Water at Cedar Glen? (Icehouse Canyon area)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Anyone know if the water at Cedar Glen is still running? Cedar Glen is the trail camp that you come to if you take the Chapman trail instead of the main trail up Icehouse Canyon.
simonov

Post by simonov »

There's a little stream running across the trail just below Cedar Glen if that's what you're talking about.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:There's a little stream running across the trail just below Cedar Glen if that's what you're talking about.
Yep, that's the one. How well was it flowing? Enough to filter from?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
simonov wrote:There's a little stream running across the trail just below Cedar Glen if that's what you're talking about.
Yep, that's the one. How well was it flowing? Enough to filter from?
Yes, plenty two weeks ago.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Great. Thank you, Simonov.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Can anyone provide me the conditions of the Icehouse Canyon Trail and of Cedar Glen Campground? I'm guessing it's free of snow but wanted to see if anyone has been up that way recently. Also, is the stream right below Cedar Glen flowing? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Went through There today (4/3) and the trail is free of snow from the trailhead all the way to the camp. The stream is flowing with plenty of water. Nobody was up there today.
There are some remaining snow patches along the trail past the camp, between the camp and the upper junction with Icehouse Canyon Trail.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Thanks for the info!
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Uhh, anybody had a chance to get to Cedar Glen trail camp up Icehouse Canyon in the past week or so? Any chance that the spring just below the camp is still running? I have not been up there in a long time and I do not know how early in the season this one usually dries up. Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was there a couple of months ago, and the creek below Cedar Glen was running well, but I haven't been since then. Things are actually running well and some creeks that I didn't expect to be running were in fact running when I was out two weekends ago. I expect the rains we've been getting lately have something to do with that.

Can't be any more specific than that, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I was there on Saturday morning - plenty of water to fill bottles if you're pumping or don't mind sticking a bottle into a little pool (I don't mind). If you want to actually see some flow you might have to push back a few berry bushes but there is a good supply.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Excellent! Yeah a clear pool of water coming directly from a mountain spring, I'll risk it and drink the water directly. Thanks for the feedback Jeff and HJ!! Now, if only there were a 3 day weekend coming up... :roll:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Let us know if you get giardia. :lol:

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Let us know if you get giardia. :lol:

HJ
I've been drinking this water for about 40 years with no ill effects. Well, I guess that depends on who you ask....

My general rule is if it's coming straight out of the mountain it's probably OK.
A pond like at Trail Camp on Whitney? Definitely filter or get some from the switchbacks spring.
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was just giving Gozerian a hard time. I drink "wild" water all the time. I'm just selective about where I do it.

HJ
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Hahaha!! I'll be a test subject and let you know the results in a couple weeks
taktical

Post by taktical »

Any recent report on the water flow at the creek below Cedar Glen camp in Icehouse Canyon would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks!
Tak
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Last time I was there on 6/30, water was flowing well. I'm someone who has been there more recently will chime in.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

There is still water at the creek crossing just before entering Cedar Glen. It is not a lot, but it is adequate.

Cedar Glen is a real beauty spot.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice. Thanks for the update.

HJ
bossvoss

Post by bossvoss »

I am planning a trip to Cedar Glen in early August. Is the water at Cedar Glen reliable even in a drought year?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We were in Cedar Glen last November 9. The creek just before the campground had barely enough water then. Here is a picture. This August is anybody's guess.

andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

Still trickling as of this past Saturday. I think it was dry in late summer last year. Guessing it will be by this August too, but I'll try to remember to keep an eye out. Also, campground was surprisingly busy this weekend. 7 or 8 tents.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Cedar Glen is trickling. Not too much water at the top pool but a bit on the bottom.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Weak flow per Jeff's TR.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

4EB7E4A8-52CE-48BC-9196-9EF020C86712.jpeg
Donald Shimoda