12/18 Dreaming . . . . . . .

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'm sitting here in my (second) office in Corona, 3rd floor, with direct view of Baldy. My blinds are open, and I'm finding myself looking more at the mountains than working. I'm dreaming, no, wishing, I was up there right now, plodding through virgin snow to a destination unknown. Maybe packing some skiis for quick, quiet descent.

So tell me. What do you guys do when you are stuck in an office and can't think of anything but getting to the outdoors?

Is there a fix for this?

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

EnFuego wrote:I'm sitting here in my (second) office in Corona, 3rd floor, with direct view of Baldy. My blinds are open, and I'm finding myself looking more at the mountains than working. I'm dreaming, no, wishing, I was up there right now, plodding through virgin snow to a destination unknown. Maybe packing some skiis for quick, quiet descent.

So tell me. What do you guys do when you are stuck in an office and can't think of anything but getting to the outdoors?

Is there a fix for this?
There is only one known fix. Head for the hills!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Well, I do sort of feel a sore throat coming on. I guess I should stay home from work tomorrow. And since I'm home, with nothing better to do, I guess I can head for the hills. :lol:

Yeap! I think that works.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tried to get into the mountains today....

The roads where sheets of ice.

I drove up Big Tujunga Cyn Rd, I started encountering patches of ice above the second bridge. By mile marker 8.75 the shaded areas was thin ice. By the time I got to Angeles Forest Highway (MM 9.94) it was solid ice.

Did some doughnuts etc... And headed down disappointed I couldn't get to Josephine Peak!

Ah well we'll go over to Dunsmore Cyn and look up the east fork, this was my original plan for today... Snow up here as well

Went home and got my chains and headed up to Josephine Peak again. I stopped at Mill Creek Road, but a Highway Patrol vehicle came down from AFH and said the road was closed you can't go up there chains or not.

Oh well we did get out and about a bit, will try to get up there tomorrow AM

here's the photos
http://picasaweb.google.com/mattmaxon91040/2008_12_18#

Cheers
Matt
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

mattmaxon wrote:Tried to get into the mountains today....

The roads where sheets of ice.

I drove up Big Tujunga Cyn Rd, I started encountering patches of ice above the second bridge. By mile marker 8.75 the shaded areas was thin ice. By the time I got to Angeles Forest Highway (MM 9.94) it was solid ice.

Did some doughnuts etc... And headed down disappointed I couldn't get to Josephine Peak!
OK, you got to AFH, found a sheet of ice, ate a bunch of doughnuts, and headed for home. Not a bad start for the day. 8)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Matt - sounds like you did a lot of driving today. I envy that you were able to be up in the mtns today.

Beautiful pictures. Love the fresh snow.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Indeed, nice photos. I presume those scratch marks on the alder in one of the photos are from a bear? Interesting how much bear activity there is so close to my home (Dunsmore is very close by).

One thing I've noticed about the CHP: If you go up early they often aren't manning checkpoints yet. Now you can get yourself in trouble if you do something stupid like "I won't need chains," but if you've got the right kind of vehicle with the right kind traction devices and you know what you're doing (especially when to turn back!), sometimes you can have a really great day out there. Now, I'm not saying today was a good day to go up early and beat the CHP; it sounds like today's road closure was appropriate, but I've seen it where the CHP was requiring chains on dry, level pavement (literally).

I've driven up early sometimes to places that were later blocked off by the CHP and had a great day (without hordes of people). Again, I do not recommend that you do something stupid. Know that if you do get in trouble, there won't be a lot of traffic. Be prepared to spend the night out. Be able to extricate your own vehicle. Bring communication devices that will work in the you are going to and en route. Most of all, be safe out there (but do have fun). :)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

EnFuego,

I'm sitting in an office in Corona On the Third Floor looking out of my blinds as well.

You cannot be far from me, Corona's not that big.

I'm on Rincon, where you at?
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'm on Rincon as well. 255 E. Rincon. Suite 323.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

In the cubicle next to you. :lol:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Hikin_Jim wrote:In the cubicle next to you. :lol:
Close. Patrick was actually two suites down, same building, same floor.

What are the odds. Now I'm really not going to get any work done. I'll be in his office or he in mineto discuss hiking. Damn, need to find new job now. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

EnFuego wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:In the cubicle next to you. :lol:
Close. Patrick was actually two suites down, same building, same floor. :lol:
Told ya. :wink:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Talk about a "twilight episode" when EnFuego was describing where he was I was doing the same thing, day dreaming at about the same time only to find out he was down the hall two doors looking out the window from the same building.

Even more amazing is that when his company downsized he used to sit at the very desk in the same (Sub office) that I now sit at. I knew it was a good fit when I took this job.They retooled that end of the third floor to seperate his companies business from ours (when we moved in) and I just happened to end up with his old office.

Everyone head to Disneyland and get on that famous ride and sing along "It's a small world after all".

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

:lol: