Appalachians

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

did anyone of you guys grow up in the Appalachians? or know a lot about them? were anyone of you guys Moonshiners way back when?

im doing a big Sociology assignment in school about the Appalachian Culture.

i want to go on a hike or something. need to do some field research...

thanks-
Bill

Post by Bill »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:did anyone of you guys grow up in the Appalachians? or know a lot about them? were anyone of you guys Moonshiners way back when?

im doing a big Sociology assignment in school about the Appalachian Culture.

i want to go on a hike or something. need to do some field research...

thanks-
I think I here banjo music. :shock:
Sorry, could'nt resist. :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

My brother lives in Maryland, on the West Virginia border. Beautiful country. I have to admit, though, the folks there don't tend to dispel any stereotypes....
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Bill wrote:I think I here banjo music. :shock:
Hat tip to cougarmagic...
http://www.cougarmagic.com/2008/08/ever ... eling.html

:D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Cougarmagic, nice blog.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Rent the movie "Thunder Road"

I grew up in Tennessee. I don't know if anyone remembers, but maybe 30 years ago there was a big run up in the price of sugar. Restaurants took it off the table because everyone was taking it home. The high price of sugar killed what little was left of the moonshine business. If moonshine costs as much as Jack Daniels, guess what people are going to buy.

I have heard that the Appalachians were originally settled by Scottish immigrants. That would be a good point to research.

Good luck!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

RichardK wrote:
I grew up in Tennessee. I don't know if anyone remembers, but maybe 30 years ago there was a big run up in the price of sugar. Restaurants took it off the table because everyone was taking it home. The high price of sugar killed what little was left of the moonshine business. If moonshine costs as much as Jack Daniels, guess what people are going to buy.
my teacher says i have to meet up with talk about the culture with someone during my 'field research'. and since you grew up in tennesse, would you want to go on a hike with me (a bright 17 year old kid that loves the MTNS) to BigHorn Mine or something within the next couple weeks?

bighorn mine would be a good place because it is a mine (tho not a coal mine) and those are abundant in appalachia and have a lot to do with the culture and sociology of the place, since most family incomes came from that business.

thanks <3
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Dudley - I grew up in Nashville which is definitely not Appalachian. It's just redneck. So, I don't know how much help I can be on the culture. You really need someone much more to the east like Johnson City or Kingsport for Tennessee. Better yet is there anyone from West Virginia?