General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

West Baldy FTW. Fewer people, end of more cool routes, nice shelter/trees.

Etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Rumpled wrote:How come West baldy at 9988 didn't make the list? Is it just a secondary peak or something?
Yeah, I noticed that. And why isn't E SB Peak (10,691) on the list? It's higher than SB Peak (by about 20').

He lists "wannabe" peaks like Miller and Alto Diablo, but he doesn't list West Baldy. What gives?
OK, here's what he's done:
1. SB E Peak is now listed as a peak.
2. Miller is no longer listed as a peak. It is now a "sub-peak".
3. Alto Diablo is no longer listed as a peak. It is now a "sub-peak".

He did not upgrade West Baldy to a peak, but I asked him to consider it. We'll see...
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

West baldy isnt really a summit or peak....more likea point of interest......
it is more quiet and peaceful than baldy tho
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's enough of a peak. You don't typically see the top of Baldy from the city, but West Baldy is right there. Better views from it as well.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

oh well. every thing around here is a no go and i aint driving south or east for squat..........Ventura it is
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Below may answer some of your questions. They are 15 different reasons that Sierra Club once made it to SoCal 100 but later delisted. (==> is my comment.) They are not consitant.

below 5000'

condor sanctuary

drive-up of little value
==> Mt Wilson has a significant value, sure Einstein visited.

hard to find?
==> Time before maps and GPS?

Indian property

long drive-up
==> Local mountains only?

mining operations

minor bump
==> Mt Harwood must be a major bump.

overdeveloped
==> Thunder Mtn still has a room for development.

private property

shooting area

shooting area & heavy brush

shooting range

too difficult
==> Iron Mtn #1 is not the most difficult

too easy
==> That's what SAR hears all the time
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

was thinking of heading up around baldy tomorrow to hike, until the fires came. now thinking of heading over around San Gorgonio. it seems the air quality around baldy isn't too bad. anyone have an idea of how it is around Gorgonio?
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Both Baldy and SanG are rated moderate, but Baldy has slightly better air quality.

http://www2.aqmd.gov/webappl/gisaqi2/VEMap3D.aspx
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Checking out AQMD more because I felt strange about moderate rating. Now the site has Smoke Advisory and says Unhealty about San Gabriel area.

ftp://ftp.aqmd.gov/pub/globalist/Advisory.pdf

San Gorgonio has no Smoke Advisory.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

interesting stuff. thanks a lot
tarol

Post by tarol »

There's a fire near Oak Glen that's sending smoke up towards San Gorgonio Peak - so air quality today was poor, probably won't be too great tomorrow either
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Current Conditions: Generally burnt and black. :cry:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Current Conditions: Generally burnt and black. :cry:
Only West of Baldy should be report that way, the rest should be reported as "Fuel" for future fires :oops: :shock: :shock: :evil:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Current Conditions: Bring a hat! There's not much shade in the western half of the San Gabriels. :cry:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Sometimes wind direction is listed as coming FROM somewhere, and other times going TO somewhere. How do you know the difference? For example, on my Suby's weather radio, they will say "winds out of the southwest"..which means they are blowing northeast...and sometimes on a forecast they'll say "southwest winds" which means just that.

Still other times I just see "Winds 5-10mph SSE"

Can't tell which way the wind is blowing...literally.
kgw

Post by kgw »

CM, in my experience, "Winds 5-10mph SSE," is like your "southwest winds" example. Southxsoutheast winds, in other words.
tarol

Post by tarol »

I agree, from the SSE

Here's another one, more puzzling - when wind is listed as degrees, as on RAWS station sites. Anyone know how to figure out wind direction from degrees? Here's an example:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?CNS
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

10-25-2009
Just did baldy and west baldy via RR. Not hot at all. Clear Skies. but WINDY WINDY WINDY.
Winter is here :roll:

hoped to rendezvous with delrio squad but no sign of them
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

We reached the summit of Baldy at 2:02.593 AM. You were too slow. :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ran 10.5 miles yesterday in the rain. Went up a ridge with the wind blowing the clouds along it. Super awesome. The cold is such a positive motivator.

Anywho, looks like this Tuesday-Wednesday weather window will shut on schedule. I know this because I am a super weather science master, with decades of training.

Should be clearing up on Monday. Consolidated by... I'm guessing (poorly)... Thursday? At least a bit. Two layers. How dry was this last snowfall? The next one is supposed to have a higher water content, I've heard.

Anyone been up around Baldy lately?
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I went up icehouse yesterday moring around 5 am. Was nice and icy until past cedar glen trail split and I started holing up to my knees, then waist in bad spots. I promptly turned around, waiting till next week!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Excellent! Was it pretty light, or wet snow?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

TacoDelRio wrote:Ran 10.5 miles yesterday in the rain. Went up a ridge with the wind blowing the clouds along it. Super awesome. The cold is such a positive motivator.

Anywho, looks like this Tuesday-Wednesday weather window will shut on schedule. I know this because I am a super weather science master, with decades of training.

Should be clearing up on Monday. Consolidated by... I'm guessing (poorly)... Thursday? At least a bit. Two layers. How dry was this last snowfall? The next one is supposed to have a higher water content, I've heard.

thanks KMartinLite
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Ran 10.5 miles yesterday in the rain. Went up a ridge with the wind blowing the clouds along it. Super awesome. The cold is such a positive motivator.

thanks KMartinLite
:wink:
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Wasnt wet at all, I had no issues with it stickin to my crampons. Wasnt half bad hiking just tired of holing!

Though my plans of waiting got cancelled and Im going up tomorrow!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool beans. Thanks for the info! Hope you have fun out there.
mve

Post by mve »

Is anyone going to attempt Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail on Sunday? What do you guys think? Or is it too early for crampons/axe and too dangerous for bare boots/poles?

Thank you.
simonov

Post by simonov »

mve wrote:Is anyone going to attempt Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail on Sunday? What do you guys think? Or is it too early for crampons/axe and too dangerous for bare boots/poles?
Some guys are talking about meeting tomorrow at 2:00pm:

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=2252
Nunc est bibendum
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I went up Baldy today and will be doing it again tomorrow. As of about 11 AM nobody had attempted to go past the Ski hut, and I did. Right after the stream crossing I holed up to my thigh so I said forget it.

Snow level is also really high, but supposed to drop to like 6000 feet tonight. It was verrrry slushy, no need for crampons but maybe tomorrow they'll be needed. Just careful stepping.
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks guys -- we decided to hold off another week or two until the snow packs down.