New Shots / Big Horn Mine

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Bryant (the guy who made that video) lives in San Diego now, but we did a major mine exploration up in San Gabriel Canyon a few years ago.
Here's a video, it's a bit lengthy, but if you skip past the history it's quite an adventure.

nakagawaallison

Post by nakagawaallison »

Well we made it out. Of course I got stuck babysitting not only my son and friend but 2 clueless girls. Boys had fun. I am tired and dirty so it was a great day
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Nice. Next time follow the masses up the mountain to the ruins of the old Mt. Lowe Railway instead of going into the canyon. Takes about an hour to walk up there.
nakagawaallison

Oh you are a comedian too. ROFL. Did I forget to mention I have RA, Fibromyalgia, and 3 bulging disks in my neck? I have gone half way up that trail with 2 teenage boys in tow. My son spotted the water reserve across the canyon and said "Mom Lost Mines." I seriously curse You Tube because I then had to head down the trail going to the White City Ruins, and then go on the mine adventure. Ever since I took my son to Dawn mine and he could not go in, he is hell bent in going in open mines. I will eventually get to the top to my ruins.
nakagawaallison

Finally got a chance to watch the video. Yeah I am not that crazy (lol). I absolutely loved seeing the color variations in the rocks. My boy can do this when he is an adult. I pass. Thanks for sharing
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Good luck to your son in his future. When he's older he may want to join the same cave exploring group that Hugh Blanchard belonged to. They meet once a month at Cal Tech in Pasadena. They teach basic rock climbing classes free of charge. That's good experience for someone who wants to be a ranger. Here's a link to that group.

https://www.southerncaliforniagrotto.com/
nakagawaallison

Thanks for sharing this information. I showed it to my son and he is interested as am I. Caves are more my thing. I have a list of caves around the world that I have told my son he needs to see (my bucket list sort of). I know I will never get to see them in person so it is the one task I have for him. LOL
I was wondering. Do you know if this group does presentations at school? I"m asking since I finally got my kid into an Environmental Magnet School after 2 years of trying. Since the group is also into cave conservation, I thought it would be good for the school. I know this school does conservation field trips to the beach. There are only a few Environmental Science Magnet Middle Schools within LAUSD. Most science magnet schools are STEM having nothing to do with the environmental studies. I was just curious. I will most likely go and attend a few meetings with my son.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I'm not sure if they do presentations. You should go to one of their meetings and just sit in. You don't have to join. And if you do it's only 20 bucks a year.
Sean

Post by Sean »

How old is your son? I can take him to Carrie if he's not too young and has good scrambling skills.
nakagawaallison

My son is 13. He has great scrambling skills but he lacks common sense when it comes to danger I guess or thinks he can never get hurt. Well let me take that back. He did listen when I said "stop...snake." He literally froze in place until the snake contined on its way. It was a large gopher snake, but at first it was hard for me to tell with it in the bushes. Of course we would not have ended up in the bushes if my boy learned how to navigate my All Trails App (LOL). I do love him but his navigation sucks. He has mild ADHD. He just wants to see the artifacts that are most likely not there anymore. Okay I may have lied a tiny bit and said hermit guy took the Victrola to the museum. Sorry about that hermit.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

That Victrola (frame) is still in there. Weighs a ton, so I doubt anyone will ever steal that. How the guy who stole it from the Echo Mountain House ever got it all the way to that mine is a mystery to me.
nakagawaallison

Just a thought here, but I think when the guy moved into the Carrie Mine there was a pretty good trail back then making it accessable by horse. Of course now it is all but washed away which is probably for the best so that the mine does not get trashed like the others I have visited. I just don't get the graffitti and never will. It does not belong in a mine, on a tree, nor on a rock. Do they think the wildlife stands around it admiring it like a priceless piece of art? As you can see, I have issues with graffitti. Don't get me started on poopy bags. LOL
I guess since it is still there, I will have to go and see which way is best so I don't die. LOL
nakagawaallison

This is my son at Big Horn Mine on Mothers Day. It was what I wanted for a gift and my son was happy to grant my wish. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage