Fishfork from Lupine 10/9/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hiked up the Fishfork trail from Lupine today. Other than my faithful pooch, I was unable to talk anyone else in to going :roll: Pretty cool hike though. 8)
When I have more time I'll definately investigate all the little trails and offshoots, although I think they all end up in the same place?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N ... 889590408/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:Hiked up the Fishfork trail from Lupine today. Other than my faithful pooch, I was unable to talk anyone else in to going :roll:
If you're in the Wrightwood area, you probably already know about this forum: http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/in ... ?board=9.0 but I mention it just in case you hadn't considered it as a possible way to connect with other people to hike with.
Bill wrote:When I have more time I'll definately investigate all the little trails and offshoots, although I think they all end up in the same place?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N ... 889590408/
Wow. I don't remember all those trails like that. I remember that it was an old road up from Lupine and then a trail down into the canyon. At the first water (Little Fish Fork, a side stream of Fish Fork), there were some flat spots where one could camp (Little Fish Fork Camp). Shortly after crossing the first water, the trail split into two. The left fork went up to Pine-Dawson Saddle, and the right fork went down to Fish Fork proper. About where the trail hit Fish Fork, there was another area suitable for camping (Upper Fish Fork Camp). Below the camp, one could follow Fish Fork for a mile or so to the falls.

Robinson's 1984 version of Trails of the Angeles says that the trail split occurs prior to coming to Little Fish Fork Camp, but Tom Harrison's map appears to show it after the camp. Robinson's Trails of the Angeles describes Upper Fish Fork Trail Camp as the most remote trail camp in the Angeles.

Sounds like a good place to scout. :)
kgw

Post by kgw »

Looonngg time ago, I drove down Blue Ridge Road to Prairie Fork in my 1958 VW beetle with its awesome 36hp engine. We (wife, a friend, and myself) spent the night, and in the morning drove up the other ridge on this road that was so small, my wife insisted on walking behind the car. The road ended at the ridgetop, where the trail to Upper Fish Fork started. We hiked down into the canyon and enjoyed its remoteness :lol: I recommend it. I believe (from the Trails of the Angeles, if I remember correctly) that some of the oldest rocks in the San Gabriels are exposed near the creek down there. Vishnu Schist.
Bill

Post by Bill »

kgw wrote:Looonngg time ago, I drove down Blue Ridge Road to Prairie Fork in my 1958 VW beetle with its awesome 36hp engine. We (wife, a friend, and myself) spent the night, and in the morning drove up the other ridge on this road that was so small, my wife insisted on walking behind the car. The road ended at the ridgetop, where the trail to Upper Fish Fork started. We hiked down into the canyon and enjoyed its remoteness :lol: I recommend it. I believe (from the Trails of the Angeles, if I remember correctly) that some of the oldest rocks in the San Gabriels are exposed near the creek down there. Vishnu Schist.
I look forward to giving it a closer look next week! 8)
Maybe I'll find Elvis! :lol:
I was wondering if there was any acess down to Eastfork. Robinson does'nt seem to indicate any.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Eastfork: I don't think so. You come to a steep fall fairly soon downstream from the camp.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:I look forward to giving it a closer look next week! 8)
Let us know how it looks. I'm going to have to try to get out there before they close the gate for the season. A very intriguing area.
Bill wrote:Maybe I'll find Elvis! :lol:
Just follow the smell of the peanut butter and banana sandwiches... :lol: