Mt Williamson & Pleasant View Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures. Too bad about the other hiker (and the ranger! - at least you saw one :D I'm beginning to think they don't exist). As you obviously know, that's one of the issues/difficulties that can come with the territory of "organizing" a hike. Too bad she didn't leave you a note on your windshield.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Should a done the loop. :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Joseph:

Cool hike, bro, and, dude, you scored. Clear views like that are not all that common. I just love that kind of stuff -- a long ramble in the high country. Like I say, the stretch of the San Gabs from Three Points to Baden Powell is my favorite.

Bummer about the one hiker. It's always an awkward situation when a group has to split up. I think it's BS that the only way to handle it is to stay with the person. You did some "due diligence" by giving her a walkie talkie. She for sure screwed up by going home without leaving a note.

I guess for next time, you know to tell them to either be there or leave a note.

That ranger was pretty crappy. OK, fine maybe I should have stayed with her. Now enough recriminations; I've got to find this person.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON wrote: Should a done the loop. :?
Are you advocating illegally entering a trail?! :P
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I am interested in how the topo map overlay was done...

Would you care to share?

Was it a simple image overlay? or some other method

Thanks
Matt

JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yeah Jim, that area is great. I've done the Waterman/Twin Peaks area and PCT from Islip to Baden-Powell so I've seen a good bit of that area and its great. Will definitely be going back to check out some more.

Post by 406 »

that looks horrible
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:I am interested in how the topo map overlay was done...

Would you care to share?

Was it a simple image overlay? or some other method

Thanks
Matt

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. That overlay is pretty cool. I hadn't seen that before.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Generate google earth overlays here...

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/kml_overlay
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yup, I was just messing around with that GPS visualizer site and found it. There's different options, but you can download the topo map overlays based on the coordinates in your gps file, and it will open in in gEarth. then of course you can overlay your track on there too. looks like you can add a bunch of different overlays, then adjust their opacity as well to get the image you want. pretty freaking cool
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote: Should a done the loop. :?
Are you advocating illegally entering a trail?! :P
NO, you dork! you don't go up the Rattlesnake trail. Go up to Buckhorn and back the ach! And if you had done it then you would have seen that girl on the road! :P
PS. (that was no ranger, it was me wearing stuff to look like one! I totally thought you were on to me when I kept bugging you.) :lol: :P
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

That topo map overlay is pretty cool. Great pictures - I need to do some hiking in that area soon.

Every once in a while there will be a hiker that shows up who isn't ready for the planned hike. This happens even when people have been given enough information to know what to expect - that's the tough part about organizing group hikes with people you are not familiar with. At the same time, think of all the great people you would never meet if you didn't organize these hikes.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

HikeUp wrote:Generate google earth overlays here...

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/kml_overlay
One very interesting effect is to adjust the transparency of the overlay....

Nice... The only program that I found that did that was Topofusion

Stone Canyon Trail (the white track is the Stone Cyn trail as shown on the 1939 USGS 6x6min topo)

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice!

1939 6' x 6'? Where do you get these maps?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Nice!

1939 6' x 6'? Where do you get these maps?
http://cricket.csuchico.edu/spcfotos/ma ... earch.html

Once upon a time you where able to download the entire file which I did...

La Cresenta 1939 6x6 USGS topo

One map I have only briefly seen and would like to study in more detail is the 30x15 1900 Tujunga USGS topo :D

Have not had much luck finding a copy seems rare for some reason

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What type of file is a .sid file? I'm not familiar with that type of file.

I love old maps. I've got a lot of my dad's old 15' War Dept. maps from the 40's and 50's for the Sierra and also local maps. Pretty cool stuff. I probably should donate them to the Huntington or something. They're just in a closet right now.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:What type of file is a .sid file? I'm not familiar with that type of file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MrSID

Expressview Plugin for windows
Hikin_Jim wrote:I love old maps. I've got a lot of my dad's old 15' War Dept. maps from the 40's and 50's for the Sierra and also local maps. Pretty cool stuff. I probably should donate them to the Huntington or something. They're just in a closet right now.
Can't get enough of that old map stuff! I have a large collection of paper maps (analog) too...

