Bobcat Fire in West Fork

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I love the radio guys. Apparently the firefighters found a grow house on the 30000 block of Longview Road and called in the deputies. Since there are only three houses on that block, which one do you think it is? My guess is the immaculate one without a bunch of crap in the yard.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Flared up again a few hours ago on the N/NE side of Wilson and now it's making a run up towards Redbox.
latest_full.jpg
walker

Post by walker »

Flared up again a few hours ago on the N/NE side of Wilson and now it's making a run up towards Redbox.
On the timelapse link, you can see the flareup start around 12:30 and then it promptly jumps to the north side of the canyon and begins to march east into the shortcut canyon, west fork campground area.

http://c1.hpwren.ucsd.edu/archive/wilson-n-mobo-c/large/20200920/MP4/Q5.mp4

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Not sure if these pics have been shared yet. This guy has posted a lot of shots from ACH corridor.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.merager
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ze Hiker wrote: "Sir, this is a Wendy's"
Basically......not to worry there will be new oaks will grow and people can still wear their masks for hiking.
Can you imagine the press conference?
Q: When will the trail open up?
A: Well...you know, this Bobcat fire...
Q: I thought the Fish fire was the one that burnt it?
A: Oh...well, hey, we are working on the Sayre fire. Hey, good news...its the San Gabriel monument!
Q: And also the bullet train?
A: Yeah, and did I mention the environmental justice work? We got the new improved East Fork plan right at the top. You are going to walk on that glass walkway of the Solis & Chu Center and see the permanent forest..its going to be amazing!
Q: So about that South Fork trail....
A; Where? I still have taken the heli ride yet....so I havent see the mountains yet.
walker

Post by walker »

Looks like the fire may be making its way up Rush Creek now approaching the Observatory from the north:

Bobcat910.jpg

I just checked last night's footage and it looks like they set a backfire yesterday evening at the doorstep of the Observatory in the vicinity of the Rim Trail. Hopefully that will protect things on that side.
walker

Post by walker »

In current images, you can see a ridge in front of the flames so it appears the heart of the atomic blast is in shortcut canyon... I think.
La Chiva

Post by La Chiva »

Anthony wrote: Not sure if these pics have been shared yet. This guy has posted a lot of shots from ACH corridor.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.merager

Also, your link goes to the guy's personal page instead of the pics that you're thinking of. Try this link (you have to scroll down to it). https://www.facebook.com/groups/134561703859272/

[ADMIN edit: direct permalink to FB post.]
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for linking these, they look great! Not the hellscape we all feared. Yes!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

AW~ wrote: Image
ANF pic with no description other than mentioning Buckhorn and Sawpit....someone chime in if they know the location, but I think this is Kratka ridge from Hwy39
Pretty sure you're right. I don't have any photos of Kratka from the 39. But I found Ca Hiker's YT video from Jarvi Memorial Vista. At 2:41 he gets this view from the end of the trail.

Screenshot_2020-09-21-08-17-04~2.png

Those two large rock formations seem to match the ones in the ANF pic. (A smaller third one makes a distinctive triangle shape.) Close analysis suggests the ANF pic was taken from a similar elevation and distance but further to the south, which could explain the different appearances of the rock shapes.

There's also this ANF pic that shows some of the retaining/guard wall from that general location. Perhaps someone recognizes the wall. Is it the sort used along the 39?

Screenshot_2020-09-12-07-11-29~2.png
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote: There's also this ANF pic that shows some of the retaining/guard wall from that general location. Perhaps someone recognizes the wall. Is it the sort used along the 39?

Screenshot_2020-09-12-07-11-29~2.png
I recall seeing walls like that on the 39, just west of the south gate.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Chris Kasten blogged about Big Santa Anita Canyon and has some overview photos. It looks like many of the trees along the canyon bottom survived. So there's some hope for the cabins. I guess the FS still hasn't gone in there though.

canyon-bottom.jpg

(Photo from anonymous firefighter at Chantry Flat.)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Valley Forge area now I think.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Maybe even Barley Flats (what's left of it!).
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

Nearly the entire Silver Moccasin Trail has burned. Glad I managed to thruhike it a couple years ago.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Here is the official YouTube channel for the Bobcat Fire. They'll be livestreaming the public meeting tonight at 6:30pm.

