Silver Moccasin Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Late yesterday afternoon, I drove to the Silver Moccasin trailhead off SR2 and did a trail run. I ran to Charlton Flats (4 miles according to the signs) and then to Chilao Campground (7 miles cumulative). On the return, I detoured 1.4 miles to the Vetter Mtn. Lookout.

My impressions. There sure are a lot of downed trees and branches between Charlton and Chilao. The skies were clear: great views of the front range from Strawberry to Wilson from the Lookout. One person was manning the Lookout (Jim) and he said they expected some thunderstorm activity on Tuesday.

During most of the run, I was hounded by clusters of bugs right in front of my face. I would not have continued the run had I not had my bandana with me; I covered my face below my eyes and that did the trick.

17 miles roundtrip- took me 3 hours, 40 minutes including a 15 minute chat with Jim at the Lookout. Terrific way to decompress from the work day. It was a great workout. Made me extra hungry and extra tired. Went to bed earlier than usual and slept like the proverbial log.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:Late yesterday afternoon, I drove to the Silver Moccasin trailhead off SR2 and did a trail run. I ran to Charlton Flats (4 miles according to the signs) and then to Chilao Campground (7 miles cumulative). On the return, I detoured 1.4 miles to the Vetter Mtn. Lookout.

My impressions. There sure are a lot of downed trees and branches between Charlton and Chilao. The skies were clear: great views of the front range from Strawberry to Wilson from the Lookout. One person was manning the Lookout (Jim) and he said they expected some thunderstorm activity on Tuesday.

During most of the run, I was hounded by clusters of bugs right in front of my face. I would not have continued the run had I not had my bandana with me; I covered my face below my eyes and that did the trick.

17 miles roundtrip- took me 3 hours, 40 minutes including a 15 minute chat with Jim at the Lookout. Terrific way to decompress from the work day. It was a great workout. Made me extra hungry and extra tired. Went to bed earlier than usual and slept like the proverbial log.
Started here?

This stuff all over the trail still?
zis where ya turned around?
Augie

Post by Augie »

Hey Fight On. Yep, I started and turned around right where your photos indicate. Your photos recreate my run exactly except for no patches of snow on the ground yesterday. The trees and brush are still all over the place. I must say, this trail is sure well marked, particularly that junction with the Vetter Mtn. Trail. There must be about 10 signs there! I even visited the Little Pines Campground before I turned around.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:Hey Fight On. Yep, I started where your photo indicates. Your photos recreated my run exactly except for no patches of snow on the ground yesterday. The trees and brush are still all over the place. I must say, this trail is sure well marked, particularly that junction with the Vetter Mtn. Trail. There must be about 10 signs there! I even visited the Big Pines Campground.
Can't believe all that stuff is still there. :roll:
Is the actual trail itself covered with the stuff or has it been moved to the sides?
I took those pics May 26th this year!
As soon as I got up to that parking lot at Charlton the chainsaws were roaring.
I know, Those signs are Very Clear at Vetter Mt.
I bet it was a nice run.
:D
Augie

Post by Augie »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Can't believe all that stuff is still there. :roll:
Is the actual trail itself covered with the stuff or has it been moved to the sides?
I took those pics May 26th this year!
As soon as I got up to that parking lot at Charlton the chainsaws were roaring.
I know, Those signs are Very Clear at Vetter Mt.
I bet it was a nice run.
:D
The stuff has been moved to the side; the trail is clear. You reminded me that I to heard the big buzz of chainsaws just as I approached Charlton. It was a very nice run.