Devil's Canyon Trail - fallen trees

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

Tried to hike the Devil's Canyon Trail today. Climbed over, under and around quite a few fallen trees on the way down. When we got to the bottom where the creek is (about 2 miles in) it got much worse and I turned around. I'm sure some members of this board would have kept going, but for this hiker it was too much. I'm guessing a lot of the canyons in the front range are in this condition.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for report!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

North side of Mt Wilson is similarly affected. Rim Trail yesterday had quite a bit of snow for first few switchbacks, still deep in places. Middle section was OK, but had some deadfall. The worst was just west of Newcomb Pass, where it appears a tornado whacked a path straight down the mountainside. Very wide path of destruction, most trees live and dead were downed. Rincon Rd just below this is just as bad.

Reports from another board I frequent say Strawberry Pk Trail is also a mess.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Tom Kenney wrote: North side of Mt Wilson is similarly affected. Rim Trail yesterday had quite a bit of snow for first few switchbacks, still deep in places. Middle section was OK, but had some deadfall. The worst was just west of Newcomb Pass, where it appears a tornado whacked a path straight down the mountainside. Very wide path of destruction, most trees live and dead were downed. Rincon Rd just below this is just as bad.

Reports from another board I frequent say Strawberry Pk Trail is also a mess.
I went to Newcomb via Mt. Wilson last spring. Awesome trail. Didn't see a single person until Newcomb. It was clear back then, but that was right after winter.

This reminds me: I've been thinking of joining a trail maintenance crew. Any recommendations? San Gabriel Tralbuilders?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Anthony wrote: This reminds me: I've been thinking of joining a trail maintenance crew. Any recommendations? San Gabriel Tralbuilders?
The other very active group I know of in the area is Mount Wilson Bicycle Association. I'm not sure with which group Our Gracious Host is affiliated, but that would be my choice, since it seems more hiking-centric.
walker

Post by walker »

Do you think the downed trees are burn related, weather cycle related or other?
Maybe long drought followed by a big winter followed by who knows what...
I've been seeing a lot of mature trees come down along the Gabrieleno Trail in the Arroyo, some burned, some not.
Also quite a bit of rockfall - maybe a result of dying vegetation that can't hold the ground together anymore?
When you think of the change in flora across the range since the 1990s, it's kind of striking - Many stands of pine that existed at lower elevations in those north-facing pockets seem to be severely distressed and the stands that have burned may not recover. Could be like our own mini-Australia condition? I've only seen pine saplings bouncing back at higher elevations like around Charlton flats.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

@walker

re: downed trees, all of the above, but the kicker is severe wind events. re: pine death, the ponderosas (Chilao) seem fairly resistant, white firs are suffering (East Blue Ridge), live oaks are resistant but cope by 'suiciding' select branches. Sorry to be brief...falling asleep! Cheers! ?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

I hiked the Mt. Wilson Toll Road from Altadena on Sunday. The last forested section before the traverse below Mt. Harvard had a lot of downed tress as well. On the summit trail there was residual snow, but no spikes needed. More snow coming in on Thursday.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote: I'm not sure with which group Our Gracious Host is affiliated, but that would be my choice, since it seems more hiking-centric.
I'm not doing trail work right now, but I used to help out The Restoration Legacy Crew. RLC is authorized to work on official trails in the ANF. They've specialized in restoring and maintaining historic trails in Millard Canyon.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote: I'm not sure with which group Our Gracious Host is affiliated, but that would be my choice, since it seems more hiking-centric.
I'm not doing trail work right now, but I used to help out The Restoration Legacy Crew. RLC is authorized to work on official trails in the ANF. They've specialized in restoring and maintaining historic trails in Millard Canyon.
Good to know!
walker

Post by walker »

Also a bunch of recently downed trees between switzer picnic and switzer falls