The west front is reburning Station Fire territory, threatening Colby Camp. The east front is heading into higher country, near Sheep Mountain Wilderness.

Screenshot_2020-09-21-14-57-06~2.png
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Seems to be flaring up nearly every day now. Fire is within reach of Red Box if the winds allow it.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

It's also threatening Wilson again from the north.

1600731230.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-21-16-07-13.png
dima

Post by dima »

Is anybody getting phone warnings about evacuating Camp Colby? I guess this thing is headed that way.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

dima wrote: Is anybody getting phone warnings about evacuating Camp Colby? I guess this thing is headed that way.
I got one last night saying it was headed toward Pacifico.
I know, not helpful. But it's the only one I have received about this or any nearby fire.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
walker

Post by walker »

Looking a little bit close for comfort:
Bobcat921.jpg
Bobcat920.jpg
walker

Post by walker »

Seems to have come up both Rush Creek and Rattlesnake Trail and is now surrounding communications facilities.

I'm starting to wonder if Camp Hi-Hill/Opid's Camp will survive this one.
walker

Post by walker »

If this doesn't just sum up the Los Angeles apocalypse genre, I don't know what does:

The sun sets over the sparkling city lights and burning embers under a moonlit sky...
Bobcat922.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JeffH wrote:
dima wrote: Is anybody getting phone warnings about evacuating Camp Colby? I guess this thing is headed that way.
I got one last night saying it was headed toward Pacifico.
I know, not helpful. But it's the only one I have received about this or any nearby fire.
I received the Pacifico one last night and the Colby one tonight. My wife got the colby one much earlier today.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

This time there is no helis...interesting its still considered safe...that they have a way to escape if it comes to that. I dont see any trap but they arent for sure getting smoked out. Figure it would be hard to see in some parts.
Perhpas they are at west of the comm towers...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

walker wrote: Seems to have come up both Rush Creek and Rattlesnake Trail and is now surrounding communications facilities.
Going old school on us. Makes me curious as to when they changed the name from Rattlesnake Trail to Kenyon Devore Trail.
walker

Post by walker »

Makes me curious as to when they changed the name from Rattlesnake Trail to Kenyon Devore Trail.
I think it was in the late '90s after the trail's namesake had passed away?

Nice profile of the gentleman for whom the trail was renamed while he was still among the living:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

And a nice obit by John Robinson here:

https://thehssc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... r-1995.pdf

I had somehow forgotten the Valley Forge Lodge/Devore family connection so I guess Kenyon really did start out life in the woods and never really left them behind.

Not sure why rattlesnake has stuck in my head...
Gene
Old Dam Man

Post by Gene »

walker wrote:
Makes me curious as to when they changed the name from Rattlesnake Trail to Kenyon Devore Trail.
I think it was in the late '90s after the trail's namesake had passed away?

Nice profile of the gentleman for whom the trail was renamed while he was still among the living:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

And a nice obit by John Robinson here:

https://thehssc.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... r-1995.pdf

I had somehow forgotten the Valley Forge Lodge/Devore family connection so I guess Kenyon really did start out life in the woods and never really left them behind.

Not sure why rattlesnake has stuck in my head...
I had the pleasure of working with Kenyon Devore from about 1970 until he retired from the LA County Flood Control, a finer fellow you will not find. He was the elder statesman of San Gabriel Canyon. He lived at the San Gabriel Dam upper camp until he retired. I would take care of some maintenance and repairs for him at the East Fork and North Fork at their respective gaging stations.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

walker wrote: If this doesn't just sum up the Los Angeles apocalypse genre, I don't know what does:

The sun sets over the sparkling city lights and burning embers under a moonlit sky...Bobcat922.jpg
Are these intentional burns or part of the actual bobcat reaching the top?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I know you were joking, Zoe, just my own embarrassment at my behavior is all. No offense taken, I still have fond memories of our times. I have my own judgement of my behavior. Anywho!

Anyone know of closure status at the moment? Is that smaller leg burning off 39 near the upper reservoir?