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Neat old map. Shows all the cabins (houses?) up in Haines Canyon that are just ruins now. So few streets in La Crescenta back in the day, but the general layout of Tujunga is much like today. How cool is that? :)

Pretty amazing amount of detail too. 25' contour intervals with 5' supplemental intervals. Wow.

Hey, Matt, thanks. Cool stuff.

By the way, do you know any libraries that might be interested in the old maps that I have? Just getting them scanned would be cool so that they are preserved. Perhaps Chico State where you got your map from, but they're a little far away. The Bancroft Library at Bereley has a bit of a reputation for such things but they too are a bit far away.

I wonder if the Huntington would be interested. Any thoughts? I guess I could just call them. :)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Neat old map. Shows all the cabins (houses?) up in Haines Canyon that are just ruins now.
I believe that area was known as "Azteca", why it was on the 1939 topo when it was washed away in 1938 is a mystery to me...
Hikin_Jim wrote: So few streets in La Crescenta back in the day, but the general layout of Tujunga is much like today. How cool is that? :)
It was quite spread out for sure, lots of farming etc.. not a bedroom community as it is now.
Hikin_Jim wrote: By the way, do you know any libraries that might be interested in the old maps that I have? Any thoughts? I guess I could just call them. :)
Can't really say for sure. CSUN has a geography department, the Los Angeles Public Library might need em as well...

Sunland Tujunga Historical Society in Bolton Hall might have an interest as well

I'd make a list of the maps available, a 1900 Tujunga would be a gem for sure.

Unfortunately many of these old maps just get tossed out... Any old Forest Service maps or other local maps would certainly be of interest to me.

Cheers
Matt
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great Pictures, nice TR, have had one very bad experience with ranger three years ago in San G area where the permit was wrong, she initialed it, gave it back to me, chased me down an hour later at 1,000 foot higher elevation, took away the permit, she got very rude with me :evil: and gave me a ticket, which I fought in US Dictrict Court and won the case in Riverside :lol: . But it's been my experience most of the rangers want to help or are friendly to talk to most of the time. :D

That being said I did my best to figure out the Mapping Software with Overlays but must be doing it wrong.

Those of you who use that software all the time, can you give me a run down on how to do it right?

I would like to start showing the map of the big hikes I do - like the 9 Peaks hike this past Saturday - would like to be able to give the other hikers insight to it before they attempt it.

Thanks
lilbimo
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That's a good idea to inventory what I've got, which I haven't yet done.

I'll have to make some inquiries as to who might be interested in the maps. My only stipulation would be that they need to be digitized and made available to the public. It would be nice to see my dad's collection preserved even if just in electronic form. It would also be a nice tribute to him that his love of hiking lives on to serve others. When I get some time, I'll compile an inventory. I'll post my inventory here first.

I've got USFS maps from 20 years ago, but those probably aren't old enough to be of interest. I also have a lot of 1:50,000 15' military topo maps for the San Gabs, San Berdoos, and San Jacs that I ordered when I was still in the USAR about 20 years ago. Those DMA (Defense Mapping Agency) maps would probably be more of a curiousity than anything really useful unless you just wanted an overview map for planning. For overview maps, I generally just use Tom Harrison's maps although there are a lot of areas he doesn't cover.

HJ
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

lilbitmo wrote: That being said I did my best to figure out the Mapping Software with Overlays but must be doing it wrong.

Those of you who use that software all the time, can you give me a run down on how to do it right?
Well using the default settings on the KML overlay just enter your zipcode in the Location box on the left...

Then click Create Overlay button on the right

Huh? nothing happens... Wait... eventually you'll get a screen

Your KML overlay parameters have been processed.

Click on the green "Click here to download your overlay" I'd just open the file with GE but you can save it to your PC

Click here to download your overlay

Of course this all assumes you have Google Earth installed and running on your computer :oops:

Matt
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks Matt, I play till I get it right.

lilbitmo :D