Garmin GPS memory

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm thinking about upgrading the memory in my Garmin eTrex Vista Cx. Has anyone had good or bad experiences upgrading memory?

Currently I have a 64MB SanDisk MicroSD card in the slot in the battery compartment. When I upload tracks, waypoints, and maps into the unit, the upload seems to truncate (with no warning message) track data .... I'm hoping that upgrading memory might let me save all tracks.
What's the largest MicroSD chip I can use on Garmin eTrex Vista Cx?

When the products were launched in Jan 2006, 512MB was the largest available on the market, so the manuals and Garmin's web site answered this question with "512MB". You can still find references with that outdated answer.

1GB and 2GB MicroSD cards becamse available later in 2006. They work fine. Garmin specifially warns against the SanDisk Ultra II 1 Gb.

In 2007, 4GB and 6GB microSDHC cards became available. However, the units remain bound by a 2GB limit for a single map file in most mapping products. That's not terrible; 2GB holds the entire U.S. for any Mapsource product. The GPSes are limited to 2025 map tiles and the Topo product, in particular, uses tiny (county sized) tiles so it's easy to run into that limit long before you run into the 2GB limit.

City Navigator Europe v9 (NT-not) has been confirmed to support maps > 2GB and it appears that the 2GB limit still holds true if multiple mapping products are used.

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xser ... estmicrosd
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob wrote:I'm hoping that upgrading memory might let me save all tracks.
I upgraded from 64MB to 2GB and learned that more memory does NOT let me save all tracks. It seems that most Garmin units have a limit of 20 tracks, and installing larger memory cards does NOT change that limit.

Memory cards store maps, track archives, and points-of-interest (POIs) but not displayable tracks. There are workarounds -- none easy.

Prepping for a hike, when I upload data to my GPS unit, I must make sure that the sum of old tracks + possible new tracks is less than or equal to 20.