Baldy at 60mph 12.23.09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
norma r

Post by norma r »

In November i recv'd an email from my friend MC who wanted to hike Baldy while she was down here visiting family for Christmas. She posted her intention to hike on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board and the group grew to ten hikers. :D

On Wednesday, 12.23.09, the ten of us started from Manker Flat on a chilly and windy morning. We intended to climb the bowl but as we got our first view of it from down below we could see the spindrift rising above the ridges. At the hut we took shelter from the wind on it's downhill side, added a layer of clothing, put on crampons and decided the winds made the bowl too risky and headed out on the main trail to reach the summit.

Our friend MC, lives in Vancouver, Washington, where most of her hiking is limited to peaks of 3-5k and fell behind on the ascent. The intense wind eliminated conversation and kept our exchanges short: "ready," "let's go," "be careful" and "it's freakin' cold" kind of moments. We found ourselves breaking into groups of two to the summit and eight of us made it and had a few minutes of trying to keep our balance for congrats and photos before we dropped down to get out of the fierce summit gusts. On the way down we ran into Jeff Scofield and MC. MC was feeling like she had reached her summit and declared so at 9,600' as Jeff went on for a solo summit to meet us again on his way down.

Jeff, MC and I continued down together and what we did not know was that a rescue was already in the works. A young woman, Natalie, from another group climbing the bowl had fallen 1000' when a gust caused her to lose her balance. With the rest of our group ahead of us, two from our group with the most medical training, Sara and Bob immediately helped carry her with others to the hut and staged the scene and offered assistance. To make a long story short, Natalie was suffering from ice burns (abrasions from the fall) over most of her body and abdominal pains. We all offered items from our packs, hand warmers, bivy sacks, extra clothing to try and keep Natalie warm, but she was obviously hypothermic. Some climbers ran down the mtn to get cell service to call 911.

I had an early family Christmas Eve planned for that evening in Santa Barbara and had to make arrangements for Sara to get back to my house where she had been staying so I could (reluctantly) leave the mtn and there. Both Shin and Tracie offered to drive more than 100 miles out of their way to take Sara to my home when the rescue personnel arrived and eventually Tracie did just that. What generosity! :D :!: :D For some reason personnel was not able to carry Natalie down the trail on the litter and when the 3rd rescue helicopter, a Black Hawk, arrived around 9pm Natalie was finally on her way to the hospital.

I think we were all impressed by the community of mountaineers that came together to aid Natalie and I am so thankful to have climbed with such generous hikers. Sara, Bob and Blake stayed with Natalie to the end as darkness fell and the temps kept dropping. :D :!: :D Sam ran down the hill to alert firefighters of the injury and later followed Tracie down the mtn when she needed to get gas for a very low tank. I heard he headed home at 7:30pm. Tracie waited out the evening to take Sara home and then drove to Orange County in the wee hours of Thursday morning. Natalie was released from the hospital on Christmas Day with ice burns treated and a broken finger. A very lucky climber for such a long fall.

So our little winter hike turned into an epic day with, thankfully, a happy ending. A Christmas blessing if you ask me. :D

Ready to Rock 'n Roll (photo courtesy of Tracie)

60mph Gusts vs Stout Hikers

Rescue in action (photo courtesy of Blake)

Rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma8 ... 0Mph122309#
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Norma, you guys all did a great thing helping that fallen climber. As always your pictures are great - (you need to edit the post to remove [/IMG] at the end of your link as it takes you to your short cut but does not bring up the pictures, I noticed it and removed it in the URL task bar and after that it brought up the pictures)

The wind on Thursday morning was not quite that fast but it was close to 45 MPH when we reached the Ski Hut so I'm sure had we kept going we would have faced the same issues you guys did.

What a great gift to give another climber/hiker at Christmas time, the reassurance that she had "Help", food, cloathing, and friendship. That can make all the difference in those conditions.

Thanks for posting the TR. See you on the trail soon.

:D
norma r

Post by norma r »

thanx Patrick! i made the edit. hope to also share a trail with you again soon. :D
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

A memorable outing, to say the least. You folks did well. Sorry Ia had to miss that one.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Great pictures, Norma. Thanks for posting them.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Thats awesome@
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:Image

Thats awesome@
What he said
Tim

Post by Tim »

Norma and Sam, thanks for the detailed trip report on what happened. I'm glad everything worked out. Natalie was very lucky. A lot of people have fallen on Baldy and died or were much more seriously injured. RJ Secor had a similar fall down the Bowl in 2005 and suffered pretty bad head trauma.

Here's a story of cheating death on Snow Creek where a climber was also knocked off balance by a gust of wind: http://home.flash.net/~cfoster2/climbin ... Creek.html
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Thanks for the trip reports Norma and Sam
Here on the Skyline trail we had another rescue on Saturday
http://mydesert.com/article20091227/NEW ... rs+rescued