Henninger Flats water status?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

So says the piece of paper tacked onto their welcome sign. The fountain and pipes are capped. Soda cans available for $0.75 in the visitor center. The flush restrooms are closed but a sign at the visitor center has the locations of "alternate restrooms," which I presume would be of the non-water variety, but I didn't check them out.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wow.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

That probably explains why the bathrooms were closed last time I was up there and there were alternates.

I always remember that soda machine being super cheap :)

Still, yeah, water....
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Yep.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Anyone know whether Henninger/Henniger Flats got enough water this year to turn on a drinking fountain?

If not, is the soda machine still $0.75? :D
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Water is off, and soda is still $0.75.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Water is off? :shock: I know the flush toilets are closed, but no water in the faucets?

How about at the ranger station/visitor center? Is any water available there?

HJ
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Yes, the fountains and spigots are capped, except for the horse trough that's marked "non potable." I suspect the ranger would likely help in an emergency, but I think the idea is to bring one's own water, as evidenced by the "No water at Henninger" sign at the Pinecrest gate.
hbandrew

Post by hbandrew »

Hi,

I spoke with a Ranger at Henniger Flats on Feb 10th. He told me the lack of water in the water tanks from the drought caused them to crack on the inside. They are in need of repair. They hope to have them repaired sometime this year.

I presume that even if it rains the water will remain turned off because the tanks are busted.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

As of last night, there is water at Henninger, it's just not potable. The spigot behind the restroom at the lower campground is working. I talked to a guy this morning who used it to water his dogs. He also said his group boiled it and used it for their dinner. I passed on that option, but it was nice for cleaning off the day's grime.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Heading up this weekend for a quick one-nighter with the little one. Has anyone been up recently that can confirm if the spigot by the restrooms is still working?

Thx!
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

mangus7175 wrote: Heading up this weekend for a quick one-nighter with the little one. Has anyone been up recently that can confirm if the spigot by the restrooms is still working?

Thx!
No clue as to if the water was running, but I was looking at something on my son's boy scout district calendar and Troop 342 from South Pasadena will be holding an event up there this weekend. Not sure of their expected turnout, but here's the flyer : http://luckybaldwinbsa.org/files/Hennin ... sFlyer.pdf

Long story short, there may be a bunch of boy scouts and cub scouts up there this weekend so if you are looking for solitude you might want to head elsewhere..
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on staying at Upper Fuji...most of the time, the troops stay down below near the museum.
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

If you Google Henninger Flats you can get a phone number to the ranger station direct. I have called them a few times about water and they are always a pleasant talk. If you guys can't find the number, let me know as I have it somewhere, just would have to look for it.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Spigot was working as I suspected. Just needed to be sure. If you do call them though, they will deny that water is available. The spigot is technically not public knowledge.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Does anyone know the status of the "Henninger Flats Potable Water and Septic Systems Refurbishment Project?"

DSC01320.jpg

I took that photo on May 24, and there were also some "trucks this way" type signs on the Toll Road, but I didn't observe any obvious work or work crews.

Myself, I'm able to filter the water from the horse spigot, but I'm just curious about the water project.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Didn’t know there was a spigot there. Thanks. Been hauling a grip of water up after filtering in Eaton Cyn.
Sean

Post by Sean »

There is a faucet next to the horse trough. I drank from it without dying. The trough spigot is still marked "not potable." But the human one isn't marked and has strong flow.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: There is a faucet next to the horse trough. I drank from it without dying. The trough spigot is still marked "not potable." But the human one isn't marked and has strong flow.
So you had a choice and you went full-equine?
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: So you had a choice and you went full-equine?
No, that would be silly. Though I have started walking on all fours for some reason.