Long free hanging rappels -locally-

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Augie wrote:Thanks for that analysis Matt. Lots of things to think about for a drop like you're planning. As far as full body harness, would it work to use your regular waist harness and a make-shift webbing chest harness or do you need something more elaborate?
Since I'm a real gearhead I have a singing rock full body harness, that fits me :D
Augie wrote:Sounds like you need tremendous arm strength to pull up for slowing with your device. Also sounds very iffy if adding friction during this long of a rappel would be "nearly impossible." This alone would make me rethink.
I can add some friction by making a z rig to the biner on my leg loop and back up to the tie off bar, your kinda committed to this rig for the duration, or at least that's my experience in the past.

I can in a pinch add friction by putting the rope around my back, but that's a last ditch effort . Don't wanna get there
Augie wrote:What other options are there for a rap device besides your bar rack?
endless, most people experienced in these types of raps recommend a rack though, one huge advantage is it doesn't twist the rope.

I have many, many, many different rappel devices to choose from except a self-braking variety which to my knowledge wouldn't work with my 8.5mm rope anyway

Just looking at various web resources for J-Bar racks they are not designed for 8.5 mm ropes. NFPA rack that I have I can't find any spec's on it but I would be surprised to see specializations like 10-13mm dia ropes

I have a 350ft 11mm rope I've used like 5 times, canyoneeing with 11mm rope S&$ks

So that may well be part of the problem

Augie wrote:What do some of the gurus like Rich Carlson and Sonny Lawrence say about these issues?
I have not consulted them
Augie

Post by Augie »

Matt,

Speaking of Rich, would his Totem be a good candidate for a descending device on this type of rap?