Sugarloaf and Ontario via FRC, 14-Sept-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I went up to Sugarloaf today via Falling Rock Canyon. Then I took the ridge up to Ontario. I returned via FRC from the top. I tried to do this route a few months ago but at that time I couldn't get past the first waterfall.

I took Travis' route to Sugarloaf, which is basically turn right at 6100' and go straight up the east side of Sugarloaf. There is no trail, you just go straight up. It's very steep and loose--it felt like I was climbing in the winter. The topo said it was a 700 ft climb over 0.2 miles so I guess that works out to be 3500 ft/mile. Looked like around 25-30° to me.

The ridge to Ontario is pretty straightforward but again there is no trail. There are some ducks here and there but you pretty much pick your own path. As you get near the top, the area is littered with debris. There are a gazillion fallen logs everywhere and a lot of low brush.

After Ontario I was going to go to Bighorn but I was lazy and decided to go home. I thought going back down FRC would be faster, but it really wasn't. It takes awhile to get down FRC because this place is filled with crap. It's like nature's dumpster. Everywhere there are fallen logs, branches, big rocks, little rocks, even a '69 Chevy. Okay, maybe not the Chevy, but at around 6800', the canyon is full of vegetation. There is actually a small stream there and it flows into the upper waterfall at 6700' then disappears a short time later. You bypass the waterfall on the left (west side). The middle waterfall at 6600' is dry and you also bypass it on the left. This perfectly matches Christopher Brennen's description.

Btw, I didn't see another person the whole day. Last entry on Sugarloaf was 8/30/08 and a couple of people signed in at Ontario. Saw three deer in FRC and maybe some bear scat. Tons of flies too. They're not gone yet.

FRC, just above the first (lower) waterfall

The ridge to Ontario as viewed from Sugarloaf

The upper waterfall at 6700'

The middle waterfall at 6600'

These two views were taken at the top of the upper waterfall.
Looking up the canyon.
Looking down the canyon. After that plant is the waterfall. You need to cross the stream and go left. The right side is a shear vertical wall.
Image Image
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Don't you love the top of FRC coming down from the saddle? Ankle crusher zone.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the TR Tim. I've never been up FRC and this helps a bunch. I'll wait for the flies to go away though.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Need a helmet for this one?
Tim

Post by Tim »

JMunaretto wrote:Need a helmet for this one?
Nope, but keep eyes and ears open in the lower canyon just in case.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Ok so lets see if I'm getting the general sense of this. I've taken a look at the canyon from Google Earth as well.

Start up IHC trail to the first switchback, about 1/2 mile up. Turn south and hit FRC. Hopefully do not mistake with Fir Draw just east of the canyon.

Head up the canyon, and locate use trail east of the 1st waterfall to bypass. After, continue strait up the canyon, which requires some class 2 (& class 3).

Continue up, and as you said, at about 6100 ft you can turn west directly toward the Sugarloaf summit on steep scree. Or, you could head southwest to the saddle, then head northwest to the summit.

Head down the ridge back to this saddle, then continue up the ridge toward Ontario. From Ontario, I can take the ridge across to Bighorn, then down to the Bighorn / Cucamonga Saddle.

Sound about right?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Joe, sorry to butt in, but that agrees with my understanding of the route. If ya want company (at least up to Sugarloaf), I'd be game.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Basically. It's hard to get lost while going east from the parking lot. I got lost once going west (home).

It's all straightforward past that first waterfall.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I gave this one a try last Saturday. All was well up to about 6400'. I was in the middle of the scree slope and my hip was hurting like hell. I had done something to it running about a week ago and something about the scree really pissed it off. I bailed out and went down. :cry: It is a nice climb, though.

JMunaretto -- your description is good.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Joe, you've basically got it. At that first mini switchback you could cross the creek and go towards the south side but you'll still be a little west of FRC. You'll then need to continue east a bit more over a pretty nasty area infested with flies (if they're still around) and used sex toys (I'm not kidding). Instead of crossing over that early, you could continue east on the IHC trail for about 50-100 ft and you'll see this big yucca plant on the left. Get off the trail here, cross the creek, head due south and you should pick up the large boulder field that leads to the first waterfall.

