Return to Scene of Accident 07/24/10 Late Report

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

IHC, 3T's, Harwood, Baldy, IHC

Feeling about 40% healed from a full Achillies rupture at end of February, and also feeling antsy to get back out on the trail, I tested my leg a little on this first hike since the accident.

My Achillies was stiff (as usual) for the first mile or so before loosening up enough to hike with a little comfort. Steep sections still gave me problems, but was managable. Barely having my cast removed 2 months ago, and being 5 months since the accident, my cardio was not what it used to be. I could tell by the time I reached IHS that I had some conditioning to do.

I didn't take many pictures as I didn't charge my camera fully, but here are some details and a few pics:

IHC TH (start): 6:45am
IHS (3.2 mi): 7:55am
Timber Mtn (0.8 mi): 8:15am
Telegraph Pk (1.7 mi): 9:05am
Thunder Mtn (1.1 mi): 9:45am
Baldy Notch (1.3 mi): 10:20am
Lunch/Break Rehydrate

Saw Ellen and ??? at the Baldy Lodge. Ellen looked happy as usual being outdoors.

Lunch/Break over: 11:35am
Mt Harwood (2.5 mi): 12:50pm (that first hill next to ski lodge sucks at high noon)
Mt Baldy (0.7 mi): 1:05pm
Break/Chit Chat with folks: 20 mins
Manker Flat (3.7 mi):2:40pm

Started to hitchhike back to car at IHC parking lot, but was too embarrassed. Wound up walking back to vehicle.

IHC Parking Lot (end): 3:35pm

All in all I felt pretty good after being out of commission for about 5.5 months. Did almost 18 miles in just under 9 hours.

Here's a few pics:

Site of the great accident of February 2010:

Flashback:

Reinactment:

Bill

Post by Bill »

Way to get back in the saddle so to speak. :)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Bill said it all. :D