BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Oh! And as you can see from my pics, I saw Dan Simpson from Dan's Hiking Pages. I recognized him immediately and shouted out "YEAH! IT'S DAN SIMPSON!!!" lol. He was totally shocked but appreciative. Then I took a pic with him on the way down.

Also I met Cy and Ellen before the start of the race. Its like I met all the stars of SoCal Hiking. :P
Tim

Post by Tim »

Man, you slept in your Civic's trunk with the back down? That's not a bad idea. I'm gonna have to steal that idea!

Good job on the time!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dude top stuff!
Augie

Post by Augie »

FIGHT ON wrote:PRETTY FAST! How many miles exactly? What were you carrying? Why are you carrying a bottle? doesn't that mess up your arm swing rhythm?
Wouldn't it be better to wear a bladder mini pack? Imagine using your arms mo betta! What is it the extra weight? I read a post by Rick Kent and on one of his hikes he left his cell phone because of the weight! :roll: :lol:
Too bad you're a bruin. I guess somebodys got to be. :roll: Can't wait to see those white and orange squares!
FIGHT ON did you see that game last night? Doesn't get much better than that. Hopefully, the Bruins will continue this course and set up the makings of a great cross-town game this year.

As for your questions. It's an 8-mile course with 4,000 feet of gain. Because of the weather forecast for coolness, I carried a very light fanny pack and had in it a very thin windbreaker and my car keys. I didn't need my windbreaker when I reached the top but it sure came in handy at the start area because it was chilly and people who were just in their running tops were shivering while waiting for the race to start.
In my hand I carried a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle. Why not a mini-bladder? You don't need that much water on this short a course. In ultra-marathons, I definitely carry a 3-litter bladder. Anyway, the water in my little bottle is to hold me between water stops. On the Baldy course, the water stops are every 2 miles (so there are 3). I carry it in my hand instead in my fanny pack for obvious reasons. Plus, when I put a water bottle in a fanny pack, it bounces up and down in the pack and I don't like that sensation. CARRYING A LIGHT BOTTLE LIKE THAT DOES NOT EFFECT ARM SWING/RHYTHM WHATSOEVER. My bottle is a little heavier than a baton carried in a relay, but I really don't feel it.

So when are we gonna see you out on the running trail?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I had a liter of water with some gatorade crap in it in a really small camelbak that fit snugly on my back, as I need a lot of water and it worked perfectly. I prefer the camelbak as its less hassle to drink and placed closer to torso (less movement). I also packed a windbreaker which I agree was more important at the start.

and I ended up carrying my cell phone the whole time in my hand to take pictures. worked out pretty well
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:Oh! And as you can see from my pics, I saw Dan Simpson from Dan's Hiking Pages. I recognized him immediately and shouted out "YEAH! IT'S DAN SIMPSON!!!" lol. He was totally shocked but appreciative. Then I took a pic with him on the way down.

Also I met Cy and Ellen before the start of the race. Its like I met all the stars of SoCal Hiking. :P
Lol. I guess this was the "see and be seen" race.

Did you notice Dan Simpson's T shirt? It says "Local Hikes" and has the http://www.localhikes.com/ logo on it. Lol. The local internet really turned out. :lol:

Cy's quite the character. He did the Skyline Trail out by Palm Springs before there was a tram. The tram was built around '61. Very few of us can make that claim. His business cards from the '60's have been found in remote desert peak register cans recently. He likes to get 10k feet of gain per week "just to stay in shape." You rock, Cy.
Augie

Post by Augie »

I need to correct my time for this year. It was 1:39 and not 1:38.

By the way, Joseph, don't you think the T-Shirt design for this year was really cool?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:FIGHT ON did you see that game last night? Doesn't get much better than that. Hopefully, the Bruins will continue this course and set up the makings of a great cross-town game this year.

As for your questions. It's an 8-mile course with 4,000 feet of gain. Because of the weather forecast for coolness, I carried a very light fanny pack and had in it a very thin windbreaker and my car keys. I didn't need my windbreaker when I reached the top but it sure came in handy at the start area because it was chilly and people who were just in their running tops were shivering while waiting for the race to start.
In my hand I carried a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle. Why not a mini-bladder? You don't need that much water on this short a course. In ultra-marathons, I definitely carry a 3-litter bladder. Anyway, the water in my little bottle is to hold me between water stops. On the Baldy course, the water stops are every 2 miles (so there are 3). I carry it in my hand instead in my fanny pack for obvious reasons. Plus, when I put a water bottle in a fanny pack, it bounces up and down in the pack and I don't like that sensation. CARRYING A LIGHT BOTTLE LIKE THAT DOES NOT EFFECT ARM SWING/RHYTHM WHATSOEVER. My bottle is a little heavier than a baton carried in a relay, but I really don't feel it.

