt, great pics! Thanks for posting that up. You brought my hopes back up.

Rob, you too with the news of snow at Baldy Village.

I am now re-stoked and ready to go.

Thanks for the motivation, guys!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Nice pictures Rob and hvydrt! From the pictures, it looks like the San Gorgonio area got a bit more snow than the Baldy area.

Ditto on frozen camelbak hose - I put as much of the hose inside my jacket as I could and that thawed it out for a while - if I went higher I'm sure it would have froze up again. In the winter I usually carry liter Nalgene bottles in my pack, but I didn't think to do that yesterday. I did remember to wear my mountaineering boots instead of the trail runners I've been wearing for months - my legs didn't like that extra weight.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Rob - Thanks for the report on what that couple encountered up higher on Baldy - I was wondering if it was ice all the way up, but it sounds like there was some real snow up higher.

Kathy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Kathy, I would have waved a hello to you from one trail to the other, but for visibility in the a.m. . . . . . You may have been challenged keeping your group in sight on the same trail.