Articles on water filtering -- essential or unnecessary?

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Any good 411 for me on where to camp and all. I'm thinking of going up there over Labor Day, camping at one of the lakes
Jim, I didn't camp there but if I was going to the place on Simonovs map is great. Between the trail and the long lake.
Just look up, LOOK UP!
Lots of horses and people visit this area though. Would you filter your water?
simonov

Post by simonov »

FIGHT ON wrote:Lots of horses and people visit this area though. Would you filter your water?
I did, and I always assumed it was a good idea to filter lake (standing) water, but that article referenced in the other thread suggests lake water is even cleaner than stream water because the nasty stuff falls to the bottom.

Sure tasted good, though.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Lots of horses and people visit this area though. Would you filter your water?
I did, and I always assumed it was a good idea to filter lake (standing) water, but that article referenced in the other thread suggests lake water is even cleaner than stream water because the nasty stuff falls to the bottom.

Sure tasted good, though.
wonder if gairda and viriuss sink?
Simonov, Wasn't that area soooooooooooo cool?
Man it's really where you camped. Nice isn't it! :D
Too bad your camera messed up.
simonov

Post by simonov »

FIGHT ON wrote: wonder if gairda and viriuss sink?
Simonov, Wasn't that area soooooooooooo cool?
Man it's really where you camped. Nice isn't it! :D
Too bad your camera messed up.
It was nice. Good weather, I slept outside as usual, watched the meteor showers from inside my sleeping bag.

I'm not sure if non-members can see these, but here are some photos from the hike: http://hiking.meetup.com/217/photos/416255/5144394/
Nunc est bibendum
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

simonov wrote:I did, and I always assumed it was a good idea to filter lake (standing) water, but that article referenced in the other thread suggests lake water is even cleaner than stream water because the nasty stuff falls to the bottom.
Water within a few inches of a calm lake surface is pretty sterile because the uv radiation in sunlight penetrates that far.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
simonov wrote:I did, and I always assumed it was a good idea to filter lake (standing) water, but that article referenced in the other thread suggests lake water is even cleaner than stream water because the nasty stuff falls to the bottom.
Water within a few inches of a calm lake surface is pretty sterile because the uv radiation in sunlight penetrates that far.
Do you use a filter then?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:Do you use a filter then?
I rarely use a filter. I look for clean water. For times when I have doubts about the water, I have switched to a Steri-Pen, which I have used only a couple of times.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Do you use a filter then?
I rarely use a filter. I look for clean water. For times when I have doubts about the water, I have switched to a Steri-Pen, which I have used only a couple of times.

Clean water vs. clean water that has the crap in it I can not tell the difference. Even on a lake I wouldn't know. Seems like a choppy lake would have more potential than a still one if it is supposed to be almost sterile right near the top. How do you determine clean water. obviously dirty water looks dirty and nobody would drink that unless they were gonna die.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Hey, Simonov, where did you stay in the Cottonwood area? Any good 411 for me on where to camp and all. I'm thinking of going up there over Labor Day, camping at one of the lakes, and then going up the unmaintained trail up Army Pass.
To veer off topic for a moment, that's just what we did. Hiked in to Cottonwood Lakes, then up Army Pass to Mt Langely, then back out again after another night at Cottonwood Lakes. Elevations were kind of wild. It was as if we started at the top of Mt Baldy (Horseshoe Meadows is at 10,000 feet) and continued up. We camped at 11,000 feet, Army Pass is at 12,000 feet (first time I had ever been that high, I think), and My Langley is just over 14,000 feet.

The world above 11,000 feet is more barren and desolate than any part of the California desert. All I saw were these tiny plants that clung to the ground and dozens of marmots. Those marmots looked big and fat and I can't imagine what they are living on. I took a lot of photos with my film camera, but something was wrong with the light meter and none of them came out.

We stayed on this little wooded rise between Lake 3 and 4 (on the tops; some maps, including, I think, Tom Harrison, mis-number the lakes, and I might have them wrong, I'm going from memory). Our camping spot was A on this map, but there's a nice spot up by B, closer to the waterfall.

Army Pass is a pretty good trail, considering it's unmaintained and doesn't appear on the maps. On the other hand, we found the ducks very useful in finding our way up Langley. I'm glad Halhiker wasn't up there knocking them down.
Simonov, thanks for the 411. That pretty much squares with what others have told me. Unfortunately, my two compadres are now backing out due to "family commitments." :evil:
One of them one in particular was pushing for a 3 day Sierra trip. Well, maybe next season.

Maybe we'll do a single night in the San Jacintos, God (and permit) willing.