Salomon Speedcross 2

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Got some new kicks, yo. I can't really "test" them out until we get some snow. They are my everyday shoe, but the chevrons on the bottom are a tad soft, so I'll probably get a pair of lazy fat bastard cushioned shoes for work and things that do not involve fun.

Gear review on Summitpost.org: http://www.spgear.org/view_object.php?object_id=5648

Since I can only guess how they'll perform... I will. I think they'll do good in those spots where you'd otherwise need crampons, or two trekking poles, but don't feel like breaking down and putting crampons on etc etc. Them little chevron dealies should do the trick.

This is my third pair of Salomon shoes. First was a pair of XA Pro 3D's, and the second was a Goretex version of those. Loved both. Lasted a LONG time. Goretex ones are suggested above the standard mesh ones, as they last longer, prevent lotsa crap from getting in, and can be used on basic winter mountaineering trips with a gaiter.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if anyone knows of a place that sells climbing soles/rubbers (huhuh, he said rubber), that would be cool. I plan on getting my old-but-still-kicking (har) XA's and putting some good sticky rubber on there as a sort of funky ghetto approach shoe of doom.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Got some new kicks, yo. I can't really "test" them out until we get some snow...I think they'll do good in those spots where you'd otherwise need crampons, or two trekking poles, but don't feel like breaking down and putting crampons on etc etc. Them little chevron dealies should do the trick.
Those little soft rubber thingys will replace crampons? :shock: Ju chur 'bout dat, mon?
TacoDelRio wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, if anyone knows of a place that sells climbing soles/rubbers (huhuh, he said rubber), that would be cool. I plan on getting my old-but-still-kicking (har) XA's and putting some good sticky rubber on there as a sort of funky ghetto approach shoe of doom.
Dunno if did is wot u r looking for, but here ya are: http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Not REPLACE, but allow one to move across sections where it woudl otherwise be a pain in the ass to put crampons on just to remove them in 50-100ft or something. Those who know what I mean by this, know what I mean. :lol: I've never been good at explaining anything.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever said "replace". Don't make any safety nazi's jump on me now, Jim!

Kinda like the Rubber Room, but I want to do it myself, just purchasing a slab of rubber and putting it on, so to speak.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Eh, these strike me as dedicated "snowrunners" rather than trail shoes. They look like they'll wear pretty quickly on rock and asphalt, and not provide ideal traction for anything but non-icy snow.

Get another pair of XA's for trail and road use, homes.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I did a 5 mile run in them today, and they felt good. I doubt the thingies would hold up on asphalt as you said. I'm gonna get some cheap bastard runners as soon as I can afford it (February-ish, probably).

I'd get other shoes if I wasn't in an insanely desperate financial situation that has me about to completely explode. :x :( I do have my old, beat pair of XA's that I plan on resoling and making into high speed approach shoes. And, a pair of OK-condition Merrell Salamander 2's that were put on the market to infuriate me and force me to kill them with insane amounts of bullets. :lol:
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

What's your shoe size? I've got some new Chameleon II Stretch's in 10.5 that don't fit me.

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol: I've got a nearly-identical pair in my garage. I wear 14, 13's in Salomons.

Thanks though dude!