Mt. Whitney Mountaineers Route Attempt, 7-Sept-2008

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Tim

Post by Tim »

My friend and I attempted a day hike of the MR on Sunday. We had to turn around at 13,400 ft due to altitude issues. This was our first time on the MR, but we've both summited the Main Trail before.

E-Ledges.

We took Bob R's Elephant Ear route up the North Fork to the Ebersbacher Ledges. This is not the normal route which crosses the creek and stays south. This route sort of follows the old route through the willow trees. There are a couple of short sections of Class 3 and a narrow 8" ledge about 30 ft high that must be crossed before reaching the E-Ledges.

We continued on to LBSL and UBSL, which was well marked with ducks. After UBSL, we took the waterfall pitch to Iceberg Lake. At the time, I thought this was the only way up and I didn't know there was an easier way if you continued further west (there is also the ridge route). We climbed up the right side of the waterfall, then traversed across it to the far left. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. We had to do a somewhat sketchy move to get around a big rock that stuck out onto a ledge.

On the way to Iceberg Lake with Whitney and the Needles in the background.

At Iceberg Lake we fueled up for the final climb. We took the Class 2/3 mini-chute to the left of the main chute, which eventually merges with the main chute at 13,400 ft. This merge was where my friend started to get a headache from the altitude. I didn't have a headache but was feeling nauseated so I didn't mind turning around. We did an acclimatization hike the previous day at 10,000 ft and camped there, but I guess this wasn't enough.

East face of Whitney and the MR chute.

The Class 3 climbing was great fun. The rock quality was excellent. There were numerous cracks that you could use for holds and to wedge your foot into. It was easy Class 3 and some parts could have been Class 2 scrambling on scree and loose boulders. I purposely avoided that stuff and tried to find as much real Class 3 as I could. I learned a lot and become comfortable with down climbing, which is something I've always been nervous about. The exposure didn't seem too bad, but if you fell I suppose you would roll down the chute for a ways and get banged up real good.

On the way back, it started to sprinkle as we got to LBSL. I was worried about descending the E-Ledges on the rain-slicken granite. Sure enough, as we exited the trees at the start of the ledges, I fell and slid down one of the sloping granite slabs. Where I landed was still 15 feet from the edge, but man that was too close. Still, I think this fall was more from fatigue and being careless. The rock was somewhat wet, but still passable.

We also made the rookie mistake of missing the right turn on the ledges and going too far east. Then we made another mistake by jumping down to the wrong ledge. Nothing looked familiar and we knew something was seriously wrong. After looking west and spotting a duck, we climbed back up and picked up the correct route.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i cant wait to make rookie mistakes on the MR..looks like fun
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I totally understand the turning back thing, but really just from a headache? I figured most people get a headache going up?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A headache can be a pretty dangerous thing on class 3 rock. Yes, it's "just" class 3, but you still need to be sharp. People have fallen to their deaths on the MR. If I didn't feel my timing and acuity were up for it, I'd bail too. 13,000' up on a rock ain't no place to be when your brain's groggy. :shock:
simonov

Post by simonov »

JMunaretto wrote:I totally understand the turning back thing, but really just from a headache? I figured most people get a headache going up?
I'd probably turn back with a headache, since I never get headaches.
Nunc est bibendum

Post by 406 »

Not many people on the route?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:My friend and I attempted a day hike of the MR on Sunday. We had to turn around at 13,400 ft due to altitude issues.
Tim. I've been wanting to do this but after my first time up to Whitney and experiencing this crap I figured it would be pretty hairy up above Iceberg Lake.
I guess you have to hang out a few more days before you can do it w/o the headache stuff. I'm glad you tried! :D
He219

Post by He219 »

Very nice Tim.
I'd like to scout this out myself and eventually do it in the winter.
Cheers!
:D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Pretty much what Jim said. We were more conservative because this was a climbing route. The higher we climbed the more we had to down climb.

I was okay with making the call because to be honest, I was really tired. I'm not sure what the problem was but I started to fade just 2 hours into the hike.

406, there were about 2 dozen people altogether in the North Fork. Most of them were overnighters coming down. We only saw two other people going up the MR that morning, plus at least two climbers doing technical routes up the east face/buttress etc.

Cheers to everyone else for the comments!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Came back today to finish this up. This time I went alone but at Iceberg Lake I met a very nice lady who happened to be a member of Sierra Madre Search and Rescue. She was very interesting and had a lot of stories. She was involved in many searches and the body recovery of Nicole Flatten at Mt. Wilson and Robert Bruner in Falling Rock Canyon over the winter. She had never done the full MR before and was also solo. She asked if we could partner up for the final climb and I said sure.

This time there was a bit of snow and ice in the top of the chute and over a good portion of the Final 400. These two were the hardest parts. The chute because it's so loose and you don't want to kick rocks down on the people below you. The Final 400 isn't too bad if it was dry. But today there was some snow and ice on the ledges in the middle. We were able to pick around most of it except for a tricky part about 15 feet from the top. I tried to not look at or think about the exposure, which was pretty airy. We both made it. We came down the Main Trail.

No headaches or nausea at all. I felt really good. Didn't do anything special either. Just drove up late Saturday, picked up the permit, ate some pizza and slept at the Portal. I guess you just get use to the altitude after awhile. But I think I'm done with Whitney now. There are so many other mountains left to climb.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:No headaches or nausea at all. I felt really good. Didn't do anything special either. picked up the permit I guess you just get use to the altitude after awhile. But I think I'm done with Whitney now.
About the same thing happened to me.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim. How come no pics?
I am interested in the last 15 feet.
Do you consider that a pretty scary climb? (from Iceberg)
I want to do that route but would not be happy if I got within 15 feet of the top and froze up. :shock:
Tim

Post by Tim »

FO, the climb above Iceberg Lake is terrifying if you're only use to trail hiking. This is real fall and go boom type of climbing. Above the notch, the climbing becomes more vertical and some people even consider the last 50 feet or so to be Class 4. I don't know enough to say if it really is Class 4, but a fall here, if it continued all the way down, would likely be fatal.

In our case, we came to a point where we had to do a certain move up to a ledge to get around a big section of snow and ice. This was the crux for me and I was leading. It wasn't a hard move. It just required a lot of faith. So I stood there for a long time, thinking whether or not I should do it or retreat and find another way. Eventually I did it and it wasn't so bad, but that's because nothing went wrong.

I didn't take very many pictures. Just too busy concentrating on the climbing.

MR chute

About a 1/3 of the way up the Final 400 above the notch

Just about to top out
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Wow! Thanks. I know I can physically do it. I really wanna do it. But I know that is the place not to learn what a class 3 or 4 is. Why didn't you go back the same way? Too spooky? Would be for me. Did you wear a helmet? How long did it take you from Iceberg to the summit?
Thanks for the pictures.
tomcat_rc

Post by tomcat_rc »

Congradulations on going back and finishing the trip.
MR is one of those routes I try and do 3-5 times a year - although only once this year due to foot injury. I prefer the left side of the snow/ice of the final 400 - but it is easy to miss where to turn to hit ridgeline - maybe this would help.

or this:

Image[/list]
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

looks like fun to me!
Tim

Post by Tim »

FO, yep on the helmet. I didn't feel like pushing my luck that day so I'll go back down the same way another time.

Tom, thanks! I'll have to try that ridge route next time. We did our traverse over to the right at a point much higher than in your second picture. In the picture where Susan is just about to top out you can see she's almost level to where you were in your picture on the ridge.
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

Tim wrote:The Final 400 isn't too bad if it was dry.
I hear ya. A couple years ago I did it, and there was leftover snow in areas, hail in all of the footholds and handholds, and all the rocks were wet. I had to brush the hail out and move slowly. The traverse was solid ice with a very narrow and icy walkway, so I opted for the less-dangerous climb. (One slip on the traverse would have been certain death.) It felt like the snow covered the easier areas, making it a class 4 climb. Does that sound accurate?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Maxwell's Demon wrote:It felt like the snow covered the easier areas, making it a class 4 climb. Does that sound accurate?
Yep, that sounds about right. There seemed to be a couple of easy paths to the right but they were covered in a large snow and ice tongue. That tongue was solid ice. I wouldn't walk on that even if I had my winter gear. This was death waiting to happen. You'd slide all the way down to the notch and get ejected over the north face.

There was also another path straight up, but it was very vertical and we weren't exactly sure where it went. Susan wanted to go that way because she wasn't comfortable with the exposure of traversing right. I wanted to go right because I could see where it led to the top. After I made it over the crux she felt more confident about going right. We still had to walk through some patches of snow, but there were hand holds to secure yourself with.

Btw, it's really nice to have a good climbing partner. Climbing is a lot like solving a puzzle so with a partner you can discuss things and help each other out. I was prepared to do this alone, but I'm happy to have met Susan. She was a great teammate.