Man missing in Ice House Canyon/Mt. Baldy area Update: found

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

realshafer

Post by realshafer »

Hi, just thought I'd comment since I was in the area yesterday when he went missing. I first heard of the incident around 2 miles up the Icehouse Trail from a 20 something guy hiking down by himself. It was probably 1:30pm and he looked worried, but only asked me if I'd seen a guy in a red shirt, which I hadn't. I continued up to the Chapman Trail via Telegraph Wash. Passed a middle aged guy with a dog at the Ceder Glen camp who hadn't seen anything. A family later on near the trailhead was also informed and on the look out. Back at my car two guys were on a radio asking for assistance. They looked like they were SAR or something. That was about 3:45pm. Hope they find this red-shirted guy.
Tim

Post by Tim »

From the Press-Enterprise: http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/news/d ... -lost.html
Search teams are combing a portion of Mt. Baldy for a 20-year-old Ontario hiker who disappeared yesterday during a church outing, San Bernardino County sheriff's officials say.

"They just went for a day hike," sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire said shortly before 8:30 a.m.

Francisco Felix was last seen about 1 p.m. Wednesday between the trail head and Ice House Saddle. He'd started the hike with 12 to 15 members of a West End congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Wiltshire said.

Thirteen members of a sheriff's search and rescue team are looking for Felix.

He isn't an experienced hiker but was carrying a backpack containing food and water, Wiltshire said. Felix moved to Ontario about a year ago.

"His family is from back east and they're enroute to the command post," Wiltshire said.
Tim

Post by Tim »

That's good news. The article said he as able to get in contact with SAR and was found in Cucamonga Canyon. This is the canyon below the Bighorn-Cucamonga Saddle: http://www.dankat.com/advents/maps/uprcuc.htm

I wonder if he got mixed up at Icehouse Saddle with all those trails going in every direction and took the trail to Cucamonga. Being a weekday, there was probably no one around the area near Cucamonga. When he got to the saddle maybe he realized he was lost, panicked and went down Cucamonga Canyon towards the city below. But it takes four rappels to descend that canyon. So he gave up, sat on a rock and made a call to 911. Poor guy.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Until it happens to me, I'll never understand how 14 people lose track of 1 and vice versa.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Tim wrote:When he got to the saddle maybe he realized he was lost, panicked and went down Cucamonga Canyon towards the city below.
From the article: "The Ontario resident was hiking in the vicinity of Ice House Saddle . . ."

He was just trying to walk home.
Nunc est bibendum
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've been on several large group hikes. It can definitely happen, depending on how loosely organized the group is. Some people will always want to go ahead and others will want to stay behind. It's hard to keep a big group together unless the leader insists on it. The other thing is 20-something males don't always listen :lol: (that's just a joke--not saying that's what happened here)
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

If I was new to hiking, and didnt have overnight gear, I'd be freaked out by all the sounds and possibility of animals getting me during the night.

I feel bad for the guy.

On that note even now, on a day hike(I dont take overnight gear ever) I'd be kinda freaked out. Hurrah for maps and knowledge of the area.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

damn, I thought maybe he did an exploration trek down one of those south ridges of Cucamonga and was gonna give a TR
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:damn, I thought maybe he did an exploration trek down one of those south ridges of Cucamonga and was gonna give a TR
Your check must have bounced! :D