VIDEOS - Post or link to videos!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The vario might have gone nuts because they were flying through updrafts and downdrafts. It more or less measures the rate of change of altitude with respect to MSL. But on a glider they use a special "total energy compensated" vario to measure the rate of change of total energy of the glider. It has something to do with thermals and compensating for changes in altitude due to airspeed or something like that. I don't know exactly--this glider flying crap is complicated!

What you're thinking of is a radar altimeter which measures AGL by sending out a radio wave downward to measure the distance to the ground. These are typically only found on helicopters, large commercial aircraft or military aircraft.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Wow. That would be a rush!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Astonishing video! Now, if Steve Fossett could not handle the Sierra downdrafts, what chance does a glider have?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

that looks like a must do! :)
Tim

Post by Tim »

RichardK wrote:Astonishing video! Now, if Steve Fossett could not handle the Sierra downdrafts, what chance does a glider have?
Fossett was flying a Super Decathlon, a very different plane than this glider--a Duo Discus, which is a modern high performance composite sailplane built in the Czech Republic. I love eastern Europe! They make great R/C gliders and message board admins.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if a downdraft would affect the two planes equally, but the glider would have a better chance of recovery because the glide ratio is so much higher than the Decathlon. Sailplanes routinely fly in the mountains to take advantage of the mountain wave lift so the pilots are also probably use to flying in and reacting to any weird air.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Sank yuh!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Funyan005 wrote:The run down the valley at the end is amazing

THAT is very cool. Major guts to fly that thing up there. Wx didn't look too good. Major gusts come off those peaks. Can't just gun the engine if you get in a jam.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

My friend Gabe was testing a camera a couple of years ago. We went up to the tree plantation above Grizzly Flats & CCC ridge, and then over to Mueller tunnel. It's long, and has some stuff you can skip, like shots where he was seeing how the camera handled skin tones under various lighting conditions. But there's some real nice stuff of ACH (driving footage at 7:42, for the speedsters), and Mt Markham, Eaton Saddle, etc.

yeah, that's my dog off leash, chasing squirrels. I'm a bad person. :roll:

I just remembered that I had this, so I thought it might be interesting to share.

If the embedded version won't load, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8E8vtv ... re=channel
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

cool background music
Taco

Post by Taco »

Pretty cool!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Where is (was :cry: ) the tree plantation? I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard of it. Anyway, very cool video...did you do the sound editing?
Zach

Post by Zach »

Is that paul giamatti? :wink:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote:Where is (was :cry: ) the tree plantation? I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard of it. Anyway, very cool video...did you do the sound editing?
It's the big patch of pines you could see from ACH, near CCC ridge, the old Dark Canyon trail, etc. Or, they are at the saddle you'd come to if you kept hiking up past Grizzly Flats, if you were coming from the Tujunga side. Don't know who planted them, but I know the FS was using them for chainsaw practice. Some would be marked with paint, then the next time I went up, they'd be cut.

Didn't do any sound for this - it was all Gabe.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Zach wrote:Is that paul giamatti? :wink:

BIG HIKER!!! 8)
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

this makes the San Gabs look intense. foggy times make for some good shots. haha. when the Jeep enters the picture, the music completely changes into battle music, I love it.
anyways, cool short. what kind of camera you using?
norma r

Post by norma r »

thanks for sharing. cool music!

seeing your Rhodesian shake and her ears curled back made me miss mine so much. :( would love to hike with you and your dog someday.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

This is cabin #62 in Big Santa Anita Canyon, Angeles National Forest. Owned by Glen Owens since 1963, and hasn't changed much since. This cabin is used one day every week, and is one of the most well-maintained cabins in The Canyon. This is in the largest cluster of cabins, 11 on this side of the creek, 8 on the other side, near old Fern Lodge, and it's about 5 minutes from Sturtevant Falls. Pardon the leaf blower in the video, Glen cleans the neighborhood weekly. The Coleman stove/oven runs on propane packed in on donkeys, as does the old Servel refrigerator. There is no electricity. The crank phone also works and is connected to the party line to Chantry Flat. Running water is piped down from the East Fork where there is a primitive yet effective sand filter.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

you know thats on your ipod while hiking!
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

I feel like I've just been Rick Rolled.
Tim

Post by Tim »

On the really tough routes, Ze likes to rock out to Debbie Gibson :lol:

I can't figure out where this was shot. At first I thought it might be on the Ontario Peak Ridge, but that doesn't look like Baldy in the BG. Where the hell was this? It's driving me nuts!!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

lol.

i'm gonna rock this out on the final 2000' push up Iron.

I know it looks like one shot is around Ontario (b/c of the dead tree at the summit), but overall it is probably around Buckhorn / Waterman, based on the rock. Also, there is definitely a shot of twin Peaks at 3:17. I guess the background is maybe Pleasant View Ridge, or Winston Ridge?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Ahh, got it! They're on that ridge south of ACH and above Buckhorn. The snowless peak in the background looks like Pallet and the snowy ridge must be PVR, with Mt Williamson on the right.

Do you know what the big rock is at 0:32?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

All I want to know is does the blond still look that good? Is it Chynna Phillips?

Nice shots where ever they were taken. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

They beat you to Triplet Zé!!! Or is it the Three Mermaids?

Actually I bet it is along Kratka Ridge near Vista Picnic area (just east of Buckhorn) - I've seen lots of filming done there.
Taco

Post by Taco »

WATERMAN!

Fuck that's an awful song!
simonov

Post by simonov »

No doubt it's all disco and show tunes on your iPods when you're climbing.
Nunc est bibendum
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

O. M. G.

Wow, the fire didn't ruin Waterman - but this did!!!!!

hahaha. OK Ze - how did you find this??
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

LOL man I swear I wasn't looking this up. Someone was posting it somewhere else for another reason and I caught a glimpse and was like, 'wait a second...'.

trust me I'd admit if I had this in my archive. :P

hopefully this song gets stuck in your heads!!!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:LOL man I swear I wasn't looking this up. Someone was posting it somewhere else for another reason and I caught a glimpse and was like, 'wait a second...'.

trust me I'd admit if I had this in my archive. :P

hopefully this song gets stuck in your heads!!!
thanks for the warning, I watched it with no sound :D