South Mt. Hawkins Loop Hike: 5 May 2012

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice hike Mr. P and thanks for the trail condition updates.

That portion of the ridge trail through that 'meadow' area was also non-existent when I went through there two years ago. Tons of ribbons tied to various downed trees and bushes were of no help. Just pick a path of least resistance and stay as near to the ridge as is reasonable.

edit to add: pic of the great views available from the S. Mount Hawkins Loo...

AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: edit to add: pic of the great views available from the S. Mount Hawkins Loo...
LOL...the views are just 5 mins or less down the hill from the true summit....thats why its perfectly safe for non-peak baggers.

The trailbuilders put everyone to sleep with their well designed trails and so when you go off trail around there its like you think you got lost....but it ends up being just a tiny adventure. Believe me, any notion of getting too far downhill into Iron Fork is a myth. Its only about a couple hundred feet down before it gets steep.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

AW wrote: LOL...the views are just 5 mins or less down the hill from the true summit....thats why its perfectly safe for non-peak baggers.

The trailbuilders put everyone to sleep with their well designed trails and so when you go off trail around there its like you think you got lost....but it ends up being just a tiny adventure. Believe me, any notion of getting too far downhill into Iron Fork is a myth. Its only about a couple hundred feet down before it gets steep.
You're right! Even if you get off the trail you really can't get lost. Just stay on the ridge.
It gets scary steep into Iron Fork.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeUp wrote: edit to add: pic of the great views available from the S. Mount Hawkins Loo...

Face was pixelated to protect the innocent. We were going to prop up the door to give him some privacy.