So when are we gonna see you out on the running trail?
congrats.
Sounds like you thought all this through already. Makes sense. Thanks.

Ya I was there. Broke up three fights, listened to the stupid alumni cheerleader again, and again, and again, every man woman and child, 8 clap, A....C...L....U... ACLU FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! I hate that guy.
this happens every year, aclu gets pegged as a national contender and then they just............ well you know!
Did you see the polls today? oh yeah! both polls sucka!
You gotta feel sorry for that vol kicker :roll: but that's college football!

I can't even put weight on my foot without pain. My wife calls me Frankenstein.
You might see me out there. But I am in no shape to run. I would like to run,hike,walk,crawl it someday though.
I've been trying to find out what Perrys time is. Are results posted somewhere yet?
Thanks again for the info.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Augie wrote:I need to correct my time for this year. It was 1:39 and not 1:38.

By the way, Joseph, don't you think the T-Shirt design for this year was really cool?
I definitely like the t-shirt. Glad I bought one!
Augie

Post by Augie »

FIGHT ON, what happened to your foot?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:I can't even put weight on my foot without pain.
Major suckage. Hope it heals quick and well. Don't rush back out on the trail, hard as it may be to hold off. Ya gots to get yer feets to 100% and not screw 'em up permanent like. :shock:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:I can't even put weight on my foot without pain.
Major suckage. Hope it heals quick and well. Don't rush back out on the trail, hard as it may be to hold off. Ya gots to get yer feets to 100% and not screw 'em up permanent like. :shock:
Thanks Jim,
Very depressing. :cry:
Amazing how such a small part of the body makes so much difference. The body is an amazing thing. I'm going insane. Ellen, I feel your pain! good thing the smt is 54 miles instead of 53! :D
You ever sprained your ankle real bad? I mean real bad.
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

Fight On, You may find that you can mountain bike sooner than hiking again. So at least that's getting outdoors. Fun downhills too.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

http://runtothetopphotos.ifp3.com/

oh yeah look at the pain!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Maxwell's Demon wrote:Fight On, You may find that you can mountain bike sooner than hiking again. So at least that's getting outdoors. Fun downhills too.
Gotta do something soon. :evil: I have two mountain bikes but they don't have shocks. Not fun using my knees for absorbers anymore going downhill. I guess this type of thing just has to take its time. At least I have a foot. Can you imagine not having a foot?
When ever I catch myself complaining, about anything, I watch this. Puts things in perspective real quick.
Ya, sure my foot hurts, :roll: but at least I have one. Guess I'll live with it for a while.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Nice shot Joseph. Yah, I recognize the pain on the guy's face.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:Nice shot Joseph. Yah, I recognize the pain on the guy's face.
Augie, Looks like J had too much left at the end. You think he coulda had a faster time?
Wait till you see the pain after next Saturdays game with SC! :D
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Fight On,

I'm so sorry you're injured -- my heart goes out to you :cry: I stayed sane during my 4 month recovery by reading hiking posts and working out on a recumbant bike in physical therapy. I transfered to the stairmaster after that and then hiking.

I sprained my left ankle (yep, same one) badly while running years ago. I tore the anterior talofibular ligament, even pulled off a piece of bone. I used a stationary bike for aobut 10 days. I was able to run with the ankle taped by an athletic trainer after that time. I also hit the physical therapy hard to stablize the joint. Also used ice and galvanic stimulation to reduce the swelling.

When I hiked up the 100 switchbacks on Whitney, I thought about a guy I met in physical therapy who had lost his foot in an industrial accident. He was an inspiration.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Fight On, maybe you should go to......THE GYM :shock: I know, the horror, the horror!!! :D

As for the finish, I did have too much left. Not much, but still too much. I planned on pushing the last 5 minutes, but didn't estimate the timing right. Waited too long. People on top were yelling as I passed people at the end, but I could have gone earlier. Now I know better.

Next year, I'm shooting for 1:25.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Ellen wrote:Howdy Fight On,

I'm so sorry you're injured -- my heart goes out to you :cry: I stayed sane during my 4 month recovery by reading hiking posts and working out on a recumbant bike in physical therapy. I transfered to the stairmaster after that and then hiking.

I sprained my left ankle (yep, same one) badly while running years ago. I tore the anterior talofibular ligament, even pulled off a piece of bone. I used a stationary bike for aobut 10 days. I was able to run with the ankle taped by an athletic trainer after that time. I also hit the physical therapy hard to stablize the joint. Also used ice and galvanic stimulation to reduce the swelling.

