Search for Eugene Jo 6/25/19

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Btw, does anyone else think it was a bit ambitious for a 73-year-old to hike from Three Points to Waterman? That's a fairly difficult hike.
No, I don't think that at all either with respect to Mr. Jo or as it relates to 73 year old hikers generally. Mr. Jo's problem did not appear to be conditioning. It appeared to be navigation. Age is not necessarily determinative. I've seen a lot of older hikers killin' it and a lot youngsters suffering on the exact same hike.

I'm curious as to why you think that.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Btw, does anyone else think it was a bit ambitious for a 73-year-old to hike from Three Points to Waterman? That's a fairly difficult hike.
No, I don't think that at all either with respect to Mr. Jo or as it relates to 73 year old hikers generally. Mr. Jo's problem did not appear to be conditioning. It appeared to be navigation. Age is not necessarily determinative. I've seen a lot of older hikers killin' it and a lot youngsters suffering on the exact same hike.

I'm curious as to why you think that.
I'm aware that there are plenty of older folks who are in great condition. I have some in my family. I agree that age alone isn't a factor. I'm just curious about his heath and experience. I would ask the same question if the hiker was 18. Three Points to Waterman is moderate for folks like us but difficult for those who aren't in good shape and experienced. I'm just wondering what type of hiker he is, because that hike isn't for everybody.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Anthony wrote:I'm just wondering what type of hiker he is, because that hike isn't for everybody.
It's hard to say, because important details were not reported and he has gone silent. It does seem like he was too inexperienced (and dangerously under-supplied) for that hike. But he did go with a group. Why did the group lose him? I don't know. Lots of things can go wrong in the wilderness. Lots of bad group leaders too.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Anthony wrote: I wonder what Jo's track was. Did he accidentally take the Twin Peaks Trail and descend Devil's Canyon from the saddle? Or did he go down one of the chutes from the Three Points Trail?
Given a lack of any futher clarification, I would say its very accurate to presume he took the Twin Peaks trail and started down Devils canyon.
The other aspect was flowing water along the trail. It should not have been a case of trying to find water.
I did find a non-SAR shoe trail circa the 3 pts trail though...lead to a solar powered game camera hehehe.