Girlfriend is great

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

She bought me a GPS - the Garmon 60CSx!

Haven't had a chance to use it yet (or figure it out), but seems like I'll easily be able to track a route.

Quick question - will the unit automatically create points with a certain (frequency / distance / time) that are saved which can then be downloaded. I'm assuming I don't have to manually create 'Mark' those points?
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

correct. just leave it on while you are hiking and it will draw a track of where you went. I find they are more accurate if i strap it to the outside of my pack.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice! She didn't just get you a GPS, she got you a really good one! A lot of people still prefer the 60CSx over the the newer Colorado and Oregon.

Now get yourself a microSD card and load up on free topo maps: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/

Btw, like hvydrt mentioned, the tracklog feature should be on by default but double check that it is set to on in the Track menu. You can turn it on and off.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Cool! The 60x's are great. I got one for myself a few months ago. My old Standard Horizon handheld finally died. The California Topo map, the free one, is good, and, for my sailing habit, I bought the Blue Charts America region whatever for the local area. 2 gig micro sd's are the max size to use under the batteries. Both the above charts use up a hair more than 1 gig. This leaves room for saving tracks to the micro sd's.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Now, wait a minute, are you listing your girlfriend in the gear section or the gps? :lol: :lol:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

the gps for the love of god. I can think of another section or two the girlfriend would go under! :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Fauna?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, I'm sure Joseph considers her a fox. :lol:

Hey, Joseph, changing the subject slightly, how do you keep your photos from picasaweb "persistent" when you post them inline?

For example, this inline photo from one of your old posts seems to still work:

While a much more recent photo posted by 406 has already failed:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

HikeUp wrote:Fauna?
Use your imagination!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Picasa must just like me, Jim, b/c I have no idea! All I can say is I go to the image I want. Then on the right side there are 'link' and 'embed' options...I use the embed option. If I want to remove the crap with it and the linking to the page, I edit out the fluff but keep the url for the image. This refers to a specific image (.jpg) while the url in the 'link' does not.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:Picasa must just like me, Jim, b/c I have no idea! All I can say is I go to the image I want. Then on the right side there are 'link' and 'embed' options...I use the embed option. If I want to remove the crap with it and the linking to the page, I edit out the fluff but keep the url for the image. This refers to a specific image (.jpg) while the url in the 'link' does not.
Interesting!! When using your technique as opposed to just looking at the underlying technique, two different URL's are returned. Below, the first URL is using the embed option, and the second is using the underlying code. Let's see which one remains active longer.

JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

well 2nd image is gone!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interestingly, you can click on the non-working image, cut and paste the URL into a browser window, and the image will appear. When you go back to the forum, the image then works just fine.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

still doesn't work for me! hmm....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Did you try the right click, select properties, cut and paste the URL into a separate browser thing?

Try re-loading the page after you've done the above.