Tahquitz, Red Tahquitz

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I did a little BP over in the San Jacintos this past weekend. It was a really nice trip overall. Here are some photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/jim.barbour ... #slideshow

Saturday was cold, windy, and wet, but Sunday was cool, calm, and clear. We climbed Tahquitz Pk on Saturday in a gray mist. The visibility was down to 10 feet at times. We all wore GoreTex most of the day. Saturday afternoon, we just chilled in our tents. Fortunately, I have a Big Agnes tent that is pretty roomy. My friend, Jared, and I just talked, read, and took a nap. Our group had a really nice "happy hour" (a backpacker's potluck). We had indian food, fresh fruit, brownies, Israeli chocolate spread, pasta, two kinds of wine, and all sorts of other goodies. Apparently, it's not just the army that travels on its stomach. :)

Sunday, we did an XC route to Red Tahquitz. I hadn't been up Red Tahquitz for about 20 years, and I had forgotten what a spectacular view there is to be had from the summit. I'm not sure that Red Tahquitz's view can outdo the summit of San Jacinto itself, but it comes close.

This was the final requirement for Jared and me to complete our Sierra Club Wilderness Travel Course (WTC), so we were quite happy to complete the trip. The margaritas at La Casita are quite good by the way. :)
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

awesome!

i need to get up there before the snow and ice get there!
kgw

Post by kgw »

Great place to spend some time, Jim! Xlnt photos of the ridges. . .
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures. NWS FTL indeed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks all regarding the pictures. I in particular want to get out on the Desert Divide again. I haven't been out there in years. Antsell Rock is really fun class 3. Interesting little visited country.
HikeUp wrote:NWS FTL indeed.
I knew there was a problem when they were predicting lows in the 50's at 8000' but lows in the 40's at 5000'. Looks like the ol' computer model needs a little work.

Post by 406 »

Looks like a good trip. Nice photos.

Were you expecting a hurricane when you guyed your tent? :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:Looks like a good trip. Nice photos.

Were you expecting a hurricane when you guyed your tent? :D
Actually, we were (kind of). They were predicting 50mph wind gusts. It got pretty darned windy Saturday night, but we had no problems with wind or weather. There wasn't a lot of rain, but it was no night to sleep in the open. BTW, I'm really happy with my Big Agnes tent. I've gone through some gnarly thunderstorms and have never gotten a drop of water inside.

OK, so get me a duncecap, but how do you link to individual photos in Google's picasaweb? I know how to look at the html underneath, get the address of the jpg, and to paste it into a message, but my links always seem to fail after a day or so. What do you do to get a permanent link?

HJ

Post by 406 »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
OK, so get me a duncecap, but how do you link to individual photos in picasaweb? I know how to look at the html underneath, but my links always seem to fail after a day or so. What do you do to get a permanent link? Is that a feature for paying customers?

HJ
I had the same problem and gave up on picasaweb for linking to forums.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:OK, so get me a duncecap, but how do you link to individual photos in picasaweb? I know how to look at the html underneath, but my links always seem to fail after a day or so. What do you do to get a permanent link? Is that a feature for paying customers?

HJ
I had the same problem and gave up on picasaweb for linking to forums.
So, how did you get the pic of my tent to appear inline? Or will that link "die" in a day or two? I notice that some people (Joseph) are able to display pics inline in a post and that the links seem stable. Color me clueless. :oops:

Post by 406 »

Not sure...While viewing the slide show I right click and select view image. cut and paste http://lh6.ggpht.com/jim.barbour/SOqKaw ... 86_adj.JPG

between [ img].

What I remember from the problems I had, google changes the "AAAAAAAAFzs/JHi9HUND0jQ" part of the address after some time or if you logout of google or something.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Let's see how long this lasts. . . :D
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

406's link is already dead to me- that didn't make it a day.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:Not sure...While viewing the slide show I right click and select view image. cut and paste http://lh6.ggpht.com/jim.barbour/SOqKaw ... 86_adj.JPG

between [ img].

What I remember from the problems I had, google changes the "AAAAAAAAFzs/JHi9HUND0jQ" part of the address after some time or if you logout of google or something.
Yeah, I think that's what happened when I posted pix too.

It seems like Joseph's stuff stays stable. :? :?