Twin Peaks - Hard Routes

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Update, looking for any partners who want to participate in trad climbing and basically just exploring the southern half of Twin Peaks.

I'd also like to visit Triplet Rocks.

Looking for about 3 days out there, mostly devoted to travel on foot to and from the base of the work/fun.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

TDR,

still interested? whats your guess as to the best time to this...temps overnight right now about 40 degrees assuming 80 degrees here during the day in the city?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Something like that.

I'm good to go theoretically anytime, so long as I can set a date, say, 3 weeks to a month in advance, in order tog et shifts covered and whatnot.

At the moment, I'm car-less, so I'm a bit screwed on that. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hey. on JMs Trip Report "Strawberry Peak via Colby Canyon", Is that Twin Peaks on the left of that pic?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That it is!

BTW, if anyone has or knows someone who has a Subaru Impreza 5-door/wagon for sale for less than $5,000, I be needin' transportatin'!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Schedule is for Mon May 22nd through Wed May25th, at a min I got transport to and from for you.

Day1 plan is to hike to Triplet(hopefully a tad beyond on Triplet ridge as well)
Day2 plan is to hike back out to East Twin in ze morning
Day3 up in the air.....I am thinking of the possibility of leaving the area at day2 and then doing part of Ross Mtn from Heaton.

anyways, I am open to modify...just not day1 and the first part of day2....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm working at a Toyota Offroad Race on the 24th, so I am a no-go on that day.

My plan is actually to try and pick the most direct and technical route up to the summit of East Twin, from just south of it. I'd like to do both ways, but the hike would be a good way to check the area out for the climb, personally.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Wed the 24th, not 25th, eeks....

Well just let me know.....I have no problemo ending the 23rd. I am pretty much useless when it comes to rock climbing of any significant height, I know you were looking for a partner for technicals, but you mentioned Triplet also, where the only optional technical is a short tyrolean traverse or two. I agree with you that you would perhaps get a better handle on what you want to accomplish on the south side though.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yep, so either one sounds good, really. A Tyrolean should be pretty easy to set up. It would be faster and lighter to go along the ridgeline, so it could be done a bit "quicker", overall, though not affecting time in the area.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Update: You would think I know how to look at a calender...

the dates I was thinking of is starting Mon May 19th....I must have been on the June calender initially...let me know if that still fits your calender or if you cant change the dates and took Thurs the 22nd &Friday the 23rd off.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I can find out in a week. :(

I really wanna do this, don't get me wrong, just that I want to plan it for, say, late June or something. I need to get a date out way ahead, and this trip will be 3 days, IMHO, to be a good trip. One day in from West Fork, up Bear Creek, setup camp and do all that jazz. 2nd day, go light, do the deed, get back. More than likely a full day of covering terrain. Day three, clean, leave.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

No problem....I hope to get to Triplet more than once. I need this trip to know the easy way whether I can get to Triplet via Triplet creek. I went back during the last trip and found the creek much easier than before.

Of interest also is pk 3000+ Big Mermaid. There is a route that leaves Bear Creek nicely before the WF bear creek and perhaps can gain the ridge to this peak. I say perhaps, as it is one of the steepest routes around and I wasnt sure if its simply is too much.....looking at about 1300 ft in less than 1/2 a mile...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was also interested in Big and Little Mermaid peaks. I would personally go for those post-Twin Peaks primary hike/climb. That said, i'm up for day trips rather flexibly, and don't typically care where to, so one of those would be a great daytrip.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Looking to do this around mid-July. It'll be a bit hot, but that's just the way it is. Climbing in Joshua Tree when it was 120 degrees sucked, but once can still hold on when it's not a billion degrees outside. 8)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Scaling my expectations/plans back to only go to Triplet. Looks like Triplet jr peak is something only to be done casually from the bottom....we'll see....anyways I may try for the pk3300BMermaid first in a daytrip before trying for Triplet jr. Just need more info on exactly how Triplet Jr is best done.

Day 2 I am going back and then walking to the PCT to Copter Ridge pk.
Day 3 I should be back at Heaton Flats.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That'll be interesting (Copter to Heaton). Copter has some nice views.

I have these next three days off. I ight go try this in a lightweight fashion and whatnot, 2 days or so. The crux is PARKING! I don't want my car banged up again.

Also have May 29-31 off.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

>That'll be interesting (Copter to Heaton). Copter has some nice views.

It will be a relief for me to put 2 feet on level ground for sure...drop in being a steep 2000ft...but actually once I get down I'll be close to a previously done hike....that is if Im not animal food from hanging out overnight on Copter ridge.

>I have these next three days off. I ight go try this in a lightweight fashion and whatnot, 2 days or so. The crux is PARKING! I don't want my car banged up again.

You beating me to Triplet :D ? Just joking, looking forward to the trip report if you get out to the area.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Triplet sounds cool... vandalism of my car does not. :(
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I am heading up in a little bit. This isn't too simple looking on Google Earth, and from photos... plan is literally to "wing it" and go where it looks good. Blah.

Time to take the proverbial dive.

I hope to be back tonight. I do NOT plan on doing this as a two-day deal. :lol:

Holy crap. :shock:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

It's still there.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Unlike my money. :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

FIGHT ON wrote:It's still there.
yup, its still there, but desperation is setting in???

Thread is one year old, but I plan to give it my final chance once temps cool some....thought I would see if there was a way to see the brush density..high/untravelable is purple...while low brush density is white..black being no vegetation... :D..frustrating because this will be easy coming down.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The race is on...