When I hiked up the 100 switchbacks on Whitney, I thought about a guy I met in physical therapy who had lost his foot in an industrial accident. He was an inspiration.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Thanks Ellen, those are very kind words coming from a person to whom I have not been very ..... what's that word Jim? diplomatic? to. :lol:
I am not joking, Thank you Ellen. :D
I keep thinking about how you were out for that time and I know hiking isn't your only thing but not being able to do hardly anything, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T EVEN WALK, is crazy. You must have gone nuts.
I didn't pull of any pieces of bones and didn't break any,(i waited like a week and a half before I got x rays. :shock: :roll:) WHAT? I thought it was gonna go away! I think I ripped the same anterior talofibular ligament and maybe something that goes around my heel. Said the foot doc.
How long did it take your sprain to heal. I am afraid that I have weakened my whole ankle and it could happen again. Wouldn't that be nice! Might as well just twist the whole sucker right off and be done with it! Is there some exercises that I can do after it heals to make it so strong like iron so it doesn't happen again? Maybe like those body lifts you do with your toes on a 2x4 with weights on your shoulders and you go up and down with your heels touching the ground and then up except sideways. I doubt I will be jammin down a trail at 10 pm and twisting my body to the right, planting my foot on the edge of some asphalt often but it would be nice to have super strong ankles.
It's been like 18 days now, I am able to limp around and almost walk normally. I can wait. One thing I was thinking is that the longer I'm not hiking the more it will be like the first time when I discovered how beautiful it is up there when I can go back. Can't wait, just to be able to walk up there again. Just to be up there. I guess I started to get used to it.
Pretty nice Ellen, Thanks!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:Fight On, maybe you should go to......THE GYM :shock: I know, the horror, the horror!!! :D

As for the finish, I did have too much left. Not much, but still too much. I planned on pushing the last 5 minutes, but didn't estimate the timing right. Waited too long. People on top were yelling as I passed people at the end, but I could have gone earlier. Now I know better.

Next year, I'm shooting for 1:25.
I bet you could get close to 1:20 if you at least once every two months ran it.
You would be so familiar with it by next year. KNOWING the route is HUGE.
Ask Perry how well he knows Skyline.

I ain't gonna go to some smelly gym. Life is too short. But thanks anyway. :)
Augie

Post by Augie »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Augie wrote:Nice shot Joseph. Yah, I recognize the pain on the guy's face.
Augie, Looks like J had too much left at the end. You think he coulda had a faster time?
Wait till you see the pain after next Saturdays game with SC! :D
I think he could have gone faster. The long blue stockings slowed him down!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:I think he could have gone faster. The long blue stockings slowed him down!
Yep! They weigh more than the short ones. More wind resistance unless you got really hairy legs. People keep making comments about them during the race distracts you from concentrating on the little tiny 11 year old girl that just passed your butt up. :shock: And they look like you a Bruin.:roll:
Get rid of em!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yes! Dan Simpson posted a ton of pictures from the race here: http://sports.webshots.com/album/566562880SWREPY/

He got one just as I was starting to point out my hand yelling "Hey its Dan Simpson" lol
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Oh, this was maybe 10 years ago, pretty sure we were on that Glendora Ridge Road...

We were stopped at a turnout, looking at the south or southwest face of Baldy....

When I swore I coulda saw a [yellow] bulldozer [not moving] way way up the face of Baldy, on a very steep portion of the mountain...

Was I seeing things, or could that really have been possible?

(And I should stress, it was way way up there...)

Just curious, that's all...
Zach

Post by Zach »

what part of the mountain was it on? They sometimes clear out fire breaks but its mount BALDY, there's nothing but rock up there so...
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Hi Zach,

Mmmmm, almost sure it was high up on the south face, maybe a little bit to the south west...

It wasn't on a ridge, in fact, it looked to be in a very awkward spot... in area of loose, small rock, almost dirt-ish or gravelly type surface.

I know I sound crazy thinking I saw this --- but am fairly sure it was a bulldozer.

Forget my coat, ok, I'll go get my straight-jacket :wink: :wink:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

funny you mention that. i was scoping out Bighorn Ridge, which happens to be SW of Baldy.

I found what looks to be some buildings, probably to that tungsten mine or whatever.

but if you look at this map/ image, you see a dirt road head up the face, B through D. looks steep.

I don't know if that's what you are talking about, but maybe
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Thanks Ze, i will study that map better - maybe this possibly lucky photo could help...

I just screen captured this pic off Google Earth, wish I knew how to create a link to take right to this picture... picture looks to be taken near a turnout, kinda from the area I think we were in....

Still, this is the area that I think I saw...

*Sorry if I'm getting things mixed up, this looks to be 5-6 miles west of Baldy according to Google Earth...