Go to the left (east) of the waterfall and a little bit above it near some trees. There is sort of a use trail, but not really.

The right turn at around 6100' to Sugarloaf is a full-on direct assault on the east slope. It is extremely steep and loose. I think most people usually go further up the canyon to the saddle and then climb up to the ridge to Sugarloaf. FRC levels out a bit between 6100' and the saddle.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dildo canyon?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

HikeUp wrote:Joe, sorry to butt in, but that agrees with my understanding of the route. If ya want company (at least up to Sugarloaf), I'd be game.
I'm planning on taking a few people up this on 10/11, you are welcome to join! I'll be continuing on to Ontario, Bighorn, & Cucamonga.

I'll make sure its a limited group, as a hiker mentioned, probably not good to have too many people around those scree slopes at the same time!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Awesome guys, thanks for the info.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, those scree slopes aren't so great with anyone else above you (or anyone else)... wish I could speak English properly. Becomes a bowling alley.
Tim

Post by Tim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Dildo canyon?
Strap-on couloir. Debating if I should post the picture... :twisted:

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh god.

Go for it. :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:I gave this one a try last Saturday. All was well up to about 6400'. I was in the middle of the scree slope and my hip was hurting like hell. I had done something to it running about a week ago and something about the scree really pissed it off. I bailed out and went down. :cry: It is a nice climb, though.
Alan - What's the descent like? Any spots of special concern?

Joe - I might head up to the Loaf that weekend but will probably start earlier than your group. Keep an eye out for a body...shouldn't be too bloated by the time you find me! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAH!

Tim, if you want a winter route due to your video, that might be a good name.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:What's the descent like? Any spots of special concern?
It's not bad. You get to see everything heading up so there are no surprises.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Alright I'm excited for this one! Headed up with ~ 5 people tomorrow morning, 8 am. HikeUp, are you gonna try?

Edit to add: Barring rain. I know there's a chance of showers in the morning, so if that happens will have to bail out of FRC and go up to IHC trail. :(
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:HikeUp, are you gonna try?
I'm planning on being at the TH around 7am. See ya if I see ya!

Edit: Guess not. Overslept!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
JMunaretto wrote:HikeUp, are you gonna try?
I'm planning on being at the TH around 7am. See ya if I see ya!

Edit: Guess not. Overslept!
Too much beer the night before? :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Too much beer the night before? :lol:
Got a problem with that? :wink:

Actually it was very windy at our house that night for a few hours. I don't sleep much when it's windy!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
[hic] schuksh no. [hic] isch fine wisch me. ;)
HikeUp wrote:Actually it was very windy at our house that night for a few hours. I don't sleep much when it's windy!
I keep hoping that the wind will knock out power so my alarm won't go off and I'll have the perfect excuse to not go into to work on time. No such luck.

On the other hand, the drive into Pasadena this morning was the fastest I've ever done in my life. The 210 is closed from the 118 to Lowell Ave (as of 8:30 this AM). I got on the freeway with maybe 1 or 2 other cars on the road. I put the cruise control on 75. Pretty sweet. None of the usual jam up around the 2 and the 210 intersection.

The worrisome thing is why is the road closed at Lowell? Why not Sunland? Are they expecting the fire to come my way!!?? :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:The worrisome thing is why is the road closed at Lowell? Why not Sunland? Are they expecting the fire to come my way!!?? :shock:
Jim, from my office window in Burbank I can see the fire. It is burning north and has just crested the ridge east of Kagel Mt. at the point on this map...ACME map

Doesn't appear to be burning on the south and east flanks anymore.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, looks like the winds are keeping it on the NW side of the Big T channel.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... urce=embed

Still, it's a little close for comfort. I live near the interesection of Commerce Ave and Foothill Blvd. in Tujunga.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:
ask your liver!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

FIGHT ON wrote:
HikeUp wrote:
ask your liver!
I plan on dying 5 seconds before my liver gives out, thank you very much.