SR-39 (San Gabriel Canyon Road)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From the Pasadena Star-News:
Two men robbed in local forest
Article Launched: 10/27/2008 11:16:35 PM PDT
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST - Two men were robbed at gunpoint early Sunday while sleeping in their car in the Angeles National Forest, authorities said.

Two male suspects approached the victims' car at 4:20 a.m. Sunday, ordered the men out of their car at gunpoint and told them to walk away from the scene, according to Lt. Roxanna Hart of the sheriff's San Dimas Station.

The robbers took a rifle, pistol, ammunition and hunting license from the car near the 21-mile marker off Highway 39, Hart said.

The suspects were described as men in their early 20s.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks for posting...always thought the occupants in those cars would let loose..thankfully they were not murdered. Got to have some nerve to approach a unknown car at 4:30 in the morning...yeah, think I might curtail those morning hours myself.....

One time I was approached early morning(I still have no idea what time it was)..it was raining very hard as well as super cold....I was sleeping in my truck...it was a ranger(Yellowstone). I had left a container of milk in the truckbed ...thats illegal(Bears related)...oops..all was forgiven...I was scared though, couldnt see anything for the thumping on some part of my window, and the ranger wasnt beaming a flashlight or anything.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ouch... totally not cool. :?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

For the last few days the San Gabriel Valley Tribune has been publishing a Caltrans Public Notice of the availability of the Draft Environmental Document and Announcement of Public Hearing for the SR-39 Reopening Project from 5 miles N of Crystal Lake Campground to the Angeles Crest hwy. I couldn't find the link anywhere to this notice so I will type in the pertinent info:

What's available?

The draft Environmental Assessment/Environmental Report (EA/EIR) is available in downtown LA or at the Azusa City Library located at 729 N Dalton Ave, Azusa.

Where Do You Come In?

Do you have any comments regarding the EA/EIR? Do you disagree with the findings of the studies? Would you care to make any other comments about the project? Please submit any written comments no later than March 11, 2009 to:
Mr. Ronald Kosinski, Deputy District Director
California Department of Transportation
Division of Environmental Planning
100 South Main Street MS 16A
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Caltrans will begin accepting comments on January 26, 2009.

What and When?

A hearing will be held to allow any interested individuals an opportunity to discuss certain design features of the project with Caltrans staff before the final design and alternative is selected. The public hearing will be held on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 from 6:00 pm - 8;30 pm at City of Azusa Senior Center, 740 North Dalton Ave., Azusa, 91702

Additional info can be had from Eduardo Aguliar at 213-897-8492.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

With the current state budget crisis, why is the state even thinking about wasting money on this stretch of road?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mike P wrote:With the current state budget crisis, why is the state even thinking about wasting money on this stretch of road?
BACON!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:For the last few days the San Gabriel Valley Tribune has been publishing a Caltrans Public Notice of the availability of the Draft Environmental Document and Announcement of Public Hearing for the SR-39 Reopening Project from 5 miles N of Crystal Lake Campground to the Angeles Crest hwy. I couldn't find the link anywhere ...
CALIFORNIA STATE ROUTE-39
(SAN GABRIEL CANYON ROAD)
REHABILITATION / REOPENING PROJECT
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Bacon is yes.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Maybe they plan on using those same crews that are working on the lower portion of the highway...at that rate this new project will not be completed in my lifetime.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Supposedly they won't start the major roadbed repairs until some time in 2010. Their plan for this year is to just build retaining walls.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Is that to catch all the Bureaucratic B.S. that rolls downhill - those retaining walls are already overflowing with "Arnie" and companies polices.

Hope it doesn't spill to far off the top, I had enough of their "Cr&^"

:D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

As an engineer who works on many Public Works projects, the State has recently placed a "HOLD" on all state improvement grants. The EIR/CEQA documents were most likely in place or started prior to this "HOLD" and at this stage, the State will finalize the document, after receiving comments, and place this project on hold. I don't think any actual improvements will start for quite some time.

I would like to think different, but I'm not very hopeful.

This is jsut an opinion, and hopefully I am wrong.

~EnFuego
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks for the link, HJ!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

i say keep it closed
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I say open it up and let there be a jihad against taggers and bad folks in the mountains.
Zach

Post by Zach »

TacoDelRio wrote:I say open it up and let there be a jihad against taggers and bad folks in the mountains.
taco- somewhere out there is a massive computer analyzing, sifting and red-flagging your little Arabic quips... just thought you'd like to know your blog is probably in some NSA database with some nerd saying to himself, "wtf?!"
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Zach wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:I say open it up and let there be a jihad against taggers and bad folks in the mountains.
taco- somewhere out there is a massive computer analyzing, sifting and red-flagging your little Arabic quips... just thought you'd like to know your blog is probably in some NSA database with some nerd saying to himself, "wtf?!"
"Taggers" is Arabic? :?

Frankly, I don't think the National Softball Association cares.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

DamOTclese wrote:
I second that motion, and add that a fair trial will immediately follow all such executions.
It's liberal Western notions like that that make us more civilized than the Taliban. :)
Zach

Post by Zach »

HA! :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8) :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

anyone know if hwy 39 is open? caltrans says 'controlled 1 way traffic' or something.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:anyone know if hwy 39 is open? caltrans says 'controlled 1 way traffic' or something.
Its open. They might close the one lane on the short stretch of burn area if they are working, but the wait isnt long for the other cars to come down or up. I was held up for less than 5 mintues....if you go that way, have your camera ready and snap a picture of Islip canyon 8) it will be the colorful one near the end of the burn area.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

AW wrote:
wrote:anyone know if hwy 39 is open? caltrans says 'controlled 1 way traffic' or something.
Its open. They might close the one lane on the short stretch of burn area if they are working, but the wait isnt long for the other cars to come down or up. I was held up for less than 5 mintues....if you go that way, have your camera ready and snap a picture of Islip canyon 8) it will be the colorful one near the end of the burn area.
Anyone know if the Station Fire affected plans to open 39 to 2? Don't imagine it would, but not being able to get up there makes it seem like the whole damn place is gone entirely.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Anyone know how far the highway is REALLY open from down in Azusa? The Cal Trans site is (I think) useless as it says the road is closed from 6.5 miles south of Coldbrook, but I've read on here that its actually opened farther.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, they're smoking crack. It's open to about 1/2 mile south of Coldbrook. The trailhead for Smith Mountain/Upper Bear Creek is at the gate.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hwy 39 is open to point "A" shown on this map.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Leave it to Hikin "Acme-fu" Jim. :lol:
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Hwy 39 is open to point "A" shown on this map.

HJ
You guys are so frickin' awesome.

Looks like they've opened up several miles that have been closed for a long time.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

How would you guys rate the Smith Mtn. trailhead parking area as far as safety is concerned (break-ins, theft, etc.)as compared to the West Fork or Heaton Flat? Say on a Sunday morning between 6 and 10'ish in the morning.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've only been up to that trailhead once since they've re-opened it. Everything was nice and tidy on July 3, but there were some guys drinking in one of the pull outs near by. Hard to say. It's so close to the party crowd at W. Fork that inevitably it'll spill over, although it seemed better than W. Fork when I went there.

The USFS needs to assign two LE rangers full time to the W Fork.

HJ