Vincent Gap Trail (Mt. Baden-Powell)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

can't say about the actual snow conditions, but the snowpack itself I hear is still pretty solid for about 70% of the trail.
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

This is true. Messed around up there yesterday morning. Had the crampons on early, only went about 1/2 way up because as it warmed up I started to posthole like crazy and I wasn't in the mood for that.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

Good to know. Mtnfox, what time did you leave the trailhead? I too, am not really in the mood for a posthole fiesta.
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

Sorry if this post is too late - just got back on here today. I didn't start hiking until about 9:00 AM so if you get an earlier start you might not run into the same degree of issues.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

Thanks. Trip got postponed till next weekend at least, so we'll keep that in mind. We usually like to try and get an early start, so hopefully we can outrun El Postholio. Do you think snowshoes would be applicable?
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

At one point it started to seem like snowshoes would be a good idea, but it is definitely melting fast now so it could change a lot by next week. I bailed off the trail pretty early and headed straight up the mountain, but I did pass a some hikers on my way down that had made it pretty far without crampons or snowshoes by staying on the south-westerly side of the mountain and cutting up to the next switchback whenever the trail disappeared into the snow.
James

Post by James »

Anyone going up BP this weekend? Would like to go a direct route over firm snow (early) if those conditions still exist.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

After many weeks postponement, Hiking Buddy and I finally made it out to BP. Trail was completely clear up until about the 2 mile marker. From there it's mixed for another 1/2 mile or so with intermittent patches of snow. We cramponed up here, though could have either earlier or later depending on your personal preference. We got an early start, 5:30 or so, so the snow was iced over and slick, but soon slushed out once the sun came up. At about 2/3 up, snow coverage was complete. Fairly firm pack, no problems with El Postholio. Once we reached the ridge, took off the 'pons and blazed to the summit. Descent was without any unusual incidents. Slightly slushed out snow made plunge stepping a bit sketchy, but nothing major. Lots of PCTers lunching at the parking lot when we returned who would have quite a climb in front of them since I'm sure that not many had crampons. My heart went out to them as I can't say that I'd want to climb that trail without some sort of traction device, although judging by all of the tracks it appeared as if many had. Slow going, one would imagine.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Greetings!

I heard there was a fire in the Big Pines area a few days ago.

What are the conditions around Baden Powell area? Are there any road closures or this fire fully contained?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Al.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I was up at Grassy Hollow with my kids on Saturday, the road was open heading to Baden Powell from what I saw. It was closed heading down to Jackson lake area.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

yobtaf wrote:I was up at Grassy Hollow with my kids on Saturday, the road was open heading to Baden Powell from what I saw. It was closed heading down to Jackson lake area.
Good to know. I am thinking doing the same and taking wife and kids for a morning stroll.

Thanks for the info, mate.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Has anyone been up to Baden Powell recently? If so, how are the conditions? Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yep, been to within a mile of it! :-) ACH is closed about a mile east of Vincent Gap, so you can't access the trailhead by car. It would be easy enough to ski in and skin back to you car.

It looks great, though. Early-full conditions, so there should be 2-3ft of unconsolidated snow, with the Northeast Face and other steep aspects probably in mixed conditions with some consolidated snow, a fair amount of water ice down low, and powder in the center of the gullies.

Can't wait to get up there.
taktical

Post by taktical »

Thanks for the 411.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

I heard it was closed at Big Pines today, but will reopen to at least Grassy Hollow by the weekend, if not to Vincent Gap.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Is there a reliable website to check on the status of ACH? I'm hoping to head up the weekend of the 15th (weather permitting), hit BP, Throop, Hawkins, Islip, and spend a night at Little Jimmy Camp.

So far, it doesn't look like any big storms are headed in, is it safe to assume I'll be able to park at Vincent Gap?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Cool, thanks
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I hope they're accurate! :lol:
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

As of this morning, Hwy 2 has been re-opened to Vincent Gap on the Wrightwood side.
Logan

Post by Logan »

If anyone has been up Baden Powell lately I would like to know the snow conditions. Can you make it to the top without crampons or snowshoes.

Thanks
Logan
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Piggyback - is there still snow down to Vincent Gap, or has that all melted?
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

I was up after the last storm two weekends ago. Given the weather last week, that's almost as good as ancient history, but I figure an old report is better than none. We headed up early Saturday 4/9. Road from the 138 was clear all the way to the parking lot, which had about 6" of snow covering it. Snow all the way up the mountain, but by the time we were headed down, things were starting to slush out and what was once pristine snow was already starting to show dirt and rock. By the time we were back to the car, the lot was almost entirely melted. We took snowshoes and crampons not knowing what conditions would be like, but the snowshoes stayed stowed the entire time. Crampons got a workout the entire way, though I tend to err on the side of caution. Again, that was one warm week and a half ago. My guess is that most of the snow on the lower 2/3 of the mountain has melted by now, and the rest is on it's way out. Seems to me that one could probably make the top "au natural" but that's only a guess based on speculation based on whim. YMMV. If I were heading up again, I'd definitely leave the snowshoes at home but pack the crampons just in case.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Awesome! Thanks muchly.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

UPDATE: From my vantage point in Palmdale, there is still snow visible on most of the mountain. What what condition it's in and how much I can't say, but there's still white stuff up there. Happy hiking.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

According to a PCT section hiker I know who did it this past week.

a little more than half of the mtn is still covered in 1-3 ft+. The bottom 1.5 miles is patchy, then it's all snowcover the rest of the way up, with some melted off patches near the exposed areas around the summit.

That trail is usually not clear of snow to the casual hiker until mid May, sometimes later.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I am going up there this Sunday, hopefully it wont be too bad, My wife is going and she is not as crazy as me.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

news reported yesterday that after the recent snow, ( sun,monday and today), that an adult hiker went over the edge on baden powell ridge sunday morning.
no news yet, search -rescue is ongoing. no sign of PCT hiker.

I would suggest crampons and ice axe this week end, just to be safe.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

eek, thanks didnt know
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

weather is looking better now.