Santa Monica Mountains Wildflowers

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

The wildflower bloom in the Santa Monica Mountains is insane right now. I assume in the San Gabriels as well. Worth getting out to see. Here's a link to some pics I took yesterday in the La Jolla Valley and along the Backbone Trail.

http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2015/ ... lower.html
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Really nice wildflower collection there, Rico. Superior quality.
longcut

Post by longcut »

superb photos. I'm not likely to make a wildflower trip this year. Thanks for sharing.

Learned something too. I have both a Hummingbird Sage and a Pitcher Sage at home. I never knew people sometimes reffered to Salvia Spathacea as a Pitcher Sage also.

Oh, and I also have several Brittlebush at home, and I never new Bush Sunflower was also called by that name sometimes. Wow! Weird coinkydink!

Im looking forward to catching the flannel bush going off up on the Chapman Trail.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Nice pics! We went this week as well after we heard about the good bloom. If I didn't have my 3 year old son in tow, I would've tried the La Jolla Valley location - but I did that Chumash Trail once and it's too steep for my kid. But we did find some really nice displays on the Pentachaeta Trail and at Paramount Ranch. Came up empty at Malibu Creek and Virgenes Canyon. Will post my photos soon!
tarol

Post by tarol »

Here are my photos taken last week in the Santa Monica Mountains and Poppy Reserve:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tarol/set ... 877295294/
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nic pics tarol.
If I didn't have my 3 year old son in tow, I would've tried the La Jolla Valley location - but I did that Chumash Trail once and it's too steep for my kid.
Yeah, I can see that. It is a bit of a climb. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon your perspective), now that the La Jolla Canyon trail is washout out, it's the only way in unless you go around and come in from Sycamore Canyon.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Uncle Rico wrote: The wildflower bloom in the Santa Monica Mountains is insane right now. I assume in the San Gabriels as well. Worth getting out to see. Here's a link to some pics I took yesterday in the La Jolla Valley and along the Backbone Trail.

http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2015/ ... lower.html
That's a lot of nice pics.

Wherever you see that fountain grass you should kill it if you have the time and inclination. That's awfully invasive. Wherever you see it will turn into nothing but fountain grass in a few years. There's an area in the Monrovia area where that stuff has overran a couple of acres that used to be california sage, black sage, and monkey flowers. Now it's solid fountain grass.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

SGBob wrote: Wherever you see that fountain grass you should kill it if you have the time and inclination. That's awfully invasive. Wherever you see it will turn into nothing but fountain grass in a few years. There's an area in the Monrovia area where that stuff has overran a couple of acres that used to be california sage, black sage, and monkey flowers. Now it's solid fountain grass.
Second on the fountain grass. That stuff is extremely invasive.

Gorgeous pics U.R!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Check. Kill all Fountain Grass. :evil: