Annual Winter Mountaineering Clinic

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Excuse me mister taco sir, but would it be a good idea to select a backup date in case snow level on jan17 sucks snowballs...sir?

Adan (tallkan)
Taco

Post by Taco »

That would be a wise decision.

How about some time in February? I've burned all my stars or whatever for taking time off in January.

February 7th, 14th, 21st?
Taco

Post by Taco »

OK, I'm setting it for February 14. Everything else remains the same. Axe, crampons, helmet. Meeting at the ski hut at 9am.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I'm not sure I can make the winter clinic, as much as I would enjoy it.

I thought I'd throw another unrelated idea out there for you...

How about a basic canyoneering clinic? From my own perspective, really basic, like what kind of rope and webbing to use, building and testing hitches, belay/rappel devices, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

That is usually handled as a trip with the machete brothers. 2-3 'guests' max. There are a few of us, so everything is real buttoned down, even if it feels casual.

I would want to have a small student to instructor ratio for anything technical.

So, yes, but small. :)
marevalo

Post by marevalo »

Hi all,

A friend forwarded me the link to this discussion, and I would really like to join this practice session. Is it definitely rescheduled for Feb. 14th? Are any experienced instructors available and interested in going out on Jan. 17th? I have a lot of backpacking experience and some snow travel (snowshoeing, snow camping), but not any ice axe/crampon stuff. I know there are a limited number of "guests," but I would love to join if possible. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Molly
Robert Busta

Post by Robert Busta »

:D Maybe snow on Baldy this weekend! Ya think it'll still be there on the January 17th? Is that still the plan? (BTW, I'm new--I just registered a few minutes ago)
Taco

Post by Taco »

In order for the clinic to happen, we need enough consolidated snow in the bowl to practice proper axe and crampon technique. This requirement has not yet been met. Slopes available to train on are north facing and are far from beginner group friendly.

I doubt I will try to host this clinic again. I've had to cancel it before for the same reasons, and it's a lot of trouble organizing and advertising a free clinic only to consistently cancel it because our climate does not support scheduled expected conditions.

The date of February 14 is not solid, because we could very well have poor conditions then as well. If conditions are not right, I will 'cancel' the event. Again, I work weekends because I'm a retail slave, so I have little flexibility.

I would expect a week's notice if the clinic is on or not. Always depends on conditions. It's nature.
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Hi Taco,

Any suggestions on where I could go to practice with crampons and ice axe that's away from the crowds like what's present on the Baldy Bowl? If there's a spot to glissade, that'd be a bonus.

I do have some experience with the equipment, but want to get out more. I had some 'formal' training in highschool(15 yrs ago). I spent some time in Yosemite in addition to climbing, then glissading the chute to the north of the switchbacks on Whitney last June.

Thanks!
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Taco,
It will be impossible to expect consolidated snow condition on certain day in the month. Even the snow from last two storms finally consolidate enough to be slippery just recently.

I don't know what you are going to teach but there is still good amount of snow in some steep enough slopes and canyons above 9000 feet of Goode canyon. The Goode canyon is west side of regular Ski hut trail to the summit.

How about north facing slopes of Ontario peak?

How about south facing slopes of West Baldy?

How about a 100 yard stretch section of steep west facing slope of Bear canyon trail at bottom of West Baldy? This place offers a good practice area with very safe catch basin.

Let's hope more snow!!

Shin
Taco

Post by Taco »

snmtbaldy wrote: Hi Taco,
It will be impossible to expect consolidated snow condition on certain day in the month. Even the snow from last two storms finally consolidate enough to be slippery just recently.

I don't know what you are going to teach but there is still good amount of snow in some steep enough slopes and canyons above 9000 feet of Goode canyon. The Goode canyon is west side of regular Ski hut trail to the summit.

How about north facing slopes of Ontario peak?

How about south facing slopes of West Baldy?

How about a 100 yard stretch section of steep west facing slope of Bear canyon trail at bottom of West Baldy? This place offers a good practice area with very safe catch basin.

Let's hope more snow!!

Shin
Hikinggeek,
Right now I'd say the northeast face of Baldy might be good. You can go up Devils Backbone, over Harwood, and onto the face. Not sure what else is in condition right now with this 'winter' we've got.

Shin,
I was looking at Goode over these past few trips. It's not in the most convenient spot for a clinic, but it's doable. We would need to move there as a group, I would think.

Most of the terrain I've been on on Ontario's NF is either steep and technical, or low angle. I'm not sure where we would do it.

I'm unfamiliar with Bear Canyon, having never hiked it, so I cannot comment on that area.

I've given up on snow inside. You guys better pull for it! I'm convinced we won't have any good winters anymore. :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

I am no longer interested in hosting a clinic for winter mountaineering. The weather rarely cooperates, it's very challenging to get the time off despite my low social/job standing, and it's a lot of work trying to make sure everyone interested is informed and not disappointed. I do not receive any financial assistance from this to make all the work worthwhile, and I strongly believe in not charging anyone for access to our hills, which is one of the few free things we have left in our sad society. Not to sound negative or anything.

So, I'm done. If anyone else wishes to host a clinic to show folks how to put their crampons on the right feet, walk up big cold hills, and not get killed by falling objects etc etc etc, have at it. Might wanna move north a few hundred miles first.

Thank you guys for your positive responses and support for this clinic, and/or the idea for the clinic. I appreciate that. That has always been my payment, of sorts.

Adios
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

:( Our winters really have just been awfully rejecting these past few seasons. Thanks for trying though, every year i have wanted to join and the one year it sounded like a great success i couldn't make it due to no gear. I appreciate the effort anyways and, frankly it's understandable you're tired of trying to host something that you can't really control/garuntee, new-winter climbers such as myself appreciate the effort from community members like you in the first place.

Thanks anyways! Maybe we will have a 2010-11 winter again next year!

Cheers
Taco

Post by Taco »

Let's hope we get a good one this year. I'd like to have the clinic this season.
zZClintEastwoodZz

Post by zZClintEastwoodZz »

Taco wrote: Let's hope we get a good one this year. I'd like to have the clinic this season.
After next weeks massive dump i hope your'e going to do the clinic! just let me know the date and ill be there!!! only thing left to get is an ice axe..... 8)
Taco

Post by Taco »

What do you guys think of this Sunday, the 17th?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Where and when. I'd like to learn some skills. Don't have an axe either.
But I do have a set of rigid crampons, free to a good home.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
wiggingout

Post by wiggingout »

Im in for the 17th!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Turnout is too low so far. I'm holding off on this weekend. I am swamped with work and don't have time/energy to spare. Backup date would be sometime in February.

Default time and place would be Baldy Ski Hut at 8am. Crampons, axe, and helmet.