More Mt. Lukens

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Another route up Mt. Lukens is described here: http://www.latrails.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10&p=81#p81
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

It is on Private Property past the forest boundary

I know the guys that where restoring the trail and where contacted by the property owners lawyer and told to stop work and stay off the property.

But it is a route that has existed for many many years disappearing and reappearing on the topo maps from time to time

I call it Pickens Cyn tr

This snipit from the 1939 La Crescenta shows it

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:It is on Private Property past the forest boundary

I know the guys that where restoring the trail and where contacted by the property owners lawyer and told to stop work and stay off the property.

But it is a route that has existed for many many years disappearing and reappearing on the topo maps from time to time

I call it Pickens Cyn tr

This snipit from the 1939 La Crescenta shows it

Matt:

Do you mean it's private property from the forest boundary south to Maurice Ave? Interesting.

Of course, legally, it's a public right-of-way, having existed and been open to the public more than seven years. I've never had an access problem, but I haven't been up the trail for a while.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Another map of the same area. ACMEfu!!! :twisted:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Do you mean it's private property from the forest boundary south to Maurice Ave? Interesting.
That is correct
Hikin_Jim wrote: Of course, legally, it's a public right-of-way, having existed and been open to the public more than seven years. I've never had an access problem, but I haven't been up the trail for a while.
I won't argue the legality of the issue but at the time the cease and desist letter was sent a fence was put up and no trespassing signs where posted on Maurice Ave.

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Do you mean it's private property from the forest boundary south to Maurice Ave? Interesting.
That is correct
Hikin_Jim wrote:Of course, legally, it's a public right-of-way, having existed and been open to the public more than seven years. I've never had an access problem, but I haven't been up the trail for a while.
I won't argue the legality of the issue but at the time the cease and desist letter was sent a fence was put up and no trespassing signs where posted on Maurice Ave.

Matt
I'm not sure that I want to take on a legal "project," but I do know that in Altadena there have been some successful "right of way" suits. Also, some or all of the top of Mt. Wilson is private. There was an attempt to close it down (this was quite some years back). There was, thank God, a successful suit that forced them to keep it open. Even when an amusment park was operated there for a while (Skyline Village?), hikers could still enter free.

As I think about it, I haven't hiked Lukens using the Maurice Ave "trailhead" for quite some time. Dad used to like it since the trailhead was walking distance from his house in Briggs Terrace, but at least since he died in '04, I haven't hiked that route.

Do you know about when did that fence went up?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Do you know about when did that fence went up?
As I recall it was sometime in early to mid 2005

Matt
As a FYI
The impression I got was that the owner wanted to sell or somehow transfer the land to the city or county upon their death and just wanted to be left alone...

Similar to the Hall-Beckley Cyn property
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Do you know about when did that fence went up?
As I recall it was sometime in early to mid 2005

Matt
As a FYI
The impression I got was that the owner wanted to sell or somehow transfer the land to the city or county upon their death and just wanted to be left alone...

Similar to the Hall-Beckley Cyn property
Ah. Perhaps an issue better left alone.

Interestesting that there has been a trail there for so long. I guess Lukens' proximity to town has made it popular? Three trails to the peak; that's pretty good for a peak that's not particularly well known.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Interestesting that there has been a trail there for so long. I guess Lukens' proximity to town has made it popular? Three trails to the peak; that's pretty good for a peak that's not particularly well known.
Three trails?

Eh? Mt Lukens PDF map
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: Interestesting that there has been a trail there for so long. I guess Lukens' proximity to town has made it popular? Three trails to the peak; that's pretty good for a peak that's not particularly well known.
Three trails?

Eh? Mt Lukens PDF map
lol. Sorry. Three historic trails might be a better way to put it. Back when that old map that you posted was made, I believe there were three trails:
-Sister Elsie
-Stone Canyon
-Pickens Canyon
I'm not including the fire road itself except where a trail connects to the fire road to complete the ascent.

Obviously, there are quite a few more trails up there now.

By the way, where did you get that nice line map? It's a great overview of the Lukens area.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: By the way, where did you get that nice line map? It's a great overview of the Lukens area.
I made it....

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: By the way, where did you get that nice line map? It's a great overview of the Lukens area.
I made it...
For real? :shock: Dang, that's a really professional product.

So, are there any maps you haven't mastered? :D